Sign in to follow this  
tull

So should I buy an X box then???

My computer is an i5 3.2ghz Nvidia 1060 6gb card and is 10 years old, it runs fs2020 but only on medium settings and lots of stutters so its time to get rid, ive had enough of the stuttering... sooooooo what shall I do....better off getting an X Box x (if I can find any in stock anywere) is it for 500quid or do I spend 1500 quid on a new pc?? Will my honeycomb yoke and quadrant work on the X box??

Thanks for your advice

Regards

Paul EGCC

Regards

Paul EGCC

i think it depends on which aircraft you want to fly. I have read that e.g the Fenix A320 won't be compatible with xbox.

Honeycomb yoke and Quadrant will come in an Xbox version, but I do not think it is on the market yet.

• Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

19 minutes ago, tull said:

is it for 500quid or do I spend 1500 quid on a new pc?

I doubt a 1500$ pc can compete with a 500$ xbox x in MSFS, performance wise. 1.500$ sounds like a waste to me and hardly enough even for an acceptable GPU alone, one that will last the next 2-3 years. if you don't plan on using a VR headset and various complex USB-connected peripherals (Saitek panels etc), I would definitely go with an xbox x, otherwise pc and RTX 3090. plus 640 KB memory, that ought to be enough for every MSFS user.

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

I've been very, very tempted over the last few weeks to buy a Series S as they're on next day on Amazon. Forget the Series X, they're literally like hens teeth at the moment.

What keeps stopping me though is that I've owned consoles in the past (Playstations, never had an Xbox before) and they've always been something I've used for a few weeks and then sat under my TV gathering dust, used occasionally as a DVD/Bluray player.

Given that really my only temptation for getting one would be Flight Simulator, I feel that it'd be a more worthwhile investment to wait a little while, see what performance is like after Sim Update 5, and then give my PC a major upgrade a bit later in the year.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

3 minutes ago, turbomax said:

1.500$ sounds like a waste to me and hardly enough even for an acceptable GPU alone

1500$ for a GPU? Acceptable? We have different standards / wallet sizes. 😄

Edited by tweekz
  • Like 2

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

I'm not spending 1500 quid on a card alone....surely I can get a descent pc what will run FS2020 for 1500 pounds, I ain't spending anymore.........she wud go mad!!

Regards

Paul EGCC

59 minutes ago, tull said:

My computer is an i5 3.2ghz Nvidia 1060 6gb card and is 10 years old, it runs fs2020 but only on medium settings and lots of stutters so its time to get rid, ive had enough of the stuttering... sooooooo what shall I do....better off getting an X Box x (if I can find any in stock anywere) is it for 500quid or do I spend 1500 quid on a new pc?? Will my honeycomb yoke and quadrant work on the X box??

Thanks for your advice

Regards

Paul EGCC

Since you already have  the Honeycomb products for PC only, seems like it is a new PC. But you are the customer so it is your decision in the end. Of course at one time you could have sold your Honeycomb Yoke and Quadrant for about what you paid. Have no clue what the stock is like now for those.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

34 minutes ago, tull said:

I'm not spending 1500 quid on a card alone....surely I can get a descent pc what will run FS2020 for 1500 pounds, I ain't spending anymore.........she wud go mad!!

I would say Xbox Series X because it's relatively inexpensive IF you could find one. That's the problem. Finding video cards and consoles among other things . A pre-built PC is probably the easiest to purchase due to availability. Using Alienware as a decent rig example for your budget. You could shop around for whatever make . I wouldn't skimp on the power supply for future growth. Chose the 1000W , SSD for the drive,  and RTX3070 mid range card.

Alienware Aurora R12 Gaming Desktop | Dell USA

Semper Fi 

33 minutes ago, tull said:

Just for comparison:

I got a RX480, 8GB inside my rig. I can run it on MEDIUM-HIGH @ 1080 with 30-40fps. 20 on some addon airports. Together with an i7 7700K and 16GB Ram.

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

Just buy the new components you need, and go AMD instead of Intel.

You'll get a better bang for a buck ratio. 

I upgraded my 10 year old PC for 600€.

Granted I didn't need a new GPU since mine was only a year old when the upgrade happened.

I would strongly recommend against anything Alienware, on the basis of the proprietary case form factor and motherboard, as well as the general incompetant design -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ulhFi5N2hc  (no idea how to embed that here)

Instead I would probably recommend either trying to build your own if the parts are available for a reasonable price, or getting a prebuilt that uses a good selection of standard parts and isn't massively overpriced. I often recommend a system from here - https://www.awd-it.co.uk/gaming-pc.html  Because they have reasonably priced machines with decent quality parts and good configuration options. I haven't got direct experience of them but if I was in the market for a prebuilt it would probably be one of those.

Otherwise an Xbox offers excellent value for money, the main downsides being things like mod support, head tracking support, and inability to have a second monitor attached for a map or Discord for flying with other people.

• Like 3

An Xbox Series X will probably give you better performance than a PC for 1500 quid.

• Like 2

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

As a day 1 Xbox Series X owner, I can say that for the price it is great bang for the buck.  That's if you plan to use it for other games.  For just simming, I would wait until PC part prices drop.  Prices are through the roof right now with the whole chip shortage, but that won't last. 

Xbox is going to be limited with mod and add-on compatibility so I'm sticking with PC for simming mostly. 

My PC is 4 years old and I am going to upgrade once prices come down.  Wait a few months when this chip shortage ends and then take a fresh look.  Should be able to get a PC for a lot less. 

Edited by kerosene31
  • Like 2

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF