Sign in to follow this  
Aristoteles

Don´t feel like flying these days....

...with +104 º F /+40 º C most of the day , I have to check my GPU/CPU  temps, can hear the fans screaming and when making 3h flights I am starting to worry about the integrity of my PC. The weather is crazyHOT here in Southern Europe these days and I am starting to think I´d better skip some flights to take care of my rig. until this long heat wave ends at least, walk in the shade guys... 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Iñigo Bildarratz

Sounds like an aircon unit would help a lot. 

Or stick you PC in the frige 🙂(joke)

Is it the heat wave from Africa everyone is talking about or just very hot....

• Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

25 minutes ago, Aristoteles said:

...with +104 º F /+40 º C most of the day , I have to check my GPU/CPU  temps, can hear the fans screaming and when making 3h flights I am starting to worry about the integrity of my PC. The weather is crazyHOT here in Southern Europe these days and I am starting to think I´d better skip some flights to take care of my rig. until this long heat wave ends at least, walk in the shade guys... 

You could lower your clocks on the CPU in BIOS, and your GPU with MSI Afterburner just to be safe. 

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

Yep. Like I pray now for several days. Install afterburner. Undervolt your GPU. And go. 

I undervolted my 3080ti to a point where I now get 45-50 FPS in 4K Ultra and 65C in temps. The fans are so slow I can’t barely hear them. And that is with 30C ambient temps. 

45 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Especially the climate...

• Upvote 1

What are your temps under load now? Did you try it?

Generally, the hardware will throttle at certain temperature thresholds to ensure nothing is damaged. I think for example current gen NV GPUs start throttling at 83 C. So basically you are safe to try if you can bear the fan noise.

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

Turn down your 

1 hour ago, Aristoteles said:

Turn down your graphics setting to a preset. High. I would say. Until you resolve your cooling issues. Re seat  your chips with fresh thermal paste and de congest all the heat sinks and fans. Temps like those are not the fault of the sim.

57 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

I can vouch for that, +40 ºc here too and I was careful to install a unit just above my desk in the office right over the PC - pure bliss 🙂

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X on ROG CROSSHAIR VIIl DARK HERO (AM4), Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 V2 OC and 32 GB Vengeance Pro Ram 3600MHz. DELL Alienware AW3420DW 3440x1440 and DELL U2414H

My daughter is on a trip to Seattle, and they are having temperatures there they have never seen before. Nothing there is airconditioned  either, because they never needed it. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Cap your frames. You will be blown away how much lower you GPU temps will be. I do 60 for most games but in MSFS I find 45 to be a nice balance. 30FPS is just to low for me. 😏

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

I fly at 4k on 32" so there is no way I can fly 45+ without my 2080S  getting to 85º. It´s not a real worry guys, I can wake up early and make my scheduled flight at 7am, that´s real commitment 😉 .

• Like 1

Iñigo Bildarratz

Just a regular fan pointed at your computer might work to keep things cool. Always had a fan or two kicking around the shop to keep equipment cool when a built-in cooling fan or the building A/C failed. 

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

Just now, johncott said:

Just a regular fan pointed at your computer might work to keep things cool. Always had a fan or two kicking around the shop to keep equipment cool when a built-in cooling fan or the building A/C failed. 

Or if you have a glass side, open it or take it off. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS