TalonMX

Is Orbx PNW worth the hassle?

I see Orbx has another sale going on. I own a lot of there stuff and was interested in picking up Pacific Northwest but hear it can be a pain to get working with T2G KSEA or DD Seattle Airports X / Seattle City. I read the numerous procedures and work-arounds on Orbx forums. Do these fixes really work or is the scenery worth the headache. I run FSGlobal Mesh 2018, and all the Orbx Global items installed. Is PNW better on performance than Southern California? 

IF you like to fly in the Pacific Northwest... PNW is a no-brainer IMHO..

Performance is definitely better than SoCAL, mainly because there is less urban/suburban sprawl and fewer big airports in close proximity.

• Like 2

I think it's worth having if you fly props/turboprops in the region.  It was my first Orbx full-fat region, and at the time OpenLC NA and FTX Global didn't exist.

For tubeliners, performance is better with OpenLC and FTXGlobal, and that's what I use (together with UTX for vector scenery) since when doing that kind of flying I don't spend a lot of time down low admiring the view.

SoCal is not representative of their other regions...that area is the proverbial ten pounds of doo-doo in a five pound bag...just too much going on, particularly in the LAX area.

Regards

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

IF you like to fly in the Pacific Northwest... PNW is a no-brainer IMHO..

Performance is definitely better than SoCAL, mainly because there is less urban/suburban sprawl and fewer big airports in close proximity.

I have PNW and I like it very much. But in my case with having all ORBX airports in this area, performance is not so good with 4.5 compared to 4.4. Waiting for the P3D 4.5 hotfix and avoiding this area for now.

Posted (edited)

I have the DD Seattle/Seattle Airports X with Orbx PNW and they work just fine and I didnt have to do anything special.

Edited by Buffy Foster
  • Upvote 1

I have the freeware orbx PNW installed and it works fine, I never really understood what the paid version offers vs. the freeware version.  Any thoughts on that?

Dan Moore, and all,

I have all the ORBX regions and their payware and free airports in PNW and don't know what issues you refer to, even while using P3D v4.5.

No problems here aside from some missing trees in 11S. It is well worth having and the best reason to use P3D.

Kind regards,

Spirit Flyer (Stephen)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SpiritFlyer said:

Dan Moore, and all,

I have all the ORBX regions and their payware and free airports in PNW and don't know what issues you refer to, even while using P3D v4.5.

No problems here aside from some missing trees in 11S. It is well worth having and the best reason to use P3D.

Kind regards,

Spirit Flyer (Stephen)

ORBX Southern California is a bit of a hard nut to chew though...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Much appreciated. 

Posted (edited)

Oldish but still Nice. Tryout FSDT CYVR or KSEA to SQUAMISH. 

Michael Moe 

Miss the old freeware airport in the trees at the lake north east of CYVR though. 

Edited by Michael Moe

I have the PNW with those airports you mentioned and I have/nor have had any issues, they integrate as if they were part of the package.

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jalbino59 said:

I have the freeware orbx PNW installed and it works fine, I never really understood what the paid version offers vs. the freeware version.  Any thoughts on that?

I assume you have the Demo Version of PNW?   I'm assuming that the full paid PNW version have a lot more territory to explore. Why else would ORBX offer a complete full demo for free...no?  

T2G KSEA works great with PNW for me.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, egguzman said:

I assume you have the Demo Version of PNW?   I'm assuming that the full paid PNW version have a lot more territory to explore. Why else would ORBX offer a complete full demo for free...no?  

ok thanks

3 hours ago, jalbino59 said:

Confirmed... the demo version only has the Olympic peninsula, west of Seattle... small area compared to PNW payware version.

1 minute ago, Bert Pieke said:

Confirmed... the demo version only has the Olympic peninsula, west of Seattle... small area compared to PNW payware version.

That makes sense, thanks.

3 hours ago, UAL4life said:

“Is Orbx PNW worth the hassle?” Yes it has seasons. 

+1 seasons is something the US TE will not have when they come that's why I in the UK have not purchased TE UK, and at the moment you have to disable ORBX England and wales to run TE this then leaves the rest of the UK running on OLC, I am happy with my US regions.

• Like 3

I would prefer seeing some new FTX regions and updates/enhancements of existing ones. True Earth is currently not for me: Too slow loading, too much performance issues, too much disk space, no seasons. But it looks like that ORBX has stopped developing FTX regions. The last we may get is a long time announced update of FTX Australia.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, rjfry said:

+1 seasons is something the US TE will not have when they come that's why I in the UK have not purchased TE UK, and at the moment you have to disable ORBX England and wales to run TE this then leaves the rest of the UK running on OLC, I am happy with my US regions.

Raymond, I didn't know that.

There is no excuse really as I can read as good as anyone else. Should have thought it through. I am at midpoint of a 24+ hour downloading of RE Southern Great Britain. I have RE Netherlands that seemed to work adequately, and looks fine, so I assumed it would be the same. To not be able to run TE GB and the rest of the Britain together makes me seriously regret going the True Earth route. Still some 12+ or - time to go in downloading the 42g before I find out the compromises I will have to make.

Thank you Ray for the information..

4 hours ago, Nemo said:

I would prefer seeing some new FTX regions and updates/enhancements of existing ones. True Earth is currently not for me: Too slow loading, too much performance issues, too much disk space, no seasons. But it looks like that ORBX has stopped developing FTX regions. The last we may get is a long time announced update of FTX Australia.

Harry, I agree,

Well all things eventually have to come to an end and they have moved outside my cockpit so to speak if they abandon the FTX world I spent thousands upon over a decade.

Would like to see an updated Australian and New Zealand FTX region, but we will see what we will see, or not... :smile:

Thank you Sir!

Kindest regards,

Spirit Flyer (Stephen)

PNW was the pinnacle of Orbx products. Everything since then has been some level of not as good. If I had to recommend only one product it would be PNW. I wish they would release it and their other PNW airports for XP11 instead of all of these other obscure products they have been putting out for the past year...

Posted (edited)

That is the problem I have TE Netherlands no problem it`s on top of OLC, the TE UK if like me you have EU England Wales and Scotland you are putting a full fat region on top of another, and at the moment they only have TE south UK fly north and you leave TE UK, and as I don't fly round in circles in one area but across the EU or US and have my P3D running on my PC time and date in the winter leaving Europe in winter and arrive in sunny Heathrow. as you can tell I'm not a GA flyer, don't get me wrong ORBX has the right to develop what ever they like and I will buy OLC when more is released.

I was hopping they would do some regions in the US east coast but by look of things that's not going to happen now.    

Edited by rjfry

Follow-up on my Orbx PNW install. Following the compatibility steps on the Orbx site I have PNW installed.  I did have a few issues with DD Seattle Airports KRNT with trees and buildings on the runway. I also use  T2G Seattle Airport as I alike the look of it over the DD version. I do notice some slight morphing in the area but it is not too bad. Any suggest on how to fine tune this or is this normal?

My next question is, we all know how KSEA Airport  (Default or T2G) has that slight pause when departing north as it loads downtown Seattle. I was wondering if installing DD Seattle City X fixes this problem or makes it worse. 

Again I run FSGlobal Mesh 2018, and all the Orbx Global items. 

On 5/3/2019 at 8:41 AM, rjfry said:

and at the moment you have to disable ORBX England and wales to run TE

Raymond,

You don't have to disable any of the ORBX regions, and I'm having no problems with England, Wales, and TE-GBS all activated. The only obvious disturbance is a change in the colour saturation between TE-GBS and the ORBX regions. In fact, if you have the regions installed, the FTX Control Panel for TE-GBS has options to disable England tidal photoreal and  Wales tidal photoreal, as indicated in the following quotation from page 6 of the user manual:

"The Control Panel will enable you to disable or enable the tidal photoreal areas installed with the England and Wales Regions. We recommend checking the selection boxes so as to disable the photoreal installed with Regions."

Dugald

• Upvote 1