Sign in to follow this  
MindYerBeak

pilatus porter (milviz)

I just found out milviz released their porter.I ran a search on here.Only a few posts about it.  I'm wondering how come just a few people mention it ? Is it bad ? I would be interested in the pc6 but to me when nobody talks about it it only means one thing.

All opinions welcome.

Thanks

Hey noname,

It’s a work of art. Amazing piece of kit, really. I can honestly only say positive things about it so far. If you’re familiar with Blackbox711’s twitch channel you can view some hand’s on with it. The guy is a real life A320 pilot and he ended his last 2 streams with the Porter. Fun stuff.

Jack Schaper

This is one of those that seems to slide into the cracks and people are still discovering how good it is...years later. I think this plane has one of the best FDE's ive

ever flown in. Definitely a buy. If you own PNG orbx.....The Porter goes hand in hand.....

Rick

I5 9600k@ 4.8ghz    rx580 limping-along   2x  23" 1080P Monitors

It's been out for P3D for some time but I think they are making an FSX version too (been so busy haven't kept up much lately).

It's got a lovely flight model and I would highly recommend it!  And the engine sounds....lovely too!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

IIRC, Milviz installs in the P3D default folder rather than use the addon xml method.

For me now, that would be a pass but that's MHO.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

1 minute ago, vgbaron said:

IIRC, Milviz installs in the P3D default folder rather than use the addon xml method.

For me now, that would be a pass but that's MHO.

Vic

Except for the Advanced series of military jets, I have successfully converted all my Milviz installs to addon xml with no problems or complex manipulations.

• Upvote 1

I didn't like it at all. In fact, the disappointment I felt after flying this has led to a long break from flight simming.

I'm serious. Yes. It looks good. It has good modeling of the engine and avionics. And once airborne it has a good flight model. What it doesn't do, at all, is model a taildragger's ground handling, takeoff characteristics nor landing characteristics. 

I hate it and wish I could get a refund.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

It's a great plane.  It's perfect for those short landing strips.

5 hours ago, RichieFly said:

In fact, the disappointment I felt after flying this has led to a long break from flight simming.

LOL! Was it that bad? 

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

5 hours ago, RichieFly said:

I didn't like it at all. In fact, the disappointment I felt after flying this has led to a long break from flight simming.

I'm serious. Yes. It looks good. It has good modeling of the engine and avionics. And once airborne it has a good flight model. What it doesn't do, at all, is model a taildragger's ground handling, takeoff characteristics nor landing characteristics. 

May I ask which aircraft you feel correctly replicates tailwheel ground handling? Just like everyone else has said I feel it's a great airplane. 

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

8 hours ago, RichieFly said:

I'm not as much of an expert on "taildragger ground handling" as you, so for me it's a superb addon, and I'll be flying it alot. As a matter of fact, a group of us just completed a flight recreating Air America adventures in Laos, and the short, unimproved fields in rough terrain were a great test for this aircraft.

This is the only aircraft I've ever owned and flown in P3D that adequately simulates free-turbine performance. The only aircraft better in this regard, IMHO, is the Majestic Q400, but it's a geared turbine.

I'm curious how many taildraggers of this size and power you've flown IRL to have acquired the experience leading to your observation about the MV PC-6?

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

8 hours ago, RichieFly said:

It looks good. 

Really? MV got the landing gear, one of the most important items on the PC-6, wrong.

Just look at real world videos where you see how important the exceptionally long stroke landing gear on the Porter is.

On the MV version it basically doesn't move at all.

I would have bought the PC-6 instantly since it's one of my all time favorites IRL, but getting the iconic landing gear that wrong is a no go.

Especially in flight it looks awful with its way too short legs.

The wrong incidence angle of the horizontal tail that would make the real PC-6 unflyable, can be (almost) ignored.

@somiller, what's a geared turbine? The PC-6 and the Dash8 both have PW free turbines compared to fixed turbines like the Garrett.

Edited by FDEdev

Now I'm confused. @Fdedev, did you report your findings to milviz ?

I really like the porter but  if the legs  are all wrong and does not " model a taildragger's ground handling, takeoff characteristics nor landing characteristics" I think I'll pass.

Thank you all for your input anyway.

Edited by MindYerBeak

1 minute ago, FDEdev said:

I've posted this bug more than a month ago in their avsim subforum but there was no reply. 

it might be better to post it in their own support forum in their website. They usually reply fast there.

PC- AMD Ryzen 7800X3D, 64gb 6400mhz RAM, Nvidia RTX4090