Sign in to follow this  
188AHC

What we currently know about the new Flight Simulator

Here is what we currently know about Microsoft's new Flight Simulator.  Anything else unless vetted is merely here say.

This topic is strictly for listing what we know will be a part of the new sim.  No Discussions of what we want or need. Posts not conforming will be deleted.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

1 hour ago, 188AHC said:

Here is what we currently know about Microsoft's new Flight Simulator.  Anything else unless vetted is merely here say.

188AHC asked me to post the current list of what we know.

These are things confirmed either via interviews, the press release, or seen in the trailer BUT we of course do not know the full scope or functionality of some of these features.

- It covers the whole world

- It has flight planning

- They redid the Garmin GPS systems (you can see the G1000 and G530 in action in the trailer, full functionality unknown)

- The A320 at least has some moderate functionality for a default plane (you can see the MFD and FMC work)

- It uses real weather data (no information past that on the scope of a new weather engine)

- It has a new autogen system and the ability to fill in areas outside of 3D scanned areas (shown by the shot in the Bahamas, some of the rural areas)

- It has sloped runways

- It has AI traffic

- It uses ortho images extensively with autogen on top in non-3D scanned areas

- There's multiplayer

- It has 4K support and HDR

- It is using Bing 3D imaging for cities that are covered by that data (use the "Earth View" Windows 10 app for a preview of these areas)

- It has road traffic

- It has dynamic lighting, night lighting, PBR, and reflections (all of that is shown together by the A320 landing at LAX at dusk)

- There is some type of animated ground handling, with moving people (scope and how many locations it's at are unknown)

- The clouds and fog are volumetric on some level (shown by the low lying fog shots and some flying through clouds)

- There are cloud shadows and heat blur effects

- There are animals and birds (appear to be dynamic, regional, and outside of canned missions)

PLEASE ONLY ADD THINGS THAT ARE CONFIRMED

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 13
  • Upvote 1

Coming to PC first, Xbox later.

They will "figure it out" for Xbox, which would seem to imply it's meant to be a very well featured spiritual to successor to the full MSFS and not Flight.

Per Matt Booty, head of MS Game Studios, from here:  

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-06-10-the-big-xbox-interview-scarlett-cross-gen-halo-infinite-and-the-lack-of-fable

Edited by irrics

2 minutes ago, bonchie said:

It has ATC (how functional isn't known)

Where was it stated that it has ATC?
If you're referencing to the audio clip when the A320 is pushed back, that is ATC audio from a FSX mission.

Just now, patrickbc said:

Where was it stated that it has ATC?
If you're referencing to the audio clip when the A320 is pushed back, that is ATC audio from a FSX mission.

Thanks. I'm gonna remove that one.

• Like 1

Just now, bonchie said:

Thanks. I'm gonna remove that one.

Otherwise awesome list. Good idea to have all concrete info in one thread. I'll keep quite now, to not ruin the "info only" objective of the thread. Keep it up.

41 minutes ago, bonchie said:

- It has 4K support

You can add that it supports HDR  (high dynamic range monitors). This is mentioned next to 4K on the official Xbox announcement page.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Just now, Torg Smith said:

You can see cloud shadows in the intro video.

Adding.

Would it make sense to add a few authorized links like those?

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/microsoft-flight-simulator

https://fsi.microsoftstudios.com/insider-program-sign-up/

plus obviously

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 3

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

My expectation is that our games will be available on Steam. You can never say 'always ever', because then something will happen with rights in certain situations where something might not happen, but we have a really good relationship with the team over there

https://www.pcgamer.com/xboxs-phil-spencer-on-game-pass-steam-and-the-epic-games-store/ Phil Spence interview

• Like 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

This topic is strictly for what we know about FS2020. Please do not post speculation or discussion topics here.

As stated in the first post, these topics will be removed.

Thank you.

• Like 3

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

It has "blurr effect" and the POV varies with G forces ( we can see it in the virtual cockpit Seattle scene ) 

20 hours ago, Noooch said:

It has "blurr effect"

Probably video editing effect rather than in-game.  But it does seem to have 'heat-blur'

Edited by ErichB