Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

PMDG DC-6 thought

19 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Is it really 'going back'?  All flight simulators have good and bad points, why not use all of them for the good points.   X Plane 11 can look fantastic and also has great aircraft not available in MSFS.  If I wanted to practice dodging showers then MSFS would be my choice for the visuals.  If I wanted to fly an A2A aircraft, I would fly P3D as that is where those aircraft exist..  If I wanted to practice for real world, I would use X Plane for the way the aircraft feel.  

I love MSFS, but it is not the 'best' at everything.  

X Plane 11, and I recently tried, it twice looks like a flight sim floating in haze. I never felt like flying in XP felt like any real aircraft I have piloted. P3D I returned to for a couple of weeks while my MSFSF 2020 PC was in the shop. I hated it. I flew A2A aircraft while I was back in P3D, and couldn't wait to get back to my JF Arrow 3, Mooney, and Seminole. If I had to quit MSFS 2020, I probably would go back to railroad sims or quit simming altogether. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

On 6/28/2021 at 3:51 PM, honanhal said:

Oh, there are certainly fair, coherent reasons for sticking with P3D (or even FSX, as you say). The interesting cognitive dissonance I'm talking about here is the people who have specifically articulated their reason for sticking with P3D as "MSFS is an eye-candy game, not a sim, and the proof of that is there are no study-level planes."

Now that PMDG, inarguably a "study-level" developer, has released an aircraft for MSFS, those people have two options. They can 1) change their minds with the facts and admit that MSFS is a "sim" by their definition, or 2) move the goalposts. In other words, they simply change their reasoning. "Ok, it may have study-level aircraft, but it still doesn't have X" (fill in the blank -- a visibility slider, weather that perfectly matches METARs, a full suite of AI traffic, full RNAV capability in default aircraft, etc. etc. etc.) You can play this game forever, because MSFS, like every sim that came before it, will always be missing something🙂

James

A very good argument why each of the flight sims are perfect, for differing reasons.  I use X Plane and MSFS, plus a little P3D.  X Plane gives me the study level GA aircraft I want to fly, plus it gives me an excellent feeling of flight.  MSFS has fantastic visuals, but as yet has few really excellent GA aircraft.  Even when A2A and others appear in MSFS, I suspect I will still be using X Plane for a long time to come as that sim is just better than MSFS in some respects for now.  I still use P3D for the A2A aircraft, but I think I'll drop that sim first - it hasn't got the flight model to rival X Plane and it can't match MSFS for the visuals out the box.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

1 minute ago, Bobsk8 said:

X Plane 11, and I recently tried, it twice looks like a flight sim floating in haze. P3D I returned to for a couple of weeks while my MSFSF 2020 PC was in the shop. I hated it. I flew A2A aircraft while I was back in P3D, and couldn't wait to get back to my JF Arrow 3, Mooney, and Seminole. If I had to quit MSFS 2020, I probably would go back to railroad sims or quit simming altogether. 

...and I recently used MSFS and had autogen in a circle around the aircraft, while in X Plane I get autogen out to the horizon.  The point is we have a choice of excellent flight sims, there is no need to use just one and trash the others.

As you will never be forced to quit MSFS, I don't get your point about quitting flight simming!

• Like 2

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

56 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

...and I recently used MSFS and had autogen in a circle around the aircraft, while in X Plane I get autogen out to the horizon.  The point is we have a choice of excellent flight sims, there is no need to use just one and trash the others.

As you will never be forced to quit MSFS, I don't get your point about quitting flight simming!

My point is, to me, I think X plane and P3D are on about the same level. They both  look like 10 year old software at best, and I just could never go back to that anymore. Hey if you like it, great. I would rather do something else if they   were the only alternatives I could find. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

This all a bit pointless.  At present the sim of choice for VFR/GA flying where external in flight visuals are important is obviously MSFS 2020.  But for commercial airliner flying from complex payware airport to complex payware airport with associated accurate AI and systems is the go then P3D, for the time being, is the preferred sim - particularly if you are into trans oceanic or night flying.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

On 6/28/2021 at 12:06 PM, Bobsk8 said:

But P3D with it's wall paper scenery is so ugly now compared to MSFS2020

please dont insult wallpapers. They look way better than anything I've ever seen in p3d and xp11

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ashepherd316 said:

so when are we going to see the pmdg 747 for msfs

First half of 2022 was the last update from PMDG. 

I have been flying the DC6 since it came out, and starting yesterday , I am having problems with engine one. If I do a manual start, this it when it occurs, Ready to taxi start no problems. The prop speed on engine 1 goes up, BMEP goes down to about half, and it won't limb past about 600 FPM. Three or four other people on their forum are having the same issue. So I am just going to start all my flights with ready to taxi, rather than trying to start the engines and running into this issue. Hoping PMDG can fix this. 

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

I have been flying the DC6 since it came out, and starting yesterday , I am having problems with engine one. If I do a manual start, this it when it occurs, Ready to taxi start no problems. The prop speed on engine 1 goes up, BMEP goes down to about half, and it won't limb past about 600 FPM. Three or four other people on their forum are having the same issue. So I am just going to start all my flights with ready to taxi, rather than trying to start the engines and running into this issue. Hoping PMDG can fix this. 

Gust lock off?

2 hours ago, diajohn said:

Gust lock off?

Doesn't gust lock only prevent engines 2 and 3 from being throttled up? At least this red bar is only protecting thrust levers 2 and 3 if I remember correctly...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

8 hours ago, diajohn said:

Gust lock off?

Of course, couldn't rotate if it wasn't. 

5 hours ago, AnkH said:

Doesn't gust lock only prevent engines 2 and 3 from being throttled up? At least this red bar is only protecting thrust levers 2 and 3 if I remember correctly...

The gust lock prevents the yoke from operating...with the gust lock ON, you cannot pull the yoke back or move it forward to operate the elevator. With the gust lock ON, you cannot rotate the yoke left or right to operate the ailerons. The purpose of the gust lock is to prevent a strong gust of wind operating the ailerons or elevator when the plane parked.

• Like 1

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

11 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Have you done the engine repair and filled all the oils etc. It is on the tablet.

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

26 minutes ago, 177B said:

Have you done the engine repair and filled all the oils etc. It is on the tablet.

Yes, several times. PMDG wants me to send a log file when it malfunctions again. Guess what, I am on my third flight this morning and everything functions perfectly. 🤬

Edited by Bobsk8