Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

V4.5 : what has happened to Locked framerate ?

33 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

CorePrio seems to be for AMD processors only. Is that right? Or is there more than one website? https://bitsum.com/portfolio/coreprio/?

Pete

Respect indeed with your contribution, Pete, from one of the greats. I can only comment on my own discussions with the developer of CorePrio itself that the utility was recommended to me by him and he was cognisant that I had a rather dated Intel processor, not an AMD.

It is good that things are coming to light, particularly the "snakeoil" trick described above which the Prepar3D team may well advise against, but I can only speak from my own personal experience of the use of CorePrio that it appears to operate dynamically on the cores, rather than to set an affinity in concrete or indeed it is not intended to be used the same way that the "snakeoil" effect has been described. It is purely experimental on my part and I am happy with the results, but I am also more than acutely aware of violating how Prepar3D should most efficiently go about task handling and ensuring that nothing else is compromised in the process. 

But, yes you are correct it is mainly directed at AMD processors and it may just be fortuitous that for some, perhaps, older generation Intel processors (mine is an old i7 875K, I am not made of money) it may have something to offer.

Edited by LecLightning56

Sorry, I thought the topic was about FPS and 4.5 and core 0 getting max out. what difference does night make? when the topic is about core 0 and maxing out.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

2 hours ago, pracines said:

You must not fly at night much.😉

4.4 and 4.5 at night is quite a big difference.

Thanks for sharing appreciated and have seen it 😉 (as for the night well there is still a very long way to go), but my comment was related to a quote which says enough  😉

Edited by awf

André

1 hour ago, Pete Dowson said:

CorePrio seems to be for AMD processors only. Is that right? Or is there more than one website? https://bitsum.com/portfolio/coreprio/?

Pete

This is specifically for AMD processors, but the underlying issue (which is poorly understood) may well apply to Intel processors also.. Snake Oil.. Who knows..

Bert

I'm hoping when the dust is settled someone will post a "P3D 4.5 Tweaks for Dummies" article.

I'm still on 4.3.  thought I had left all this when I left FSX.

thanx for all the effort

Jeff

After page 2 I pretty much lost what the topic was about. For us simple folks, is there a problem or not? 

• Like 1

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

Sorry, I thought the topic was about FPS and 4.5 and core 0 getting max out. what difference does night make? when the topic is about core 0 and maxing out.

II thought this was about 4.5 as well with maybe some comparisons about 4.5 and 4.4 relating to the topic , but some just came on here to say they stuck with 4.4 and that's all they said. 

I simply pointed out how night flying is a big plus in 4.5, figuring they had no idea (just trying to help).

The issue in this topic is not a 4.5 showstopper, so no sense in bashing 4.5, or one must ask themselves how did they get to 4.4, why not stick with 4.0-4.3?🧐

2 minutes ago, pracines said:

but some just came on here to say they stuck with 4.4 and that's all they said. 

I simply pointed out how night flying is a big plus in 4.5, figuring they had no idea (just trying to help).

The issue in this topic is not a 4.5 showstopper, so no sense in bashing 4.5, or one must ask themselves how did they get to 4.4, why not stick with 4.0-4.3?🧐

Don't take things out of context I was replying at least on topic with a quote, reread carefully... (I understand that you addressed multiple users, however you quoted me;-))

You have gone of topic, it was about " V4.5 : what has happened to Locked frame rate ?"and the help in my case isn't needed, have done my homework floating around here since 2002 🤣

• Like 1

André

This topic is about problems with locked FPS and core 0 maxing out.

It looks like there is a problem. Pointing out 4.5 is nice at night is off topic my post was to report a test to see if the problem was there in 4.4.

Im staying with 4.4 until it’s all sorted and you point about why not stay with v4.0 is silly 4.4 came with PBR and no big problems that needed a hotfix, 4.5 comes with better loading of Orbx uk photo real and better looking night scenes. If you don’t run Orbx true earth or fly at night and given what this topic is really about the problems with core  0.

It might be wise to hold off before jumping to soon. Am not bashing 4.5 am being watchful with the problems, we have had one hotfix we have never had before and we might need another. 

So better to look before you leap.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

9 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

It might be wise to hold off before jumping to soon. Am not bashing 4.5 am being watchful with the problems, we have had one hotfix we have never had before and we might need another. 

We had two patch levels of the last version 3 (3.4.18.19475, and 3.4.22.19868, after the initial release 3.4.9.18400), so I can well imagine LM to publish another hotfix IF there is indeed an issue. I can imagine them to want a stable 4.5 for their commerical customers before juming into the 5.x cycle.

This would underline the importance to report issues directly to them.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

2 hours ago, LecLightning56 said:

I can only speak from my own personal experience of the use of CorePrio that it appears to operate dynamically on the cores

Yes, and from the description this is because the threadripper series of AMD processors apparently have facilities for assisting with this. that's why I couldn't imagine it working properly without.

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

This is specifically for AMD processors, but the underlying issue (which is poorly understood) may well apply to Intel processors also.. Snake Oil.. Who knows..

Well, i'll try it, but the description of how it works tells me it isn't going to do exactly what we might think it is doing on Intel.

I'll report back.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

15 minutes ago, pmb said:

I can imagine them to want a stable 4.5 for their commerical customers before juming into the 5.x cycle.

This would underline the importance to report issues directly to them.

Kind regards, Michael

Agree did they also say that the gap in time to v5 will be larger than before?

1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

Agree did they also say that the gap in time to v5 will be larger than before?

Yes.

Prepar3D v4 still has a lot of life left in it and it will likely be the longest active release we have done.

Quote from Adam Breed at LM in the November 2018 exclusive interview with FSElite.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Is suspect and hope we will find out more in a few weeks at the Orlando show, from LM as they are attending.

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

6 hours ago, GSalden said:

That is a “snakeoil” trick that confuses the Task Manager so it is not accurate anymore...

Have to disagree with that Gerard. Along with the drop in first core usage I see a drop in first core temperature as well, so definitly something real going on.

Are you still getting 100% first core usage with P3D paused?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.