Sign in to follow this  
lancealotg

Support the developers !!!

Just now, n4gix said:

This action had nothing to do with the viability and profitability of FSX. It had everything to go with a national economic depression. Hence the massive layoffs by MS (among many other Fortune 500 companies).

n4gix, you are approaching 16,000 posts. I have great respect for you and your time you give to this "hobby".

I would say you and I are both enthusiasts, I started with Sublogic many many years ago.

My post was not meant to divide. We are all hoping for a great sim and I am just trying to prepare the way for success.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, n4gix said:

This action had nothing to do with the viability and profitability of FSX. It had everything to go with a national economic depression. Hence the massive layoffs by MS (among many other Fortune 500 companies).

That and Microsoft management at the time was a bit of a mess when it came to anything outside their corporate products. See Steve Ballmer laughing at the iPhone and predicting it wouldn't go anywhere (jump a few years ahead, and Microsoft had to write off their mobile efforts). Or read about how Valve software tried to sell the concept behind Steam to Microsoft, who turned it down because they couldn't see how it would work.

Edited by goates
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, goates said:

That and the Microsoft management at the time was a bit of a mess when it came to anything outside their corporate products.

Well, that is certainly true as well; Ballmer was certainly no fan of ACES or their work on FS and TS. The true tragedy is that they were so close to creating a "world sim" that would have been the basis for both FS and TS. 😩

• Like 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

5 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

They will be able to gauge the actual buyer interest and ie plan their release server infrastructure based on pre-purchases. Just look to the game industry to find oh so many examples of failed launches due to too low server capacity. The devs arent always aware of how big of a hit something might turn out to be, and the economists running the resources arent known to plan too optimistically. 

Exactly, if you are an enthusiast then supporting the developers now is vital.

I know many of us have spent many times the price of the premium edition over the years, even one PMDG plane is close to that.

You cant just hope everything will work in the end without monetarily supporting them.

I suspect that the downloads will be hosted on MS's massive server "Cloud" just as the streaming scenery is kept.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

45 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Why would you buy something that comes with the sim?

It's unclear whether that comes with the sim or not, since it was described as a subscription. The developer is a "partner". But I'll take your word for it, since you potentially saved me some money.💸 

Edited by jabloomf1230

I use cockpits need sdk

without is useless to give an example or limited use

also if marketplace is the only place addons either freeware or payware can be obtained and sdk come with any restriction in my opinion it will kill the ecosystem and i will spend money somewhere else

i more than happy to support msfs 2020 project if it is fair for all those who develop addons and for the sites that worked very hard to keep files libraries open for decades

• Like 1

Does you know if the SDK will be provided with some version ? ... Premium, I suppose like FSX Deluxe in the past.

Thank you for your answer if someone has the information..

Best regards, Didier "Lagaffe"

Boitier HAF 932 / ASUS Z390 STRIX-F Gaming / i9 9900K / Cruxial Ballistic 32 Go à 3200 Ghz / Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti / 34" Samsung FreeSync 21:9
SSD: Samsung 1To + 2 Cruxial 256 Go / Stockage : WD 4To et WD 2 To / Hotas Warthog and Throttle Cougar

2 minutes ago, arsenal82 said:

also if marketplace is the only place addons either freeware or payware can be obtained and sdk come with any restriction in my opinion it will kill the ecosystem and i will spend money somewhere else

Developers can sell addons wherever they want. Doesn't have to be in the market place.

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

Sorry but this is bordering on moronic. This title is going to rise or fall on it's own merits. No amount of pre-orders will make or break the launch. If the developers deliver an experience worthy of me parting with $120.00, I'll gladly do so. This whole pre-order mentality is very strange. If you want to, then please do! But don't come in here dramatically proclaiming that if we don't rush to support the developers by throwing money at a product that is still unproven, it will "FAIL" ...your words, not mine.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Chris

The thing hasn't even been released and there are FUD discussions already?!  🙄

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

Actually, I prefer supporting freeware developers. These guys are the backbone of our hobby & develop for the love of simming. 

Hopefully, as happens, some of them actually develop a paying business from add-ons.

Freeware matters!

• Like 2

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Agree with OP.

FS is a hobby me, so I try to support the best FS projects out there (wallet limitations applied), If we cool down a little (community) and look what we have in MSFS (scenery, weather depiction / data, aircraft quality (default), Flight Model, live traffic, multiplayer), well.. I would have preorder premium long months ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snglecoil said:

This title is going to rise or fall on it's own merits.

Own your own business? You talk like you do but I doubt it.

With your attitude, I hope your not going to complain about all the bugs and issues with the sim when it first comes out. 

I want this sim to shine and I will be supporting the developers. 

Its up to you if you want to ride on the backs of people who are supporting them.