Sign in to follow this  
hatata

Retiring from P3D .. my thoughts

8 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

Must be rough to upgrade your PC once a year hahah!  Up until very recently I was using my 2500K from 2011!

Good luck to ya!

Still have my 2600K but the 7700K is still 4-5 years old year and currently used.

Btw, Ryan does 32Gb help in P3d currently using only 16Gb.

I deleted P3D in May and haven't looked back since.  I'm using x-plane now, and despite all of its limitations, it still looks and feels better than p3d, all with minimal investment in addons and such.  However, I'm getting bored with X-plane too, and both platforms are at an impasse development-wise.  FS2020 looks promising, and maybe I'll fly more once that's released or if LM or LR make some serious improvements to their sims.  Meanwhile, I'm flying less and spending more time being engaged in the real world.  Don't miss P3D for a second. 

Not in P3D no....I use XP11 though so it helps there with UHD mesh

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 hour ago, ryanbatcund said:

Must be rough to upgrade your PC once a year hahah!  Up until very recently I was using my 2500K from 2011!

Same here, i7 2600, 8 yrs old, running fine for VFR. What amazes me is 4 posts only in like a decade?? Forums are places where you ask and you get answers. So far, every question had an answer, just don't be shy. You might look foolish for asking, but in the end, you'll know more. 

Win 7 Home (SP1), i7 2600@3.4, RAM 16gb, gtx 1080 Ti, ssd disks, DELL U2715H

P3d ver 4.5.12.30293, TrackIr v5, T16000M + TWCS

Prepar3D is the best for getting add-ons reloaded in P3DV4 after a reinstall.  All you have to do now is save Documents/Prepar3D v4 Add-ons to a backup drive before resetting your PC or reinstalling a new MB/CPU, etc.  When you reinstall Prepar3D Client  (I always backup my full installation of Prepar3D), the Lorby-Si Addon Organizer will automatically install the add-ons into your P3D scenery.cfg.  This is for scenery only.  You will still have to reinstall ASP4 and any commercial aircraft like those for PMDG and activate many of those products again.  FSDT and FlightBeam may require another reinstall but, as I recall, I ran Live Update and FSDT did that for me.  The main thing with reinstalls is the registry entries developers put in their product installations.  I usually upgrade hardware once a year too so I have gone through this a few times.  Any reinstalls of P3D will NOT require you to uninstall/reinstall add-ons though.

• Upvote 2

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Buh-bye!

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

6 hours ago, Farlis said:

Is it really necessary to re-install windows after a mainboard upgrade? Or is it just recommended?

Absolutely.  Don't cut corners because Windows problems will crop up at some point that will require a reinstall anyway.  Trust the experiences of many who have gone before us, including myself. 

4 hours ago, SP2472 said:

You feel the same as me...but you did not get banned as I did here by a moderator named Dave at Aerosoft. I simply said it was not a good idea to "spend big" on $200+ add-ons since MS2020 is coming soon in 6-12 months. This was my opinion and not an attack.

You are 100% correct to think it is not a good idea to invest in expensive add-ons right now for what will very likely be an obsolete sim in the not very distant future.  It's insane that you got banned for actually saying it.  It seems some of these developers are in the early stages of a complete mental breakdown which is quite evident in some of their posts....  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

32 minutes ago, dal330200 said:

Absolutely.  Don't cut corners because Windows problems will crop up at some point that will require a reinstall anyway.  Trust the experiences of many who have gone before us, including myself. 

Been using windows for decades. I have never had to do a reinstall, ever. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

40 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Been using windows for decades. I have never had to do a reinstall, ever. 

So, your still on Windows 3.1 ?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I feel your pain with FSX/P3D. When I moved to X-Plane (still use P3D,but less and less) X-Plane just works with minimial tweaking. A breath of fresh air in my view (pun not indended).

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

2 hours ago, Jude Bradley said:

I feel your pain with FSX/P3D. When I moved to X-Plane (still use P3D,but less and less) X-Plane just works with minimial tweaking. A breath of fresh air in my view (pun not indended).

i also love how xp11 is all in 1 folder...you can move it to any drive and still launch it...amazing BUT p3dv4 is scattered all over your system👍

I just got bored after 10 years. DCS is stimulating and challenging without the need to blow a ton of money as you do on civilian sims (xplane excluded) , heck the sim and a jet included are free!

ZORAN

Watching the FS2020 previews have felt the same many times, tempted to push the uninstall button. Finally getting tired of keeping up with the dated graphics engine, single core limitation, and so on.