Sign in to follow this  
BerndB

P3D V5 is worth to go for it

After i´ve read all the very bad threads from the first days i wasn´t sure but now i´am really happy that i upgraded from 4.5 to V5.

After some hours of installing P3D V5 and upgrading all the OrbX stuff i have, which took the the whole Friday, i made a whole day of flying in Europe today and V5 is an improvement in Terms of visuals and performace. I had the idea to list the the pros and cons but honestly there is only one fair contra for V5 actually and this is that not all addons are updated yet. Everything else is more or less better in V5 at least not worse than in 4.5.

The first visual improvement is the shading for the athmosphere. It looks great and really realistic.I´ve had a very very nice sunset where the sunrays where mirrored from the lakes like in reallife and very bright glossy. Just great!

There are much less stars at sunset that can be seen from ground and they getting more and more as darkening goes further. More realistic than in 4.5

The backwards compatibility is very good. I injected my Airports which are not upgraded for V5 yet via xmls and they appear as in 4.5. P3D V5 takes it and chews it without any word of complaint. 

The Performance is much better for me. Believe me or not, i had no stutters and a very very smooth experience. It seems that the use of DX12 takes much mor Advantage from RTX GPU and multicore CPU. Sometimes there are noticable loading pauses, but very rare. I was today in Heathrow, Copenhagen, Hamburg, Munich, and Frankfurt and all those sceneries had no stutters. Very nice. The SIM was running for 10 Hours without a Restart. Very stable.

There is only one Thing i do really miss a the Moment and this is ActiveSky. But not in the meaning of the athmospheric improvement, because this is great in V5 already, but the reallife weather is what i really miss, especially when crossing all over europe from north to south east to west. I hope they will update asap. All other stuff like UTlive, PF3 ATC, MCE and my sceneries are working as same as in 4.5.

For me V5 is a big step foward but have in mind: Do not exspect a SIM which brings you Right away all this what MS is promising with FS2020 in a couple of months. If you just exspect an improved P3D, you won´t get disappointed

Cheers 

Edited by BerndB
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 6

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

Meh, you failed to address all the CTDs and "hung" video card events lots of us, including me, have had.  These are serious bugs that LM will have to deal with, and some of them may get fixed in the promised "hotfix" coming hopefully next week.  But P3Dv5 in its present state is anything but wine and roses.

Lack of 3rd-party apps is on those devs, but these issues are LM's to fix.

Edited by Nobody2020
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 5

Good for you. Same type of experience for me up to now. Very stable. Some people have issues but for others, it’s butter smooth...

• Like 1

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

I echo your thoughts. I've had the dreaded invisible wall on final a couple times but other than that I've been very pleased. The performance is night and day and I've had a few great flights over the last few days. I had a nice long flight in the Turbine Duke today and descending into KBOI I was able to maintain 60FPS and it was silky smooth. This is an area in Orbx CRM I fly into regularly and I always hover around 45-50FPS. This was with higher settings for autogen buildings and autogen draw distance than I used in v4. For $60 I'm one happy camper. 

• Like 2

13600K @ 5.6 | Gigabyte Windforce 4090 | LG C2 42"

I having a pretty good time of it too. I would like some airplanes for it though and EZCA V3.1. But I do have scenery and airports addressed. Only 1 airport I don't have out of my collection with a V5 installer. EIDW. And of course real weather is a must have. I've done a complete reset of windows for this so I'm putting putting anything in that doesn't have a V5 installer. Hopefully after the HF next week they'll dropping like flies.🤣

I am disappointed that the SimObjects loading pause is still prevalent approaching an add on airport or dense city scenery.

I can repeat it constantly in the same places across v4.5 HF3 and v5 so the underlying issue has migrated to v5.

I have not had an invisible wall crash... and I have a GTX1080Ti so no VRAM issues... have had one CTD, with the faulting module being livingwater.dll (it is in the v5 root folder)... that was a new one for me and probably for Jim if he was still with us (RIP my friend).

• Like 1

I concur

Its an improvement for sure currently flying around a2a 182 cessna in australia with orbx v2 aus with around 60-70 frames 4k res with settings very high, i7 8700k with 1080 ti 32 gigs ram, looks vibrant and is butter smooth, so far no ctd and using 3.9 out of 9.2 vram

Edited by suchw

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

11 hours ago, Nobody2020 said:

Meh, you failed to address all the CTDs and "hung" video card events lots of us, including me, have had.  These are serious bugs that LM will have to deal with, and some of them may get fixed in the promised "hotfix" coming hopefully next week.  But P3Dv5 in its present state is anything but wine and roses.

Lack of 3rd-party apps is on those devs, but these issues are LM's to fix.

roger that, but you also know, that many had those CTD in V4 aswell and it´s not allways the SIM itself to blame on. It depends on so many various Parameters of the individual Setups on Hardware and Software. Myself was running from v4 up to 4.5 HF2 absolutely stable with never ever happen CTD´s unless i injected some AI aircrafts from FLAI into my UTlive. It turned out at least, that there was just one Aircraft that based on an old FS9 model and after get rid of it i had no CTD anymore.

The reasons for issues are so various. For instance the GTX 10xx GPU´s from nVidia where developed at a time when DX11 was in place and don´t have the Turing architecture. The newer RTX 20 xx was developed having DX12 in mind. Even this can make a difference when someone has a GTX 1070ti or 1080ti in use and want to use V5 with all Sliders at the far Right, or they have an I7 overclocked to what´s just possible without let it melt Right away etc. etc. 

I haven´t exspected from V5 that it Comes arround without any Bugs still in it. That´s why i still have 4.5 beside. But i´am positive surprised and for sure LM will takle out some Bugs which only turns out in various Setups they can´t test upfront.

P.S.: Will you seriously exspect from FS2020 that it won´t have any Bugs left from the release day on?? 

Edited by BerndB

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

I just did a Realair Legacy trip from KSFO-KSTS-KRDD with FTXNCA and it  was so smooth even at 25hz. 4K and VRAM about 3.7/4gb. 

This is a winner so far 

Michael Moe 

Edited by Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

17 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

I just did a Realair Legacy trip from KSFO-KSTS-KRDD with FTXNCA and it  was so smooth even at 25hz. 4K and VRAM about 3.7/4gb. 

This is a winner so far 

Michael Moe 

same i´ve noticed. Smoothness doesn´t depend on FPS only.

Bernd

28 minutes ago, BerndB said:

same i´ve noticed. Smoothness doesn´t depend on FPS only.

That's what everybody said when they moved from FS9 to FSX too. Which was an all time biggest fallacy. 

In 5 years, or even 3 years will there even be a P3D version whatever ?, except versions bought in earlier years of course.

Edited by jymp

If I wasn't ultra happy w/ 4.5 I'd jump on it, that and LM didn't want to extend the refund offer after I purchased 4.5 just a few weeks before v5 w/o knowing when V5 was to release.  Fortunately I'm very impressed w/ all of what 4.5 has to offer I can happily wait until MSFS arrives.  I'm hoping MSFS is what it appears and will be more than happy to say bye bye to LM.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

I've experimented with v5 and overall it appears to work...until you start to take a closer look.

Main initial drawback for me is that AIG can't work with it yet. "AIM for P3Dv5 will not be released before the fx_landing.fx has been fixed by LM. We have currently no timeframe for that."

And of course Active Sly.

So, I think we might be seeing several hotfixes.

C