Sign in to follow this  
Lotharen

New Pilot Resources - Welcome Aboard!

12 hours ago, Malaromane said:

P Gatcomb has posted a series of tutorial videos on YouTube on how to use the different autopilot suites (G1000, G3000, etc). I found them incredibly educational:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGWd_NMbp7GxMg4bZO65heQ

Yep I've been watching all of them.  These are a lot more in depth than the cheap default GPS that was in FSX so having some tutorials is definitely helpful.  You'll notice he has two G1000 tutorials.  The first one is a basic "all the features" type one.  The second focuses more on autopilot related things with it.  

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

Squirrel has a fairly nice set of tutorials here that some might like. The first few tutorials go over setting up MFS, peripherals and using the cameras with learning to fly part really starting at episode 4. The pace is quite gradual which I think newcomers would appreciate.

Edited by SamYeager
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Give people power to really test their personality.

On 8/25/2020 at 7:02 AM, SamYeager said:

Squirrel has a fairly nice set of tutorials here that some might like. The first few tutorials go over setting up MFS, peripherals and using the cameras with learning to fly part really starting at episode 4. The pace is quite gradual which I think newcomers would appreciate.

Just to circle back and provide another endorsement for Squirrel, he just posted an excellent tutorial on how to set up and execute an ILS approach on the TBM 930. I learned a tonne from this video.

• Like 3

On 8/16/2020 at 4:13 PM, RamonB said:

This one is a classic Flight Simulator Navigation.
By Charles Wood

Cheers

I was going to post that and then saw you beat me to it. 🙂

This is the site that really got me into simming and into actual flying. Here is where I learned about all kinds of Navigation. VOR, ADF, ILS, Airways, etc.

The first lesson I learned was the danger of Homing using ADF. I am like why? I can always reach the airport if I dial in the NDB frequency and I then just point the needle to the North. I am home.. Always...I thought...Until this. 

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/ndb-nav-adf-2.htm

Fun Fun fun! Here I am now, 20 years later, still on it. 🙂

Manny

Edited by Manny
  • Like 3

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I also found Pilot Emilie pretty handy videos not too long and she has a lot of good energy that kept me engaged.

Here is her G1000 video: 

• Like 2

On 8/16/2020 at 5:13 PM, Virtual-Chris said:

As a new flight sim enthusiast, this is a great idea. And I already discovered Doofer911’s content and it’s great. 

Have any other YouTubers got content on proper use of autopilot, reading plates, ATC and ILS approach best practices, etc?

I do.  I have tutorials with various approach types, holds, how to read approach plates, systems, and lots of other stuff.  I am a pro-pilot with 7,000+ hours of experience. Here is a link to my video page on YouTube.  It would not let me post that link so here is a link to my channel into and you can get to the video page from there ... 

On 8/20/2020 at 8:26 AM, Kodiak_Jack said:

Really appreciate people posting resources for newbies like me! I typically learn best when I have a bit of structure - is there any advice people could offer about how to approach learning for FS2020? I had it my head I would dedicate some time to reading/watching, and the rest of the time just having fun flying and practicing what I’ve been learning about. Is that reasonable? 

Jack 

I have a lot of videos that might help you out as well.  I am professional pilot and I've been playing Flight Sim almost as long as I have been flying in real life.  I have videos from explaining components and gauges on the 152, to doing the same thing in the TBM 930.  I use actual flight manuals to make those types of videos.  There are several types of tutorials on instrument flying, holding patters, ILS approaches, and stuff as simple as flying a basic traffic pattern.  Here is a link to my channel intro.  From there you can get to my video page.  I am here to answer questions if you have any.  The whole point of my channel is to merge real life with Flight Sim and help people get the most of out of.  

• Like 1

Thank you for all the info on MFS 2020. I would love to upgrade from FSX, however, due to finanacial hardships of Covid-19, money is extremely tight for my family right now and $100 is a big deal. I'm in the U.S. and have been looking for the best purchase option and place to buy MFS 2020. It seems that some outlets (ie: amazon) the downloads are not working, and/or not providing support. It's been a few years since I've bought anything for my old FSX set up. I just wanted to get the communities opinion on a safe and effective place to purchase and download MFS 2020?  If I can scrape the money together to buy a copy, I sure don't want any issues with downloads not working and such. Thank you very much in advance!

• Like 1

Home Flight Simulation - Getting closer to the real thing everyday!

Edit

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

On 8/25/2020 at 7:02 AM, SamYeager said:

I am waiting for a new PC to be delivered and then I will get MS 2020. I have been watching Squirrels videos non-stop for a couple of days, on Youtube. I have learned alot, and that should substantially  cut down on the time to adapt to MS 2020. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310