Sign in to follow this  
Airboeing

Today I have commited to X-Plane (again)

So after trying out the MSFS alpha and now testing the beta, I finally decided to stay committed to X-Plane and spent about $200 for addons which were on my list of things to put on hold until I made up my mind regarding a switch to MSFS.

Surely, vanilla MSFS looks much better than vanilla X-Plane. But judging by what I have now (X-Plane with Orthos and addons) MSFS doesn't look so much better to justify the switch or even hassle to use it as a side-sim.

It's not that I'm afraid to start from zero... I switched from FSX/P3D to X-Plane 10 some years ago, despite having spent around $2000 on addons which I haven't touched since then. But it was an easy decision, since X-Plane 10 (yes, 10) was so much more appealing to me compared to FSX/P3D, even with addons.

Does that mean that I'll never switch to MSFS? Not necessarily, but I think that's a decision I'll make when MSFS has matured and X-Plane 12 is there, so we'll have a different base to compare both sims anyway.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

interesting,  besides the vanilla which you classify as not far aeay one to esch other, is there anything else that contributes to your current decition such as dynamics, the library of planes you already have in XP, etc?

I have all of the sims installed, P3D v5, X-Plane 11, AF2 and MFS. All are good at certain things, e.g. AF2 in unbeatable for VR for now (and seems to have found a niche in helicopters), P3D has some of the best aircraft, X-Plane is fantastic for developers who like to tweak, create addons, their own orthos etc, and MFS... well still under NDA 😛

I see no reason to uninstall any sim.... I've never bought a huge amount of addons either, (I'll purchase the odd plane/heli for XP).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Nobody is urging us to uninstall our sims. Why do we have to do that?. Even if MFS succeeds, why not having two or more sims to enjoy?. Every sim has its own advantages.

Cheers, Ed

• Like 4

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Same here, but with P3D v5.

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

Apart from the fact that it takes about half a day to install FS2020. the X-Plane 11 GUI is much friendlier.

• Like 1

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I'll also keep them all. The only downside is that maintaining four sims is a bit of work. at least for Prepar3D and X-Plane it means some manual effort. But that's worth it.

• Like 1

Hans

Well, I am probably going to keep using my "trio" going forward (XP, P3D and MSFS). Since getting Air Hauler 2 for X-plane I am really enjoying life in XP and v11.50 seems to be coming along nicely. Thinking about getting XPRealistic v2 to see if this can increase the "cozyness"-factor of the sim.. 😄

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

As far as having two (or more) sims installed. I tried that with P3D and X-Plane but that soon became too much of a hassle for me.

I already spend less time than I would like to for flight simming, and we all know that this hobby doesn't only consist of flying but also maintaining the sim and addons, keeping track of updates and new releases etc. This already takes more than enought time for one sim, I wouldn't want to add another one to this equation.

Edited by Airboeing

Why do topic titles like this sound like a commitment to marriage has been made? It's a game!

• Like 5

David Porrett

26 minutes ago, DavidP said:

Why do topic titles like this sound like a commitment to marriage has been made? It's a game!

The commitment to a flight sim by far surpasses a marriage. It lasts longer than an average marriage, it costs more than an average marriage and it is more fun than an average marriage.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Airboeing,

With all due respect mate, I am very happy to not be your spouse, and if you dedicate more time and committment to flight simming in real life, I believe your priorities are misaligned,

However, each to his own.

Regards

Tony

• Like 3

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

3 hours ago, Swe_Richard said:

Thinking about getting XPRealistic v2 to see if this can increase the "cozyness"-factor of the sim.. 😄

Do it. I have it and it's really good!

Russ

• Like 1

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

I hope everyone here ducked as that joke when right over Tony's head, then took a sharp left, to head down the sense of humour bypass. 🤣

Two men were talking about their wives

The first man says “My wife is an angel.” The second man says “You’re lucky, mine’s still alive.”

Edited by Chock
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here