Sign in to follow this  
bean_sprout

One Sim To Rule Them All

1 hour ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Well to be honest the sim I had the MOST fun in over the years was flying an Emil online in virtual wars for the Reich in the original IL2 Sturmovich

Have you tried flying the simulator mode in "Enduring Confrontation" in WarThunder? Awesome experience (especially in VR) and if you enjoyed WW2 dogfighting in IL2 it may be right up your alley (free-to-play, too!).

First sim where I'm flying 99.999% of the time rather than tweaking or creating Ortho4xp tiles. Thanks MS & Asobo! 

• Like 7

P3D and Xplane as viable alternatives to MSFS 2020 are dead or dying. The relatives have gathered around the hospital bed and are singing "nearer my Lord to thee". The priest is on his way. Last rites are being prepared.

As I've said before, the arrival of MSFS 2020 reminds me of the time when young Mike Tyson entered the boxing world. By the time his opponents figured out what was going on, and why they were on their backs staring at the ceiling, Mike was already changing into his civvies.

For an illustration of the current state of flight simming, watch the fight between Mike Tyson and Frank Bruno. The sheer look of confusion and disorientation as he gets pummeled by Mike is a sight to behold.

Obviously, P3D and Xplane will still have a lifen as niche simulators, just as there are people who still use flip phones.

Edited by Ricardo41
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

Xplane as viable alternatives to MSFS 2020 are dead or dying.

Statistics show a very different picture... (even if you take out the huge hump of curious gamers that never played MSFS again after trying it once in August/September 2020). There is a steady decline in usage numbers for MSFS...from weekdays 10.000+ to a mere 5000 these days. But yeah, I am sure the next update will be the nail in X-Plane´s coffin. Or PMDG´s DC-6, whatever comes first. 😉

https://steamcharts.com/cmp/1250410,269950#1y

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Janov said:

Statistics show a very different picture... (even if you take out the huge hump of curious gamers that never played MSFS again after trying it once in August/September 2020). There is a steady decline in usage numbers for MSFS...from weekdays 10.000+ to a mere 5000 these days. But yeah, I am sure the next update will be the nail in X-Plane´s coffin. Or PMDG´s DC-6, whatever comes first. 😉

I don't really get what your doing here? you seem to have no interest in MSFS other than stirring (WOrd not allowed ) please go back and play your outdated sim, and enjoy it.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

13 minutes ago, Janov said:

these numbers say not much  , it is to be expected form the steamcrowd, every game tapers down after some time, and the very casuals have probably ran away because of the issues.

also these numbers do not show the buyers from ms store.

instead i see a more than a 100.000 downloads of that freeware heli..

soo..interpreting numbers just form one source, good luck with that, the result will be not very trustworthy.

only say 2 to 3 years on will tell how it is really is going.

• Like 4

😂

Edited by Juliett Alfa

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

Just now, Janov said:

137.000 for this one:

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/39269-bell-429/

But yeah, lets see in 2 to 3 years. 👍

thats comparing apples and bananas, this sim is only very young, xp is very old, and , unless Austin has some real magic trumps

up his sleeve( and i doubt that), i think xp is in its death phase as is p3d. ( a pity tho).

no other flightsim, none at all, has such success in its early stages, despite the quite a few issues.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

As I've said before, the arrival of MSFS 2020 reminds me of the time when young Mike Tyson entered the boxing world. By the time his opponents figured out what was going on, and why they were on their backs staring at the ceiling, Mike was already changing into his civvies.

😀

Priceless.

• Like 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

18 minutes ago, DJJose said:

😀

Priceless.

Yep, that was well written! 🙂

2 hours ago, wim123 said:

thats comparing apples and bananas, this sim is only very young, xp is very old

You are right - it was a bit of a slanted comparison since the Bell429 has been available a lot longer...but then again there is only one or two (afaik?) helicopters available for MSFS but dozens for XP.

Again - I don´t doubt that MSFS will have more users than XP at any given time in the future (barring something drastic happening), but I am not ready to write X-Planes eulogy quite yet.

Edited by Janov

I simply don’t understand the scarcity mentality that exists in the minds people. Why does the success of one platform automatically mean the death of all others? How does the saying go? ...”a rising tide lifts all boats” ... or something to that effect. 

• Like 4

Chris

11 hours ago, The Moose said:

It all started in '83 for me with this

speccyflight.jpg

Been through almost every civilian flight sim since then except P3D (just an FSX pig with lipstick on as far as i was concerned)🙂

That was also my first flight simulator! Two runways, two lakes, and a cardboard cut out mountain background :cool:

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 3

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Not so long ago one of Jans primary weapons to denigrate MSFS was that were no helicopters. Of course now that there are helicopters it's that there are only a few of them and that they are rubbish compared to XP.😂

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

Not so long ago one of Jans primary weapons to denigrate MSFS was that were no helicopters. Of course now that there are helicopters it's that there are only a few of them and that they are rubbish compared to XP.😂

Blimey.  The Bell 47G is as good or better than any Heli i flew in X-Plane.  The flight model is outstanding!  If that's a sign of where helicopters are headed in MSFS i for one am going to be a very happy chappy

• Like 3