Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

I Predict We'll Buy XBOXs to Run MSFS 2020

17 hours ago, David Mills said:

I predict that a majority of you reading this message will eventually purchase the new XBOX Series X when it is released pre-holiday 2020.

That's probably true for those who already own an Xbox or those who can't afford a true gaming PC. However, for most of the existing flight sim community, I think it's unlikely. Since its inception, Steam has shown that many millions of gamers still prefer to run their games on a PC. More to the point, many of the most popular games out there have no console version.

17 hours ago, David Mills said:

To me, the XBOX controller is ideally suited to run Flight Sim. Even now on my PC, I connect my current XBOX controller via a USB cable and highly prefer it to any other controller available.

I don't think that any serious flight sim enthusiast is going to use an Xbox controller when much more realistic, accurate and sensitive controllers are available. It's all down to what you want from the sim. As carbonbasedlifeform said in his post, it's unlikely that MS would support the myriad of controllers or hardware and software add-ons that many see as essential to the flight sim experience.

16 hours ago, rjfry said:

Yes they are going to dumb down the PC version

Highly unlikely. Historically, console versions of games which are also available for the PC have tended to be the dumbed-down version. Whilst the new Xbox will undoubtedly be much better than the existing version, it won't be at the cutting edge of CPU/GPU tech. Consoles have always been "good enough" but never cutting edge as far as technology goes - they're built down to a price point. Other than for straight ports of existing console games to the PC, graphics, in particular, have always been better on a PC than on a console where games have been available for both.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

21 hours ago, David Mills said:

I predict that a majority of you reading this message will eventually purchase the new XBOX Series X when it is released pre-holiday 2020. My understanding is that the new XBOX Series X will be comparable in graphics capability to the highest-end PC and graphics card currently available. MSFS 2020 is probably being specifically written for the Series X hardware. I can also imagine XBOX-Flight-Simulator bundles being sold together that picture the stunning images of MSFS 2020 on the outside of the box.

MS/ASOBO made it crystal clear from the very beginning that they are coding MSFS for the personal computer first.

Afterwards, they will begin refactoring the PC coding to work with the new X-
Box Scarlett.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

22 hours ago, David Mills said:

I predict that a majority of you reading this message will eventually purchase the new XBOX Series X when it is released pre-holiday 2020. .

I pray that you are correct! Because that would save the very idea of flight simulation hobby games. I doubt I am going to buy XBOX unless it recognizes my flight controllers, which seems unlikely. And FS must allow zillions of commands, like we can program into FSX right now

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I assume that by "We" you mean actual flight simmers and by that people who have been in the hobby for a while. These people (us) will obviously own PC systems for flight simming. While some with older machines may perhaps actually switch to Xbox eventually, the vast majority I'm sure will stay with their PC systems or build new ones. The Xbox version of MSFS comes later than the PC version so unless that's a surprisingly short wait you would have to wait a while or get it for PC first.

I also can't see how anyone who is even remotely serious about simulating flight in an aircraft will switch from yokes to controllers. I know there are people who fly using controllers and this is not an argument directed at the who sims the right way and who is doing it wrong debate, but I think it's safe to say yokes and throttles are the main way to go. The Xbox would have to support these.

Another argument in favor of PC are the technical advantages as described above (graphics, performance and the possibility to upgrade certain hardware parts individually).

I think your prediction is far from reality, personally. I'm fairly certain the Xbox version will mainly attract the average Joe as opposed to more serious aviation/simming enthusiasts.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

6 minutes ago, threegreen said:

The Xbox would have to support these.

There are some available already, and more will probably be supported in the future. Keyboards are also supported. Have a look at the number of steering wheels for F1 cars on the Xbox, as an example of what can be done.

• Like 1

I will more than likely buy one of the next gen consoles, but it will probably the 1.5/ pro version. I tend to buy a console because of specific exclusives I want (PS4 had loads more of these this gen compared to Xbox because I already have a pc), so I don’t know which it will be next time. Will be interesting to see how msfs runs on the series x in the future though. There is something beautifully simple about consoles if you don’t enjoy constantly tinkering with things or worrying that someone else is getting better performance than you are. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goates said:

There are some available already, and more will probably be supported in the future. Keyboards are also supported. Have a look at the number of steering wheels for F1 cars on the Xbox, as an example of what can be done.

I don't care one way or another who does or does not want an X-Box. I just do not have a dog in that fight. As I read these threads, it seems that what xbox users want is to some how have one of these things for I guess 500.00 or 600.00 dollars and that it should have a keyboard, be compatiable with switch panels, joy sticks, rudders and all the other whistles and bells. To me that sounds like a personal computer with far less power. I build my on systems and I don't know how much I have invested in my  set up but I would guess way over 2500.00. I just don't see how folks somehow believe this Xbox next is going to give a level of performance anywhere near the latest desktops. We don't even know if our high priced well oiled boat anchors will be able to run the new flight sim.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

I don't think you will build a sim PC based on AMD for the same price plus you are not going to get your hands on DDR6 memory for PC, it will likely cost double if not more.

Logitech and thrustmaster will likely be working hardware in time for the release you do not make money waiting for things to happen. 

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

8 minutes ago, rjfry said:

Logitech and thrustmaster will likely be working hardware in time for the release you do not make money waiting for things to happen. 

If Logitech is as quick with development as they have been since they acquired the Saitek product range that would not be before 2030.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

1 hour ago, rjfry said:

I don't think you will build a sim PC based on AMD for the same price plus you are not going to get your hands on DDR6 memory for PC, it will likely cost double if not more.

The new Xbox will use GDDR6 RAM, not DDR. GDDR6 is already being used in PCs on the latest video cards, and wouldn't be expected to be used as general system RAM in a PC.

Don't reckon many people would want to move over to a console for flight simming, unless they are super casual about it. Most simmers don't sit down in front of a single monitor with a controller to fly. People have multiple monitors or multiple windows running in the background with weather, flight plans, charts or external plugins going. They have all sorts of PC peripherals there's no chance a console will support natively, then all the software to tweak it. Then you have all the inevitable addons, file tweaks and whatnot to change or improve the things you don't like. Consoles are super restrictive. Any addons made would have to be released through an official sanctioned Microsoft store and be tested first, which would turn it into a DLC most likely, which I don't think many developers would like to be under that umbrella and their support requirements.

You'd basically be buying yourself into a restrictive headache. 

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

There are rumors of Xbox Series X coming with 16GB of DDR4 Ram. That would already be impressive for a game console. But the system is expected to use 3GB at all times for the OS, so 13GB effective.

MSFS 2020 looks like will use every GB of Ram you add, 32GB being almost the standard it seems. So I think it´s highly unlikely that we are going to prefer a game console as our main simulation rig, maybe it runs MSFS, but no way it will have the detailed world a Desktop can provide

• Like 1

Alexis Mefano

6 hours ago, n4gix said:

MS/ASOBO made it crystal clear from the very beginning that they are coding MSFS for the personal computer first.

Afterwards, they will begin refactoring the PC coding to work with the new X-
Box Scarlett.

Yeah, a PC with at least AMDs new equivelent to the RTX2080Ti, 32GB of Ram, a 16 core/32 Thread 4GHz CPU and a 2TB SSD

Everyone who doesnt own that already by release day is likely going to be buying an XBOX and Gamepass.

AutoATC Developer

2 minutes ago, mSparks said:

Yeah, a PC with at least AMDs new equivelent to the RTX2080Ti, 32GB of Ram, a 16 core/32 Thread 4GHz CPU and a 2TB SSD

You say this as if you actually know what you're talking about! It would be madness to design the sim for a spec of PC that only a couple of percent of your target audience would own. Speculate away, but lets be clear that that's all you're doing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

15 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

You say this as if you actually know what you're talking about! It would be madness to design the sim for a spec of PC that only a couple of percent of your target audience would own. Speculate away, but lets be clear that that's all you're doing.

thats the (rough) details leaked so far on the high end xbox2020

biggest ssd ever seen in consumer hardware. high end zen 2 variant cpu and amds as yet unreleased high end gpu with hardware raytracing. locked down windows 10 OS.

Couple of cheaper models for cheapskates that dont mind playing on low settings at 30fps.

might even be official now

This is why the OP is predicting you will buy one.

AutoATC Developer