Sign in to follow this  
Chapstick

V5 HF2 arriving early next week

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, gb09f said:

So true. As a MSFS Alpha tester, all I will say is save your cash for later this year... 

As a fan of Prepar3d who will also fly MSFS when it comes out, all i can say is:

1. You’re meant to be under an NDA.

2. This is a P3D forum. If you want to talk about how amazing MSFS is, there is a wonderful forum for doing just that.

Edited by OzWhitey
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Rob

Sim rig: Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5GHz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Code, MSI 2080 Ti, GSkill DDR4 32 GB, NZXT Kraken. 

Current sims: P3D v5, MSFS, X-plane 11, Aerofly FS2 and DCS. 

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, mtr75 said:

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Give me a break. So tired of this garbage on the P3D boards.  

My comment was inappropriate.and ill judged. I apologise. 

Serious question: Does V5 make better use of multi core processors or are people having better smoothness with hyper threading off?

Thanks. 

Edited by gb09f
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, gb09f said:

Serious question: Does V5 make better use of multi core processors or are people having better smoothness with hyper threading off?

Thanks. 

Biggest gain with P3Dv5 is DX12, but has also a downside (VRAM management ;-))

André

29 minutes ago, gb09f said:

Thanks. 

Have a look here: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/575988-good-framerates-major-stutters-pauses/ 

It's a very long one but worth to read. Hyperthreading comes later, I followed SteveW's advise on that - temperatures lowered and smoothest sim ever.

Good luck

Mick

PC: MSI X470 GAMING PRO (MS-7B79), AMD Ryzen 9 3900X / PBO, MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Duke OC 11 GB, DDR4-3200 G-Skill Ripjaws V 16GB x 2, Corsair HX 750 i, Windows 10 Pro on CT500MX SSD, Prepar3d v4 on CT1000P m.2 SSD.

WHAT IS THE REAL DIFFERENCE..... if I uninstall old Client, re-install new Client; uninstall old Content, re-install new Content; uninstall old Scenery, re-install new Scenery.....

FROM......a totally NEW re-installation of P3d?

I don't get the difference.  After all, I'm removing everything except my license information.  Right?  AND I'm getting to keep all my addons that I've painstakingly had to find and re-install.

Stan

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, spilok said:

WHAT IS THE REAL DIFFERENCE..... if I uninstall old Client, re-install new Client; uninstall old Content, re-install new Content; uninstall old Scenery, re-install new Scenery.....

FROM......a totally NEW re-installation of P3d?

I don't get the difference.  After all, I'm removing everything except my license information.  Right?  AND I'm getting to keep all my addons that I've painstakingly had to find and re-install.

Stan

I don't think there's a difference, and I note that others earlier in the thread seemed to be stressed about this process.

Here's my recommendation (though do whatever LM says on release):

1. Uninstall P3D v5. Do not delete any remaining files. If you are asked if you want to deactivate the program, say no.

2. Install the new P3D v5 HF2 program.

3. There is no step 3. You are already finished.

Seriously, this is really easy, there should be no need to overcomplicate things and it should take 15 minutes.

The small print:

a. If you have an addon that alters the core files - which is not meant to happen - you will need to reinstall that. I have a lot of addons, but very little that falls into that category. Maybe Active Sky needs simconnect AsConnect reinstalled? (I believe I've been prompted to do that in the past, corrected as per mrlip's post, yes it's ASConnect). But there should be very little need to do anything else. If something doesn't work, deal with it then.

Edited by OzWhitey
  • Like 2

Rob

Sim rig: Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5GHz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Code, MSI 2080 Ti, GSkill DDR4 32 GB, NZXT Kraken. 

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I did the same thing as oz mentions going from v5 to v5 hotfix 1. All was perfectly fine. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9700k | Maximus XI Hero| 32gb DDR4 3000 | 1080Ti 11GB | 1tb EVO Plus 970 and 500GB M2+3TB HDD | 43" Samsung X60R 4k and 2  22" monitors | Corsair RM1000x |  240MM AIO.| MFG Crosswind | T16000M Stick | Saitek Throttle Quad | Skalarki MCDU and FCU | Saitek Radio Panel

31 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

I don't think there's a difference, and I note that others earlier in the thread seemed to be stressed about this process.

Here's my recommendation (though do whatever LM says on release):

1. Uninstall P3D v5. Do not delete any remaining files. If you are asked if you want to deactivate the program, say no.

2. Install the new P3D v5 HF2 program.

3. There is no step 3. You are already finished.

Seriously, this is really easy, there should be no need to overcomplicate things and it should take 15 minutes.

The small print:

a. If you have an addon that alters the core files - which is not meant to happen - you will need to reinstall that. I have a lot of addons, but very little that falls into that category. Maybe Active Sky needs simconnect reinstalled? (I believe I've needed to do that in the past). But there should be very little need to do anything else. If something doesn't work, deal with it then.

Active sky has its own ASConnect and doesn’t use SimConnect anymore I don’t think. 

The only add ons that should need reinstalling are texture and shader ones like Envtex, Envshade, Orbx Global stuff etc (only if not installed via the library method)

Clear shaders cache and delete P3D.cfg and should be good to go

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, gb09f said:

Thanks. 

Yes. To V5 using more cores. While not as multithreaded as some production programs, it certainly will use extra cores...a lot more than 4.5 or the other sims.

HT is on an individual basis. I run an R5 3600 with SMT (hyper threading) on.....seems the Intel guys go back and forth for some it works others it doesn’t.

Edited by CaptainNick

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 5 3600, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 2070 Super, Samsung Odyssey +

10 hours ago, Micko said:

Have a look here: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/575988-good-framerates-major-stutters-pauses/ 

It's a very long one but worth to read. Hyperthreading comes later, I followed SteveW's advise on that - temperatures lowered and smoothest sim ever.

Good luck

Mick

Can you save us the time of reading through ten pages and tell us what his advice was, please? I haven’t messed with HT at all and I’d like to know. 

Thanks!

There is no singular piece of advice that will fix anyone's particular problem.

Too many variables.

You need to read the post, and do the work.

Those of us successfully using HT, with Steve's guidance, have.

Cheers,

Mark

30 minutes ago, newtie said:

There is no singular piece of advice that will fix anyone's particular problem.

Too many variables.

You need to read the post, and do the work.

Those of us successfully using HT, with Steve's guidance, have.

Cheers,

Mark

This. Especially the first 3 points, should be pinned to the top of the forum!!

22 hours ago, gb09f said:

So true. As a MSFS Alpha tester, all I will say is save your cash for later this year... 

That to me is the problem on Avsim now you can criticize any sim you like as long as it`s not one that not released yet you will get flamed, how times have changed on Avsim  FSW another MS linked product got slated as soon as it was announced before anyone had seen it that was OK.

• Like 3

i9 10900K\ASUS APEX MB \ MSI RTX 2080Ti GAMINGX TRIO \ M.2  Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB C Drive \ 2+1TB Samsung 850 EVO \ 2TB BarraCuba \ 32GB G.SKILL Z DDR4 3600MHZ \ Windows 10 Home\ ASUS 28" 4K monitor\ 4TB Portable Drive\P3DV5

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

7 hours ago, mtr75 said:

Can you save us the time of reading through ten pages and tell us what his advice was, please? I haven’t messed with HT at all and I’d like to know. 

Thanks!

I'm afraid I couldn't explain it the way Steve did. Just go through the pages and look for Steve's posts.

Mick

PC: MSI X470 GAMING PRO (MS-7B79), AMD Ryzen 9 3900X / PBO, MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Duke OC 11 GB, DDR4-3200 G-Skill Ripjaws V 16GB x 2, Corsair HX 750 i, Windows 10 Pro on CT500MX SSD, Prepar3d v4 on CT1000P m.2 SSD.

We're getting off topic, but my advice is to move away from the idea that you need to tweak everything. This isn't FSX, LM built their sim engine for modern, multithreaded hardware.

If you have hyperthreading, leave it on. Turning off hyperthreading only makes sense if you're pushing for an extreme overclock. A stable, moderate overclock is what you want here.

TL;DR  Keep it simple. The only "tweak" that reliably improves performance is new hardware!

Rob