Sign in to follow this  
bean_sprout

One Sim To Rule Them All

1 hour ago, bean_sprout said:

(except for "Chuck Yeagers Air Combat")

Ah...I somehow missed Air Combat, but Chuck Yeager's Advanced Flight Trainer a few years earlier was one of my favorites!

Edited by snglecoil
  • Like 1

Chris

46 minutes ago, VFXSimmer said:

Agreed.

Hard to believe it’s come here from the white lines on a green and blue flat plane that represented Meigs Field on my Commodore 64.

The graphics have improved a bit since then, haven't they?  Hehehe...

• Like 1

Also, I saw contrails today.  Not bad ASOBO.

Regards

bs

Edited by bean_sprout
  • Like 2

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

I had a young man visit me last night (he drank an awful lot of my wine too LOL) who inadvertently let slip that he had not simmed since early FS2004.

I put him under my Quest 2 after setting up my lovely Rob Young Bonanza Turbo at Cairns (YBCS) in MSFS and let him go.  To say he was gobsmacked would be a ridiculous understatement.

I did not, however, tell him about the 3,106,932 and five sixteenths pages of gripes, whinges, bugs and solutions that MSFS has generated since release LOL. I think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but the last two updates have contributed to a huge amount of work, frustration and headaches for me.  All sorted now though (fingers crossed) and I am back on track.

It is an amazing VR platform too.

Tony

• Like 7

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Chuck Yeager Air Combat was so awesome. I loved putting aircraft from very different eras up against each other.

• Like 3

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Competition is the key to progress.  Nothing like it to spur innovation.  MSFS innovated in many areas (terrain, environment, graphics) but at the expense of what makes P3D great (weather with ASP3d, ATC with VoxATC and Navigraph and others, great AI and addon aircraft).  From a stagnant point a year ago waiting to see where XP and P3D went next, we're in a disruptive place with the industry responding to MSFS, especially since it tripled the user base!

• Like 2

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

For a low and slow VFR pilot like myself , MSFS has exceeded all of my expectations and more .

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bean_sprout said:

ORBX KSBA is the first scenery I bought for MSFS.  I got a feeling I'll be dropping a few bills on scenery over time but scarfing up the good free stuff also.

Cheers

bs

Head west out of KSBA to Catalina , the new Orbx scenery is amazing .

• Like 1

It’s pretty much everything I’ve been waiting for in a sim since I started the hobby. 

Do I want it to rule them all though? No. There should be competition. Still quietly rooting for Austin to do special stuff with XP.

Edited by scotchegg
Adjective order
  • Like 6

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

It all started in '83 for me with this

speccyflight.jpg

Been through almost every civilian flight sim since then except P3D (just an FSX pig with lipstick on as far as i was concerned)

As much as i enjoyed the long ride nothing beats the sheer immersion of FS2020.  There isn't a single flight I've had in the 300 odd hours so far with this sim that hasn't left me saying "wow" to myself 🙂

Sure, there are a few moments of frustration with stutters and sudden massive frame rate drops, but 99% of the time its an absolute joy, and the great thing is it can only get better from here on in.

I don't see where the competition is going to come from and how anyone can catch up let alone surpass whats going on here. 

I'd put money on the vast majority of the current naysayers being on this platform within 2 years.  With the PMDG's and A2A's of this world finally getting on board the time is coming when there will be almost no valid reason to stay away. (though frankly all the "the flight model is rubbish", "It's just a game", "it's just a bing maps simulator" crowd are welcome to stay away 😉 )

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, johnbow72 said:

For a low and slow VFR pilot like myself , MSFS has exceeded all of my expectations and more .

As to be expected and as I said earlier this is one of the great strengths of MSFS. XPlane is the leader in flight development and P3D (its add-ons) like Weather, some truly excellent tube liners, its ATC etc.

There has to be some justification in MSFS being called a scenery simulator, but, the Aircraft have started coming, Live weather is being improved and also has REX weatherforce on hand.  A few very good utilities are here and are constantly being improved.  It will not really be very long before it is a leader in all aspects and if current trends continue, it will also have a substantial lead in "BUGS" LOL

Tony

• Like 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

2 hours ago, scotchegg said:

It’s pretty much everything I’ve been waiting for in a sim since I started the hobby. 

Do I want it to rule them all though? No. There should be competition. Still quietly rooting for Austin to do special stuff with XP.

Yep, the last thing you want is for one sim to completely obliterate the market.

I don't really think X-Plane will be going anywhere anytime soon though, so long as it's not outright losing money.

P3D's future is harder to project.

• Like 4

Also agree! MSFS is the best flight sim by far! I can't wait for a proper AI package so I can do some plane spotting at some of my favorite airports!!!

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

8 hours ago, bean_sprout said:

Yea I know that it is a hooky title but of all the sims I played since 1983, MSFS is the one that I've had the most fun in (except for "Chuck Yeagers Air Combat")

Not trying to start a fight here but to express my gratitude to MS / ASOBO.

Cheers and stay steady on that yoke.

bs 

Well to be honest the sim I had the MOST fun in over the years was flying an Emil online in virtual wars for the Reich in the original IL2 Sturmovich and at that point in time flying a 109 felt more like real life flying than anything from the civilian sims of the day as well.

But yeah over an extended period of time MSFS always seems to come back with a new version to suck you back in.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 2

MSFS is stunning and I am grateful they decided to develop it once again. I thought that Microsoft Flight Simulator was gone forever, and I don't think I am alone. How surprised were we when the June19, 2019 announcement was made at the X-Box event? And most of us very confused. And some still are? It appears that someone high up in Microsoft convinced other higher ups, that with this NEW technology of many kinds. Could wow people, and somehow make a profit not only on the initial sales, but convince people and 3rd party developers ( well enough of them ), that a Market Place ( aka app store like Google and Apple, and other places ) could also make money in the long term, And the big one I think, put it on a console for the first time ever. I think secretly there is a completely different smart phone version being worked on at Skunk Works, NO kidding, except not at Skunk Works!

Lockheed Martin ( Microsoft also ) , more money than entire countries put together, and only guessing, will one day get the Bing Data version. Money talk's

X-Plane is here ONLY as long as Austin is here, I think, Never seen more than 12-15 people in a video and I would imagine they are all on contract. He doesn't have to worry about medical plans, retirement, office space ( I don't think), lean and mean machine, etc... just him, his company, and his money! I have no info, just guessing here. Who would run it after Austin? X-Plane is Austin! And Austin is X-Plane!

And I fly all my sim(s), XP-11, MSFS, and even some old FSX for some missions!

Enjoy the next 10 years everyone! I am, in all the sims! After that who knows? 

BTW, will Microsoft ever do the Google and Apple car thingy's for Bing Map's so we can get ground coverage too?

Edited by in2tech
  • Like 3

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ