Sign in to follow this  
Avgeek09

Should i keep X-Plane 11

Why not to just keep both if you have space? 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

Xplane is still good, they just need to improve a few things. The sad thing is it shows the level of complacency that exists in ALL sims. Every sim has different areas of complacency, things that should work better that just don't.

For Xplane, it is the cloud system and environmental lighting, the water, and to a lesser extent the trees. These are the main things that make it look so LAST GEN, that is if you take the time to use high quality ortho. The HD space used to be an issue for Ortho, but now you can get 8 TB hard drives relatively cheap, though some PC's are more trouble than others to add extra hard drives.

Some of the default airports in Xplane look a lot better than some of the default airports in MSFS (not all, but some), as far as the buildings go and the likeness of the airport. However, the lighting ruins the effect a lot, Xplane has poor lighting. The problem is Xplane took an average hazy sky that often exists when you are flying in a real plane, and they applied this effect to EVERY elevation and angle. I even have mods to reduce the haze and it still doesn't really work that well, it works in the air, but buildings on the ground still have that old look to them, and overall the environmental lighting is atrocious.

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

I never liked X Plane, and flew P3D for many years. After MSFS, I couldn't fly P3D anymore. It lacked too much. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Still fly X Plane because of the aircraft in the hanger and flying in the True Earth areas with Aerosoft  Shade X is a lot better than the default. Lighting, trees and vfr flying gets me into MSFS. Keep them both is my vote. 

• Like 1

Was using XP11 for 4 yrs until august ‘20. Since then I’ve used XP once, perhaps twice.

XP can look gorgeous with payware scenery and downloaded orthoscenery. But that requires a lot of time downloading many many gigabytes, and time spent configuring the scenery.ini.

I go with MSFS for the gorgeous atmospheric effects and the fact that the whole world is covered in decent scenery. In other words, immersion over realism.

When I reinstalled Windows a few months ago X-Plane went down the drain as I formatted the drive it was on. I haven’t considered installing it again. I sometimes miss the excellent Zibo mod 737, but I think the FWB A320 has gotten so good that I rarely think about XP much nowadays. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

7 hours ago, Avgeek09 said:

i bought microsoft flight simulator a week ago and i'm not sure whether to keep x plane or not

I would sell both sims AND the computer, and go find a wife for yourself...OR, you could simply jump off a bridge 🤪

Nah seriously...keep both sims! If hard drive space is an issue just upgrade at some point to a larger hard drive which has more space on it. Invest in an SSD drive.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hangar said:

I would sell both sims AND the computer, and go find a wife for yourself...OR, you could simply jump off a bridge 🤪

😬😆

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

I always keep XP11 going because of the aircraft  such as my Aero Commanders and the Zibo 737.

It's a very stable simulator and hurts nothing having on my hard drive.

Even though I was an MSFS alpa and beta tester I haven't purchased it yet due to slow internet and busy with other things.

Next month I'll have access to 1 gig fiber optic and then I'll jump in MSFS too.

• Like 1

It is totally up to you. If I had enough SSD space and  unlimited super fast bandwidth I would keep every sim in the world 🙂

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

3 hours ago, Adamski_NZ said:

Well .. I've never had any real problems with X-Plane. I took a month or two off while I wrestled with MSFS and found it was a real pleasure to get back into it. Fast ... no stutters ... great payware aircraft ...  and plenty of amazing freeware stuff.

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/207488-welcome-in-the-hillsides/

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/207323-normal-service-is-resumed-back-to-xp11/

I'm definitely keeping mine!!! BTW - prior to installing MSFS, I had to clear one sim when I ran out of HD space ... it was P3D that got the boot ... and I don't miss it.

Adam.

Beautiful pics Adam.

It's amazing how a what seems like a simple question can get such complex answers and even turned into another MSFS vs XP11 thread. 😀

• Like 2

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

One thing I do miss is the Reality Expansion Packs

I got the one for the Cessna 172SP.. It literally turned this basic default aircraft into an insanely full blown study level aircraft

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Man, just trying to imagine how long a "should i keep MSFS" thread would last in the XP forum before getting locked. The overly sensitive "unofficial" forum gods over there would be in an uproar.

I keep XP because of the Helos, that's it. Once MSFS has more support for the Helo flight model and more addons become available, XP will be gone from my machine.

25 minutes ago, styckx said:

One thing I do miss is the Reality Expansion Packs

I got the one for the Cessna 172SP.. It literally turned this basic default aircraft into an insanely full blown study level aircraft

A study level 172.....  That's different..  😉

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

22 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

A study level 172.....  That's different..  😉

There's only one study level 172 for X-Plane 11 and that's the AirfoilLabs c172SP. It's better than the A2A version.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.