Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Orbx kills OpenLC Asia

Just now, Mace said:

Are you sure?  If I go into the MSFS subforum here at AVSIM, it is absolutely chock FULL of mainly XP users, and not as many mainly P3D users.   Is that subforum not a good representation / sample to rely on?

I  was referring to the OrbX customers base in the context of them shifting resources from the P3D/FSX OLC line of products to an XP11 Global Base. 

Knowing that their FSX/P3D market is much larger than their XP market (according to data given by JV in a not distant past) !

EDIT  Oops, sorry, you quoted another post  of mine. No I am not sure, just a hunch from a long history in this hobby. There are a lot of XP simmers in the FS20 forum you are right, but I won't draw any conclusion from that. The FS main market is FSX+P3D.  In any case I didn't want to be polemical in saying that . 

Edited by domkle
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

4 hours ago, domkle said:

May I kindly ask you to stay on topic. This is about the Orbx recent decision to kill OLC Asia. I am sorry, @Benjamin J but saying that Orbx products have been the bane of your flight simming experience does not make any sense to me. 

Lets avoid to push the thread south and degenerate into a flame war. Lots of people are really aggravated by the Orbx recent decision. It is enough for one thread 😁!

Not too sure what the issue is, but from what I can see, you are generalizing my statement and making it into something I didn’t say. I’m saying that out of all products I have, the OrbX Global series (and only the global series), while a significant enhancement to my simming experience, have also been the most prone to have issues. Understandable, given their global nature. No idea how this is off topic to the point you feel the need to call me out, nor do I see how this is sparking a flame war?

• Like 1

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

53 minutes ago, Benjamin J said:

the OrbX Global series (and only the global series), while a significant enhancement to my simming experience, have also been the most prone to have issues.

I just finished testing ORBX Central 4, and guess what? it still doesn't work properly. It will make a mess out of the order of your sceneries. I had to go back to FTX 3. Thankfully they still have it operating as normal. Otherwise, who know how long it would have taken me to figure out how to make v4 work as v3. It's an impressive new update, but too complex for most users.

• Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

In my opinion only, JV and ORBx have made some stinkers of business decisions in recent times. Anyone who dares question what they believe is the only way forward is given a hard time.  

The fact ORBx Central 4 is another bomb of a product is totally glossed over by the powers that be which is a shame for anyone stuck with it.

JV also clearly sold us a untruth about the status of OLC Asia.....fact.

I used to enjoy looking forward to ORBx releases however I haven’t bought a “new” release in the last few years.

I think they are finished personally and releasing panicked rubbish to the market as quickly as possible in fear of MS20 and seems to be a bit of a theme lately.  Just look at the latest PMDG release which seems to be a performance hog and totally rushed, one can’t help but drawing a parallel with ORBx.

I certainly don’t intend to abandon my significant investments in P3D (which works fine) anytime soon regardless.

Edited by barramundilure
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Regards

Barra

i7 7700K, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, GTX1070 OC 8GB, 1TB Samsung SSD for OS and P3D4.4, W10 64Bit, Corsair H115i Water Cooling

Business is challenging - disruption is always happening all the time.

Here is the brutal truth - only business owners know (they take risk and make something, and at times things do not go as planned - this happens all the time) and people who have never done any type of business risk (employees to some degree) - can never truly understand on what happens in the mind of business owner.  You have to worry about supplies, employees, cost/profits etc, so much more.  

Companies spend money on one project and later find out - it did not work.  Issues happen when you subcontract your projects and at times some contractors just do some abysmal work.  Orbx had their share of crappy subcontractors, I bet it annoyed the entire team.  Am I little disappointed with no Orbx LC Asia, sure I am but I have so much ground that I still fly to - All the way from NA to SA (massive), and then whole of Europe followed by complete V2 Australia+NZ.  On top of this we have all these regions etc.  These guys gave me a huge fascinating virtual world to explore.  I still haven't even explored openLC SA+EU properly lol.

We should happy on what we have and just maybe Orbx surprises us with some rendition for Asia LC.  Always grateful for them for enriching my hobby.

Edited by Skywolf
  • Upvote 3

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

If it's any consolation, they've just announced the imminent release of, wait for it, CityScene Charleston!

I'm so excited.  Yeah, this will tide me over just fine until openLC Africa is released.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

On 11/20/2019 at 8:54 PM, edpatino said:

Well, see other's opinions in this same thread.

To start showing you that full list, ask Aerofly FS 2 users, that were waiting for an initial announcement of dozens of new airports for that sim during 2018, and at the end only got 4 or 5 (?), then in 2019 ORBX mentioned in a vague language they were quitting support for Aerofly for not being profitable enough. To me, they take announcements in a very light way.

Cheers, Ed

Yes, and for this year (2019) John V. has announced some "little love" for Aerofly FS 2 as well, with the release of Sedona Airport. 

But the current year is coming to an end briskly, and this little love seems to have gone already, because there is still no Sedona Airport for AFS2 on the horizon  :blink: .

In the following you can see a leaked and very rare picture of the real CEO of ORBX, and John V. is listening to her unconditionally according to a reliable whistleblower:

6652992-gypsy-wahrsagerin-h%C3%A4lt-ihre

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DJJose said:

I just finished testing ORBX Central 4, and guess what? it still doesn't work properly. It will make a mess out of the order of your sceneries. I had to go back to FTX 3. Thankfully they still have it operating as normal. Otherwise, who know how long it would have taken me to figure out how to make v4 work as v3. It's an impressive new update, but too complex for most users.

check the box for advanced layering and relayer what you need with Lorby's addon organizer you might have to relayer some Vector entries

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Boeing or not going said:

check the box for advanced layering and relayer what you need with Lorby's addon organizer you might have to relayer some Vector entries

You shouldn’t need to do anything like that, utter bs from the developer....they should be ashamed releasing garbage like they have.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Regards

Barra

i7 7700K, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, GTX1070 OC 8GB, 1TB Samsung SSD for OS and P3D4.4, W10 64Bit, Corsair H115i Water Cooling

I do not have a huge number of ORBx scenery packages active (only ORBx Libs, TrueEarth GB South/Netherlands, and all of the original UK airfields/airports), but I have not experienced any problems with them in ORBx Central. What are the issues that some of you are experiencing?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Quote :

Third-party addon organizers (e.g P4AO)
Previous versions of Orbx Central conflicted heavily with the use of these types of tools, however 4.0.24 and onwards do work correctly with these tools. This requires that the ‘Legacy Layering’ checkbox in Orbx Central settings under Insertion Point is disabled.

_———-

But let’s go back on topic...

It is all about how much effort and time developers are willing to spent vs the profit they are expecting to make..

Edited by GSalden
  • Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Thanks, Gerald. I do not use any utilities for managing the Scenery Library, so that is probably why I have not encountered any problems.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

3 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I do not have a huge number of ORBx scenery packages active (only ORBx Libs, TrueEarth GB South/Netherlands, and all of the original UK airfields/airports), but I have not experienced any problems with them in ORBx Central. What are the issues that some of you are experiencing?

If you don't have Vector or OpenLC products, you won't have any issues. The problems with the new ORBX Central are mainly related to scenery layering of openLC and vector entries in your scenery.CFG that are messed up each time you do a sync or install a new ORBX product. At least that was the case with ORBX Central 4.0.1 until 4.0.23 (yes, 23 iterations!). Haven't tested with the latest versions, mainly because I said to myself it was enough!.

I created a correct scenery.CFG file and replaced the existing one in the sim each time ORBX Central intervened.

Cheers, Ed

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

28 minutes ago, edpatino said:

If you don't have Vector or OpenLC products, you won't have any issues. The problems with the new ORBX Central are mainly related to scenery layering of openLC and vector entries in your scenery.CFG that are messed up each time you do a sync or install a new ORBX product. At least that was the case with ORBX Central 4.0.1 until 4.0.23 (yes, 23 iterations!). Haven't tested with the latest versions, mainly because I said to myself it was enough!.

I created a correct scenery.CFG file and replaced the existing one in the sim each time ORBX Central intervened.

Cheers, Ed

Curious to know if 4.0.24/25 are doing any better ...

• Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

We're getting a little off-topic, but OC works fine, if a) advanced layering is active, and b) all add-on.xml are "active". I put the active in quotation marks because as far as I know, there is no official way to deactivate them. Therefore, OC works as it should. Now, using P4AO one can "deactivate" add-on.xmls, but P4AO uses a small hack to do so (it's documented in P4AO's manual), and OC doesn't recognize that unofficial hack. That might change in the future. Until then, activate all add-on.xml before running OC, and it won't mix up anything.

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else