Sign in to follow this  
Roy Warren

Time to enjoy what you have

7 hours ago, bofhlusr said:

@Roy Warren I love the 80+ year olds! Way back when... I sold what was probably the first shareware terminal program (this was before the web --think modems, bbs'es and protocols) that was self-documenting and didn't come with a manual. These were relatively complicated compared to the browsers that we have today.

I had a tech support call who asked lots of very basic questions. After a while, I very politely and respectfully suggested that maybe what he needs is to get a program that included a manual.

I never forgot his reply:

I'm 80+ years old. I don't have time to read stinkin' manuals!!

Lol.

I don’t even buy green bananas anymore.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, newtie said:

I don’t even buy green bananas anymore.

look at Mr. Green Banana's here....

I don't even open carbonated beverages. 😁

• Like 1

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

10 hours ago, Roy Warren said:

I am 85 years old and have had every version of MSFS since the first one, as well as several other titles. 

Back in the early days I used to wish that someday this sim would be like the world really is, instead of leaving so much to my imagination.  Well now we have it..

Some day after I'm gone, maybe we could land at an airport.  Rent a car. The drive around explore the town with something like Google Street View..  But for now what we have is awesome.

When TV first came out, we always had the latest state of the art televisions.  Dad was always fiddling with the controls and settings to get a better picture.  New and better antennas,  etc.

As far as I know, he never watched TV just for the enjoyment of the show. All he cared about was the quality of the picture. 

I find the same thing here.  Most post I have read complain about nit pick things that don't really matter.  This is a very complex sim and time should take care of a lot of these issues.

But for now, the sim is for flying from point A to point B.  Not, why don't the dandelions show up in my yard when I fly over it.

Time to stop complaining and start enjoying what we have.

Roy

Why do you even need to say this  - lol

Regards

bs

• Like 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

4 hours ago, OneOfMany said:

Your decision to spend the thousands. Spent thousands on guitars, amps, mixing stuff and the pc to run my DAW. Still don't have a hit record, and the DAW crashes occasionally. I blame it on the software too. 

Perspective my friend. 

Really? 😀

• Like 2

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

6 hours ago, vgbaron said:

Well, I'll be 85 in January and I agree with Roy also. To those who complain about the "gripers" - think about it - the main purpose of any forum and especially Avsim is to provide help and information. So, a great many of our users are needing help which means they are having a problem. If all the people who are NOT having a problem were to post, we'd just have a good old boy network.

I know that MS, Lockheed Martin and Asobo watch these forums regularly to get a consensus of what the issues are. As with any medium of this type you really need to toss away the extremes on either end and look at the average comment. 

In that respect, I believe that Avsim and it's users provide a balanced output of the feelings about MSFS, so while I agree with Roy ( I am one who has very few issues) I urge those who do have issues to bring them up. You never know who might be reading your post.  🙂 

Vic

Well thank the heavens for this.  Vic - I thank you for this post.  A balanced perspective at last and I totally agree. 

I have found the tone of the Avsim MSFS forum to be about right overall.  When there is a good update, people are rightly gushing over it. 
When we have a bad one and regressions on items that were fixed once, people comment on it, and there are more 'negative' threads. 
I don't know what some people expect really.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

13 hours ago, Roy Warren said:

Most post I have read complain about nit pick things that don't really matter.

I agree 100%.

What I find curious, though, are the 80+ likes you got. 

Other posters who basically have said and are saying the same thing (and are also flightsim "veterans") immediately get scolded. 

I tell you: Avsim, better than Netflix.😏

16 hours ago, Roy Warren said:

Back in the early days I used to wish that someday this sim would be like the world really is, instead of leaving so much to my imagination.  Well now we have it..

A bit of nostalgia... Freeware Meigs Airfield with Orbx (DD) Chicago Landmarks.. notice the blimp  😉

cGL3aFf.jpg

• Like 4

Bert

9 hours ago, vgbaron said:

In that respect, I believe that Avsim and it's users provide a balanced output of the feelings about MSFS, so while I agree with Roy ( I am one who has very few issues) I urge those who do have issues to bring them up. You never know who might be reading your post.  🙂 

Vic

Avsim is not a church, it is a multinational bar and does its job quite well 😉.

We do not come here to commune but to exchange infos, experiences and to debate. This, with very different cultural backgrounds. Politely and with common sense if possible but without reverence.  

It is good to see people enjoying the sim, I do quite a bit and that is why, like few others, I post screenies from time to time of my world exploration to show what this sim is all about, but it is also useful to read people expressing dismay and frustration as it will push Asobo to try harder.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

A bit of nostalgia... Freeware Meigs Airfield with Orbx (DD) Chicago Landmarks.. notice the blimp  😉

cGL3aFf.jpg

This picture is amazing.  Sometimes, MSFS pictures look almost like real life.  If you didn't tell me this was an MSFS picture and I wasn't looking too carefully at the picture, I would have thought this was a real life picture!

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Fantastic post Roy (OP). 

Of course there is much in what you say about enjoying MSFS which is really a metaphor for life in general.  Nothing is perfect and so yes we must complain and badger and request and argue and debate because sometimes (maybe every time) that's only way to improve outcomes.  Of course we should always do this thoughtfully and respectfully, not with put downs, threats and ragged emotion. I am personally very impressed by the general quality of posts of this forum (ably assisted by 'shark like' mods) which display oodles of knowledge, experience, helpfulness and critical debate and I am very confident this is why the forum is so respected by the likes of Asobo et al and why it has such influence in our field of endeavor.

But all of us need to take a leaf out of your book Roy.  What are we here for?  Why have some of us being bashing keys to move imaginary planes around a computer screen ever since we first could? Because of our love of/passion for flying. Its in our blood. And so we all need to take time to stop and step away from Avsim for just a moment to actually go flying, and then we see what we have. It's not perfect but still incredibly amazing in a global sense! Our World. We can go anywhere we like and see a fair representation of what is actually there and enjoy an incredibly realistic flight experience along the way. 

My daughter lived in St Malo, France for 2 years and she spent plenty of time shopping intra muros (inside the city walls). I showed her the image below and she immediately started pointing out the streets she enjoyed the most, and the places she had shopped and dined intra muros.  She was so happy to 'revisit' St Malo, and I was so happy at the memories she retrieved from this image, that I did not have the heart then, and will probably never tell her, it was from a flight simulator!  All the best Roy!! 

Terry      

AM-JKLXYxcSGhotmP08KDZwB9IDH6nEDTWuJ26n-_oDwREg1uL6Ddmx0p05mOc2YVR0WR2RmOOZYiShzG8Lm4N8Nj0_BnaqOOMbKxBwp6x6CY1p9B27FkwI_850hg0ivK5sGcSFYausYsDZ-GAdMZqG4ZxCO=w1920-h1057-no?authuser=0

• Like 3

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

18 minutes ago, Lord Farringdon said:

Fantastic post Roy (OP). 

Of course there is much in what you say about enjoying MSFS which is really a metaphor for life in general.  Nothing is perfect and so yes we must complain and badger and request and argue and debate because sometimes (maybe every time) that's only way to improve outcomes.  Of course we should always do this thoughtfully and respectfully, not with put downs, threats and ragged emotion. I am personally very impressed by the general quality of posts of this forum (ably assisted by 'shark like' mods) which display oodles of knowledge, experience, helpfulness and critical debate and I am very confident this is why the forum is so respected by the likes of Asobo et al and why it has such influence in our field of endeavor.

But all of us need to take a leaf out of your book Roy.  What are we here for?  Why have some of us being bashing keys to move imaginary planes around a computer screen ever since we first could? Because of our love of/passion for flying. Its in our blood. And so we all need to take time to stop and step away from Avsim for just a moment to actually go flying, and then we see what we have. It's not perfect but still incredibly amazing in a global sense! Our World. We can go anywhere we like and see a fair representation of what is actually there and enjoy an incredibly realistic flight experience along the way. 

My daughter lived in St Malo, France for 2 years and she spent plenty of time shopping intra muros (inside the city walls). I showed her the image below and she immediately started pointing out the streets she enjoyed the most, and the places she had shopped and dined intra muros.  She was so happy to 'revisit' St Malo, and I was so happy at the memories she retrieved from this image, that I did not have the heart then, and will probably never tell her, it was from a flight simulator!  All the best Roy!! 

Terry      

AM-JKLXYxcSGhotmP08KDZwB9IDH6nEDTWuJ26n-_oDwREg1uL6Ddmx0p05mOc2YVR0WR2RmOOZYiShzG8Lm4N8Nj0_BnaqOOMbKxBwp6x6CY1p9B27FkwI_850hg0ivK5sGcSFYausYsDZ-GAdMZqG4ZxCO=w1920-h1057-no?authuser=0

Very nice pic Terry. 

• Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Lord Farington (Terry)  Thanks for your post with the picture of St Malo, France.  This brings to mind some other thoughts about MSFS.

All my life I always said that when I retire I wanted to travel and see all the places I had heard about but never been to.  No that I'm free to do that, I'm lucky if I can drive to the grocery store and back.

Flight simulator has solved that for me.  I have visited places all over the world.  i have toured New York City which I would be afraid to do by car.  I have flown a C-17 out of Bagram.  I have visited Bagdad, Austria, Switzerland, Scotland and countless other places.  Every day is another vacation trip.  When I am reading a book and it mentions some far off place, I go there.

This is my point.  There is so much to see, For me, I don't have time to tinker with the settings. Better close.  I've got to catch my flight to New Zealand.

Roy

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Roy Warren said:

Every day is another vacation trip.  When I am reading a book and it mentions some far off place, I go there.

Just in case you don't know this already, Bushtalk Radio can enhance your virtual travel even more. I just discovered it recently and it has transformed my simming experience completely.

https://bushtalkradio.com/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roy Warren said:

This is my point.  There is so much to see

he he, I did more than my share of world travelling in my life but still love to   explore the nooks and crannies of the planet with MFS.

What is your last flight Roy ? Mine was from Hatzerim AFB in Israel to Sharm El Sheikh in Egypt, a beautiful flight over the Negev and the Sinai shores. I love the landing in SES ! And, lo and behold I did my first nice landing with the Gina (SSW G-91) without breaking my neck  !

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam