Sign in to follow this  
spilok

My "pauses" or stutters fixed!

There are several threads on this forum relating to P3d pauses and stutters.  I had them too.  I blamed ORBX like so many others did, and I have pretty much all of ORBX scenery and their Global, Vector, and LC North America and Europe. Additionally, I fly a lot near Orlando so I also have the new City Scene Orlando.

I would get relatively long pauses several times at critical flight situations (landing, etc), changing views, bad weather and clouds, etc.,  and it really annoyed me since my system is a state of the art Jetline system.

Well, today, I tried one more idea I read about on this forum, and that idea worked.  I tested it by loading KMCO (long load time, as usual), kept my sliders at full right in most of the autogen and World option screen, and took two flights:  Took off from KMCO in Embraer 170 in Active Sky weather to Miami.  Weather very overcast today, and I have the full Miami Scenery from Latin VFR.  NO PAUSES OR STUTTERS!  My second flight was 747 from Orlando to Philadelphia.  Very smooth...NO PAUSES.

My fix was this:  I turned off "AutoSave" in my paid version of FSUIPC!.  That simple.  For me, it worked, and it worked in very demanding scenery and weather.  I'm sold.  No more saves after crashes.  Not worth it.  Nice having a relatively smooth day of flying.

Stan

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, spilok said:

There are several threads on this forum relating to P3d pauses and stutters.  I had them too.  I blamed ORBX like so many others did, and I have pretty much all of ORBX scenery and their Global, Vector, and LC North America and Europe. Additionally, I fly a lot near Orlando so I also have the new City Scene Orlando.

I would get relatively long pauses several times at critical flight situations (landing, etc), changing views, bad weather and clouds, etc.,  and it really annoyed me since my system is a state of the art Jetline system.

Well, today, I tried one more idea I read about on this forum, and that idea worked.  I tested it by loading KMCO (long load time, as usual), kept my sliders at full right in most of the autogen and World option screen, and took two flights:  Took off from KMCO in Embraer 170 in Active Sky weather to Miami.  Weather very overcast today, and I have the full Miami Scenery from Latin VFR.  NO PAUSES OR STUTTERS!  My second flight was 747 from Orlando to Philadelphia.  Very smooth...NO PAUSES.

My fix was this:  I turned off "AutoSave" in my paid version of FSUIPC!.  That simple.  For me, it worked, and it worked in very demanding scenery and weather.  I'm sold.  No more saves after crashes.  Not worth it.  Nice having a relatively smooth day of flying.

Stan

This is a well known issue and the first thing most users make sure is off.

• Like 1

Matt Wilson

During critical phases of flight and I want a SAVE I just hit the ; key then the X key. Easy to remember my own saved (Autosave) flight.

1 hour ago, spilok said:

Stan

Had you ever enabled autosave in FSUIPC? Or was it ON by default?

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Stan,

Try this. I had the same issue as you and was very skeptical about this solution, but guess what no more stutters or pauses of up to 10 seconds and with autosave on. I don't remember the link but I did copy the text. Credit goes to the fellow who provided this solution.

Let me know if it works:

Hi Pete

I have amended my PC settings and used FSUIPC functions to eliminate the autosave issues under windows 10
and thought it might benefit others, subject to your approval

For me the 2-3 second hesitation was caused by windows antimalware service (Windows Defender)
using a lot PC  CPU/Memory resource. Unfortunately if realtime protection is turned off
manually it is automatically set to ON when the pc is next started.
However, Defender's settings options allows the user to add exclusions for:
specific folders / file types /processes and this was the fix I needed and it permanently
stops Defender causing the sim to pause.

If you have installed your own 3rd party antivirus/anti malware software check that
windows defender "realtime protection" is OFF

To access the settings screen
open the win 10 action center and select all settings
then Update and Security
select windows defender
select add an exclusion

The only exclusions actually needed was process-  adding the executable file for each sim,
I was taking no chances and included folders & file types to be 100% certain defender
does not quarantine/check any sim files
In processes I added
Prepar3d.exe

In folders I added;
c:/drive .... documents/folder names (where saved flight files are kept)for both sims
main install folder for each sim

In file types I added;
FLT
FSSAVE
WX
FLT.fmc
FLT.sav
FXML
FXML.fmc
FXML.sav

The hesitation was reduced significantly to a micro-pause (sometimes none) in both sims.

--------------------------------

This post was edited to be relevant for P3D only.

Good luck,

Jorge

• Like 1

If your PC is configured correctly (permissions and antivirus) the FSUIPC autosaves should be almost imperceptible. On my PC each autosave is a quarter second hiccup (a bit longer on some aircraft that have larger panel states and such to save, but still less than a second.) When they are spread to every 10 minutes, they are almost totally unnoticeable.

Edited by molleh

I enabled Autosave.  It was not on by default.  

2 hours ago, BillS511 said:

During critical phases of flight and I want a SAVE I just hit the ; key then the X key. Easy to remember my own saved (Autosave) flight.

I have to admit:  This is interesting, and I will try this.

Stan

19 minutes ago, spilok said:

I enabled Autosave.  It was not on by default.  

I have to admit:  This is interesting, and I will try this.

Stan

Stan, you know that the semi-colon is the long-time (since at least FS2004 days) "save scenario" key in our sim.

"x" is just the filename he's using for a quick save.

I do the same -- I save my scenario if I think I need to.  I don't use the FSUIPC autosave function.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

2 hours ago, Mikelab6 said:

Does auto save only available with the paid version ?

Mike

Yes.

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

autosave disabled does not change it in my sim.tested over and over and .......

12 hours ago, spilok said:

There are several threads on this forum relating.....

I checked, but default settings (FSUPIC was installed few days ago) looks like this:

CVpuTJFh.jpg

So You turned on auto save manually I think. Default = OFF.

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.
Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

12 hours ago, spilok said:

My fix was this:  I turned off "AutoSave" in my paid version of FSUIPC!. 

That, Stan, has been a well-known fix for ages if you read through here. Nothing utterly earth-shattering there, just surprised it took you so long to cotton onto it.

AutoSave in FSUIPC just calls SimConnect to save the flight, and is the same as activating 'Save Scenario' from the P3D menu or hot key. The time taken to save is mainly due to the aircraft being used, with complex add-on aircraft such as those by PMDG known to take several seconds or more, so autosave is not recommended for such aircraft.

• Upvote 1

Again, if your PC is taking several seconds to autosave, something is not configured correctly.