Sign in to follow this  
Roy Warren

Time to enjoy what you have

1 minute ago, Roy Warren said:

One more thought I had after reading all this.  What if in August of 2020 Asobo said we have this simulator we've been working on, but it still has some bugs and features we need to fix, so  are going to wait until we get them all worked out before we release this sim.  If we release it now the wrath of AVSIM will come down on us.  So we'll tell them it will be October of 2023 before it's released. 🥺

What would be your choice?

In fact, this kind of already happened. In a thread here, it was asked "Would you like to see MSFS released now, or would you rather give them more time to finish it up perfectly?

My memory is that the vast majority of the people not in the beta, frustrated by the enticing leaks, said they had seen enough, and release it now.

Yeah......... 🙄

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 hour ago, Roy Warren said:

What if in August of 2020 Asobo said we have this simulator we've been working on, but it still has some bugs and features we need to fix, so  are going to wait until we get them all worked out before we release this sim.  If we release it now the wrath of AVSIM will come down on us.  So we'll tell them it will be October of 2023 before it's released. 🥺

What would be your choice?

Roy

My choice? If we are talking about instabilities, blocking issues, and ctds, maybe better wait until they have been fixed.

If it's about features, well it's what we were told in august 2020: "This is only the beginning, we know a few things needs work, the sim is going to be improved in time".

I bought the Premium version, perfectly knowing that many airplanes would not be a joy to fly, but I just needed one: the steam gauges172, because it takes me back to the old times with my Commodore64 in the early 80's (I know you understand). And while it's not perfect, I like it.

All went well, with some minor, justifiable hiccups now and then, and I was really loving the sim after SU4, but what happened with SU5 was too much. 

If they had told me that this could go through regressions in order to fit some console hardware limitations, and that we could expect a crashing release to be pushed on all users to meet some deadline (who tells me this is not going to happen again?), I would have passed.

That's all.

A.

Agree with your original post Roy,

Ever since SU5 hit I have racked up some serious hours in the wonderful A32NX. Before that I never really had decent performance in that bird. I recently picked up a used 42" TCL 4K TV to replace my old 40" 1080P unit. I was a bit nervous whether my trusty old 1080TI could handle higher resolution without bursting into flames lol I did lots of testing and settled on 4K in sim with a render scale of 70 (basically 1440) I tweaked the other settings and boy I just love this sim now. I know I am not running 4K with everything on Ultra, I never expected too. I will say it looks mighty fine on the ground and from the air. Yes the last few updates have been a bit of a struggle but I have learned not to jump in and update straight away, see what people are saying and then with the help of this awesome community "Be prepared"

I also have X-Plane 11 installed on the same drive as MSFS which was my "Go to" sim for years and I haven't touched it for weeks. I just love everything about MSFS right now. I am actually at the point of archiving my X-Plane install and leaving all the space for MSFS. I do wish MSFS would install like X-Plane 11, that is just unbeatable, So simple to keep a working backup on a different drive.

All in all I am one very happy camper and I am sure it will only get better.

Blue Skies to all 🙂

• Like 3

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

33 minutes ago, RJC68 said:

Ever since SU5 hit I have racked up some serious hours in the wonderful A32NX.

I was happy to read that, because as a GA pilot, I have been told again and again that this sim only works for "low and slow" which is my style of flying..  😉

Bert

3 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

I was happy to read that, because as a GA pilot, I have been told again and again that this sim only works for "low and slow" which is my style of flying..  😉

Prior to SU5 Bert  I would typically fly the TBM, Now I can't get out of the A32NX lol

Low and slow is super fun though 🙂

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

4 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

I am sure we each have our own list of bugs that need to be fixed which reminds me that in previous sims, we typically had a forum topic dedicated to listing issues and bugs..  maybe we should do that again, and keep the complaining out of the general topics.. Just a thought.. 🙂

Agree. It has taken over a year, but I too believe it is at or very near that point.  

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

7 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Hey now!  The Turbo Bonanza is not all that slow!  I am getting the speed of the default Baron and spending much less on fuel!  At over $5.15 per gallon those fuel savings  are quickly helping me catch up to the $$$ I spent on a new GPU....  

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

5 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Hey now!  The Turbo Bonanza is not all that slow!  I am getting the speed of the default Baron and spending much less on fuel!  At over $5.15 per gallon those fuel savings  are quickly helping me catch up to the $$$ I spent on a new GPU....  

Love to be a fly on the wall when you use that justification with the wife 😂

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

1 minute ago, RJC68 said:

Love to be a fly on the wall when you use that justification with the wife 😂

We are in it together.  We have bestowed thousands of $$$$ on her sewing room and equipment.  And I benefit from that! LOL!  And she benefits from my flying as it keeps me out of her sewing room and both of us free from distractions..  Except when she needs help with some maintenance or I need help calming down from a mid-flight freeze or CTD.  Helps that I have had many fewer of those since SU5 and the subsequent HFs.. 

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Strange duplicate removed.  At one time there were four duplicates appearing but somehow three of them disappeared after a page refresh.  Very weird.  

Admin if possible pls remove this one.  Thanx.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
ASUS 

3 minutes ago, fppilot said:

We are in it together.  We have bestowed thousands of $$$$ on her sewing room and equipment.  And I benefit from that! LOL!  And she benefits from my flying as it keeps me out of her sewing room and both of us free from distractions..  Except when she needs help with some maintenance or I need help calming down from a mid-flight freeze or CTD.  Helps that I have had many fewer of those since SU5 and the subsequent HFs.. 

LMAO !!!

My wife has a sewing room as well, Flying keeps me out of her hair too lol 

• Like 1

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

5 hours ago, ADamiani said:

What I do not agree with is the binary classification: either you love the sim or you hate it

This is kind of ironic from someone who just claimed (while refusing to post any actual examples) people saying they love the sim are chanting a slavish mantra of praise to the cult of MS/Asobo and denouncing those with complaints as heretics.

Could it be, dear Damiani, that despite your oft-voiced commitment to neutrality that you yourself are playing a role in the polarization of the community you claim to observe…?

• Like 3

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

11 hours ago, neil0311 said:

The operative word is “constructive” and many of the posts here and on the official forum haven’t been constructive. And even when they have been, they often lack the understanding of how things are done and why.

Some on the forums assume that Asobo flips a coin and make decisions on the spur of the moment, and that if we suggest in the forum that they do “this or that” that someone at Asobo reads it and thinks “yeah…we should do that” and then changes course. That’s not how it works. They’ve either already thought about it, and rejected the idea, or they’ve already thought about it and it’s planned but within a schedule that’s not apparent to us.

I disagree. Definitely things are carefully thought through but some things definitely make you wonder "why"? Why turn down the LOD threshold when most PC users can definitely push further than XBOX users, why degrade the night lighting when it was perfectly on the right track before and add a sepia mask, why disable things such as wind gusts and not provide a quick solution etc etc . Don't forget, we are not expecting these things just because we like to have a little tantrum... our expectations were set very high with discovery series episodes.... weather, aerodynamics etc.... its been a while since the sim has released.. we paid money for it.... now we want what we were shown. Simple as that. 

This is not bashing Asobo, I fly MSFS and DCS. In my eyes they are the most superior sims out there right now.. But when we come out to point out what they have done wrong, its because we want the sim to go further and not backward. Also keep in the back of your mind, most of us don't know how to create a game or what projects of this caliber involve, Asobo does.... but what we have on Asobo is years of simming experience in which they do not have. I actually think they done a really good job considering they don't, we just the sim to mature a little more. And I know they have people at the top wanting to see the $$$, however at the end of the hype its going to be the serious hardcore simmers and the third party developers that are going to keep MSFS alive. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Dunno about anyone else, but I'm up to over 600 hours in the FBW A320. Mainly doing 150 to 300 nm hops going around the world. The hops are long enough to get up to a good cruise altitude, but not so long that things get boring. I've only crashed once (the airplane, not the sim), and that was on the approach to PARO. Got it the second time. 😉 

Doing short hops like that has allowed me to see many smaller airports (minimum runway length 5,000 ft) (some better than others) and smaller cities. Of course, I also fly into the major cities along the way. Just my way of having fun with what we've been given.

I'm a bit lucky in that I'm a retired IT guy and know my way around PC's. I can count on one hand the number of CTD's I have had, and they have all been because of misbehaving addons. When Windows 11 is officially released, I'll be doing my second "nuke and pave" installation since purchasing MSFS 2020, just because I can. (The first one was after doing a major hardware upgrade).

Am I having fun? You betcha! Do I see room for improvement? Yup, but I don't fret about any of the small shortcomings. I'm in it for the fun.

Oh, and the TCA Airbus Captains edition (side stick and throttle quadrant) was the best thing I spent money on (other than the PC upgrades).

Onwards and upwards!

...jim

• Like 5

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.