AVSIM receives a lot of inquiries regarding browsers such as what is the best, which one has the best security, etc.  The late owner of AVSIM and I have always used Firefox but it has not always been the best.  The following are links to reviews of the best browsers for 2019:

https://www.toptenreviews.com/software/internet/best-internet-browser-software/

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-web-browser

Both have excellent and current reviews.  I also recently learned of some alternative browsers for online security that one might consider when browsing the Internet:

https://www.vpngeeks.com/alternative-browsers

I hope this helps some!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Talking about Firefox, which I have been using for years, it got a huge (the worst I remember) problem last night.
Various (probably all kind of) browser add-ons / plug-ins stopped working and they are not possible to install/activate.
I realised it quickly when routinely visiting a few websites I saw commercials jumping out on me from every corner. Which means my adblocker stopped working. 😀
The Firefox team announced they are working on a fix.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

There's a temp hotfix to get your add ons working again. It worked for me.  uBlock Origin working again.

FireFox Hotfix

Edited by TuFun
  • Like 1

IMNSHO Chrome is the only way to go. And, I've tried all of them. All mileage is, of course, variable............Doug

1 hour ago, Rafal said:

Talking about Firefox, which I have been using for years, it got a huge (the worst I remember) problem last night.

So, what you're saying, bad timing for posting this topic.  LOL!  I do not have any addons so the issue did not hit me.

Used Firefox back in the day, can't for the life of me remember how far back that was but at least a decade. Switched to Chrome and never looked back. 

4 hours ago, TuFun said:

There's a temp hotfix to get your add ons working again. It worked for me.  uBlock Origin working again.

FireFox Hotfix

Thank God! Firefox was a nightmare for me the last week.

Posted (edited)

An oficial fix has been issued now. 🙂
Just restart your browser or force the update (Help->About Firefox) if it doesn't do it automatically.

Edited by Rafal

Posted (edited)

Yep, fix is in.  Like the article says the best browser and I agree!

Edited by TuFun

I would not touch Firefox now with a barge-pole, after this weekend's charade where they without a single warning, disabled all Add-ons. I have used them for since version 30s.

I think they have sold out to advertisers to stop Add-ons blocking advertising junk. Only my opinion, but I will not be rturning to them again!

• Like 1

It was all caused by a digitial certificate expiring, so not really a bug in Firefox. Just a mistake.

Official version 66.0.4 is now out and everything works fine again.

23 hours ago, vc10man said:

I would not touch Firefox now with a barge-pole

I’m in the other camp. I detest the prompts by various software packages to get me to install Chrome. I’d rather have my eye poked out than use it. Firefox is not without its issues but I’ll stick with it.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I believe it depends on what You use the browser for.

In my experience, for business applications Chrome is the Clear winner on Script processing speed, Safari is as fast for Apple devices. Firefox is a close second. Edge is out of the question.

Firefox is the one I use for everyday browsing.

Edited by RamonB

Chrome is bad mojo.

On 5/5/2019 at 4:57 PM, lownslo said:

Brave... fast, small, simple, and safe.  https://brave.com/features/

Greg

This.

I cannot recommend Brave enough. It has the compatibility because being based on Chromium, but has the privacy and protections of Firefox plus more.

• Like 1

From way back in Mosaic days, then Netscape, then Firebird, then Firefox.  But got off the upgrade train at Quantum.  Now using Waterfox.

scott s.

10 hours ago, scott967 said:

Now using Waterfox.

Thanks for that H/U. Just getting it and installing now.

Agree with you, Ray, Chrome. Ditched that too, after the Firefox w/e debacle.

On 5/5/2019 at 6:07 PM, vc10man said:

I would not touch Firefox now with a barge-pole, after this weekend's charade where they without a single warning, disabled all Add-ons. I have used them for since version 30s.

I think they have sold out to advertisers to stop Add-ons blocking advertising junk. Only my opinion, but I will not be rturning to them again!

I did not even notice the add-on crash with Firefox.  I also did not hear about the Firefox issue.  How did you find out there was an issue with Firefox?  You must have done a search on the Internet when it happened.  What add-on(s) went down that really hurt your surfing over the weekend because of the snafu?  The one that allows you to view videos better?  The one that stops Facebook tracking?  The one that improves ad blocking and privacy protection (I suspect this one as you indicated Mozilla aka Firefox sold out to advertisers)?  Or, lastly the one that allows you to surf more securely?  There are no other add-ons that I can see.  Everything else is built into the default browser.  I recommend you read the link to the best browsers and about why Firefox was selected as Number 1.  I know Google Chrome, which owns all of the advertising for the Internet, collects a lot of private data and stores it permanently in one of their huge warehouses in California.  They want to know everything about you.  Every website has a switch to turn on the advertising and turn it off.  We only turned it on because all of the other Flight Sim websites had it turned on too.  This is stored in the browser cache as Mozilla does not have a huge warehouse in California.  If little things like this matter with a short loss of add-ons over the weekend, you're not going to like it when your new browser crashes and soon you are going to run out of browsers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jim Young said:

I did not even notice the add-on crash with Firefox.  I also did not hear about the Firefox issue

Nor I, not until now. Been using Firefox since it was just a cub. I'd rather fight than change. (Taryton cigarettes ad, many moons ago) :biggrin:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have used Firefox since it was a letterbox emptied and filled by the postman.

It has never gone wrong, is absolutely perfect and is better than anything else.

Notes:

For "Firefox", please substitute Chrome, Opera, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge or a browser of your choice.

Edited by Reader
  • Like 1

Thanks Jim, I have looked at your post and decided to try "Brave", I like it so far, it has a small footprint and web content seems to load much faster.  It seems more streamlined than Chrome and Firefox, I will keep trying it out.  Firefox is trying to ban youtube video downloads which is fine and dandy except for the fact that it makes it hard for me to share videos previously downloaded by meself there with me bella ex esposa and me bella daughter, and we use these sites to share our adventures since the three of us are split apart by distance and our schedules.

John

John,

That was the purpose of my OP.  I just wanted to provide the membership some reviews of browsers so members could decide appropriate.  A lot of changes has been made in many.  The last time we did this was back in 2013 when Chrome was considered the best.  My OP allowed you to find a new browser to try out and that great!

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Jim Young said:

I know Google Chrome, which owns all of the advertising for the Internet, collects a lot of private data and stores it permanently in one of their huge warehouses in California.  They want to know everything about you.  Every website has a switch to turn on the advertising and turn it off.  We only turned it on because all of the other Flight Sim websites had it turned on too.  This is stored in the browser cache as Mozilla does not have a huge warehouse in California.

That's not how Internet advertising works Your browser stores tracking cookies, nothing more. Every browser stores them, and they're set by the ad servers themselves, and other web sites that end up selling ads. Go look on Delta's web site for a flight to Hong Kong and all of a sudden you'll see plenty of Delta ads for Hong Kong - and as long as AVSIM is not serving its own ads, your ad trafficker is reading and writing tracking data, no matter what browser people use, so long as they aren't blocking ads or flushing cookies. Google, Facebook and Amazon get vast quantities of tracking data no matter what you use.

There is no magical switch that on every web site that turns on or off ads. You actually have to ad the functionality, although some third party software makes it easier than others.

Again, unless you are personally vetting all of the ads you run, you're giving third parties access to user tracking/behavior data, as well as allowing random third parties to execute code on AVSIM. To me, ads are a giant security risk unless you're doing your own house ads.

My .02 - Internet ads (unfortunately) have paid my salary for over a decade. 😞

Cheers!

Edited by Luke