Sign in to follow this  
FizziPop

Microsoft Flight Simulator Preview - 30th September

1 hour ago, rtodepart said:

they lease servers amazon google MS not all are owned by them .by the way i did not google this . i actually  worked  building servers from scratch and also spent a few years dealing with leased setups for all the big players like MS .

No, Microsoft competes with AWS and Google and they all have massive data centers, with thousands of servers that they own.  Microsoft is not leasing servers from anyone.

All I can say is WOW....! Thank you Microsoft for answering my prayers....! 

5Take Care, Will Clark

My computer: Intel 14900K, Motherboard ROR Maximus Z790 Formula, PSU Dark Power 1600, Ram DDR5 (7200) Vengeance 32GB CL38, ASUS 4090, Keyboard Logitech ASUS, Mouse ROCCAT LEADR Wireless, Corsair M.2 SSD 4TB x2, Headset Astro A50 Wireless, Microphone Elgato Wave 3, Stream Deck Elgato XL, GoXLR, Loopdeck Live, Chair Steelcase Gesture with Headrest, Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG White, Custom Built water cooling, Ek Lian li xl distro plate, Fittings EK & Bitspower, Monitor LG C1 48 OLED, Desk Speakers Audio Engine A5+ White.

2 minutes ago, Hazardous said:

All I can say is WOW....! Thank you Microsoft for answering my prayers....! 

Too much information. Really? Now the guys pray to Microsoft? Seriously?? Next, we will have simmers burning incense at their PC's, their altar.. 

All hail, Microsoft....

Im sure these are the guys who previously called Microsoft the devil, who steals all information.. 

Maybe connecting to the scenery servers will open a backdoor to access information on your PC... 

Be prepared, very prepared.. 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Did anybody else notice the smoke from the tires (upon landing) "stuck" to the tires instead of remaining primarily at the point of touch down? Surely the smoke is not suddenly traveling as fast as the airplane. Maybe the smoke would be affected by the aerodynamics, but not pegged to the tires/gear/plane. 🧐🤓

2 hours ago, pracines said:

You make a good point and I agree with you, I would prefer the newer planes too.   

They may implement hat compatibility mode, but I doubt it will be much used. FS5 had a compatibility mode for (untextured) FS4 sceneries but it was very rarely ever used and developers (there were only few of them at the time) embraced the new scenery system immediately.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

2 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

For "online" mode pretty sure the developer said no "geometry" (i.e. triangles) for the globe ... he was also very specific about "seeing to the horizon" which would make sense in server render projection and also allow high performance with no popping.  Take a closer look at the more recent videos, do you see a LOD radius?

The world is draw using hierarchical tiling, the contents of which will depend on available resources (ie bandwidth, photogrammetry data etc).

I think you are misunderstanding the 'we are not creating the world' comment, to me it seems they mean the vast majority of objects and scenery are not hand built but procedural generated based on what data is available at that location and what the capabilities of the client machine are. There are LODs and available content is delivered as required and then processed locally.

• Upvote 1

Bernard

5 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Yes, one of the interviews with Phil Spencer and in one of the teaser videos (can't remember which one).

Cheers, Rob.

None of the teaser videos have had any dates slapped on them. We can only hope that MS somehow finished development earlier than expected cos i can’t wait that long 😩

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

really MS you put a Close app X hotspot next to a maximize/minimize hotspot ... what could possibly go wrong???

It's been that way for 30 years...I think most people are used to it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

On another forum it was being discussed that OpenStreetMap data is being used.

If that is true, that's brilliant.  That would give them accurate placement of buildings and height maps for a huge portion of the globe, that is continually updated to be accurate by contributors.

Yes, Bing maps has this too but the more data they can combine, the more accurate the planet.

ulBwrg6.png

Edited by Gulfstream

19 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

"online mode" subscription was still an "unknown" according to a Sergio Costa who discussed directly with the development team ... so there seems to be some contradictions in information after this latest round robin of PR.

P3D V5, XP12 ... there is still much up in the air between now and Nov 2020.

But again, who is Asobo?  All I can find is this: https://www.asobostudio.com/games  however I did find this job posting which I find very interesting: https://www.asobostudio.com/careers/ux-designer-186 ... I guess UI is now called UX just as remote servers are now called cloud.  Maybe I should apply because Windows has been one of the worst UX designs of recent decades ... really MS you put a Close app X hotspot next to a maximize/minimize hotspot ... what could possibly go wrong??? 😉

Cheers, Rob.

Two other streamers said they confirmed they do not want a subscription model. Everyone had different conversations with the developers throughout the event.

But is that really any different than paying $60 or $200 every two years for the new P3D? 

P3D V5 isn't going to be anything close to this, nor is XP12 if for no other reason than they lack to data infrastructure to do it. Bookmark it and hold me to it. 

I'd caveat that with the possibility that Lockheed Martin licensing this new engine, along with its Bing data sources, but I doubt that happens. 

Edited by bonchie
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Gulfstream said:

On another forum it was being discussed that OpenStreetMap data is being used.

If that is true, that's brilliant.  That would give them accurate placement of buildings and height maps for a huge portion of the globe, that is continually updated to be accurate by contributors.

Yes, Bing maps has this too but the more data they can combine, the more accurate the planet.

ulBwrg6.png

I see no evidence that's what they are using and they said at the event (according to a streamer) that Azure is reading the satellite images and aerial photos and producing buildings on the exact positions. That's what I'm seeing, not the inconsistent splatter of OSM you see in XP11. The buildings are exactly where they should be in MSFS. 

OSM data is also far too sparse in the US to be their data set given what we've seen. 

Edited by bonchie
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Jim Young said:

But, but, this topic is about the MSFS Preview released on 30 September.  Plus there is another topic just about this at this link 

That topic was made after my post so I obviously couldn't have known about it. Early part of this thread was a catch all for all the updates we were getting. Multiple videos, etc. 

14 hours ago, BIGSKY said:

How does your area look in Bing? I wonder if the Bing satellite images of the airport proper,will be used somehow?

It appears to be the same (very low) resolution as Google Maps. To put it in perspective, it would probably generate the same sort of scenery quality we got from stock MSFS products when we were restricted to tiny bitmaps (was it 256 x 256 pixels per square mile?).

Interestingly too, the Bing satellite view is about 18 months out of date minimum - possibly even more. The Google satellite however, despite being very low resolution has been updated several times in the last 12 months and is currently about 3 months out of date so far as I can tell.

3 minutes ago, JonP01 said:

It appears to be the same (very low) resolution as Google Maps. To put it in perspective, it would probably generate the same sort of scenery quality we got from stock MSFS products when we were restricted to tiny bitmaps (was it 256 x 256 pixels per square mile?).

Interestingly too, the Bing satellite view is about 18 months out of date minimum - possibly even more. The Google satellite however, despite being very low resolution has been updated several times in the last 12 months and is currently about 3 months out of date so far as I can tell.

They aren't gonna use low resolution stuff like that from what I can tell. There's a shot of Kenya for example where the satellite imagery is absolute garbage, but it looks great in the sim. 

I think for those areas, they'll have some kind of texture set to use or Azure will somehow clean up the images. 

Yes the bing data in my area is much older than Google’s, which has also been updated several times in the last few years. I can tell by which cars are parked outside the house 🙂