Sign in to follow this  
Roy Warren

Time to enjoy what you have

2 hours ago, Roy Warren said:

Lord Farington (Terry)  Thanks for your post with the picture of St Malo, France.  This brings to mind some other thoughts about MSFS.

All my life I always said that when I retire I wanted to travel and see all the places I had heard about but never been to.  No that I'm free to do that, I'm lucky if I can drive to the grocery store and back.

Flight simulator has solved that for me.  I have visited places all over the world.  i have toured New York City which I would be afraid to do by car.  I have flown a C-17 out of Bagram.  I have visited Bagdad, Austria, Switzerland, Scotland and countless other places.  Every day is another vacation trip.  When I am reading a book and it mentions some far off place, I go there.

This is my point.  There is so much to see, For me, I don't have time to tinker with the settings. Better close.  I've got to catch my flight to New Zealand.

Roy

That's me to a tee Roy.   And what I also do, is plan a trip then go online during the sleepy part of the flight (you know at 40,000 feet with 500m to go before descent) and read up about the new place I'm going to.  It's a hoot!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

3 hours ago, Roy Warren said:

All my life I always said that when I retire I wanted to travel and see all the places I had heard about but never been to.  No that I'm free to do that, I'm lucky if I can drive to the grocery store and back.

Flight simulator has solved that for me.  I have visited places all over the world.  i have toured New York City which I would be afraid to do by car.  I have flown a C-17 out of Bagram. 

Nice posts by @Lord Farringdon and you. There are certainly several ways to enjoy MSFS, and I would call none of them "wrong". But to me, visiting places I'll never be able during the rest of my short life is an important aspect.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 4

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

As much as I like the original comment, we should not forget an other aspect. If we dont't ask for change or progress we will stay where we are ... forever.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Roy,

Superbly said!!!  I especially enjoyed the part about your father not watching TV but concerned about the quality of the picture.  My father bought a new car every 2 years, but he covered the beautiful leather seats of every car he owned in a sheepskin throw to "preserve" the seats for the next owner of the car.  ENJOY WHAT WE HAVE....what a great message.

Stan

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Nemo said:

if we dont't ask for change or progress we will stay where we are ... forever.

I don't think that is true--MS/A has a vision of what they're after.  Perhaps visiting forums helps them prioritize but I think it's a mistake to believe their motivation to progress and change is based on what 'we ask for'.  JMOOC

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

22 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

As far as I am concerned the "popping trees" and the toilet that won't flush are on a par with each other. BTW, I don't see popping trees, am I doing something wrong?

Right, "forests appearing out of thin air" is more like that. 

My bad, English is not my first language.

Yes, I think that's sort of an immersion killer, while broken toilets are not.

It would be the other way around in a plumber simulator of course.

A.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RALF9636 said:

I was glad to read what you posted; these are my sentiments exactly.

And I am even more happy to see the overwhelming number of likes your post has received so far. That puts things into perspective and proves that the good handful of posters who keep filling up this forum with their negativity are really just a small - but loud - minority.

Don't get me wrong, nothing against constructive criticism which helps to improve the sim. But what is going on here (and on the official MSFS forum as well) in large parts has nothing to do with constructive criticism at all.

It's an old politician trick: "I am open-minded and listen to everyone, I listen to complains, provided it's constructive criticism".

Sounds sooo good and politically correct ...

So, if you complain and do not have a solution, you are easily dismissed for "destructive criticism".

On the other hand, if you complain and suggest a solution, you are easily dismissed because "your solution doesn't  work: you know nothing; I know the real situation, I am the only one who can find a solution, and I'm doing just great".

If you think about it, you'll find out that this has already happened in this forum a number of times.

Which essentially translates in: "Praise Asobo, praise Microsoft, love your sim and never complain."

A.

5 hours ago, spilok said:

Roy,

Superbly said!!!  I especially enjoyed the part about your father not watching TV but concerned about the quality of the picture.  My father bought a new car every 2 years, but he covered the beautiful leather seats of every car he owned in a sheepskin throw to "preserve" the seats for the next owner of the car.  ENJOY WHAT WE HAVE....what a great message.

Stan

My first hobby is listening to music. I am totally enjoying my new DAC: It sounds so good I can't believe it.

At the same time, I know there can still be improvements. Does that mean I am not enjoying it?

The two things are not mutually exclusive. I need not trick myself into believing that I have the best hifi setup or the best flight simulator available; I do not hate someone who points out a flaw I had missed. 

Reality is already good enough to be happy.

A.

6 hours ago, Noel said:

That's me to a tee Roy.   And what I also do, is plan a trip then go online during the sleepy part of the flight (you know at 40,000 feet with 500m to go before descent) and read up about the new place I'm going to.  It's a hoot!

I find having a nap during the "sleepy" part of the flight works for me. ATC wakes me up when it's time to descend. 😉

...jim

• Like 1

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

1 hour ago, ADamiani said:

if you complain and suggest a solution, you are easily dismissed because "your solution doesn't  work: you know nothing; I know the real situation, I am the only one who can find a solution, and I'm doing just great".

This does not actually happen.

1 hour ago, ADamiani said:

Which essentially translates in: "Praise Asobo, praise Microsoft, love your sim and never complain."

Nobody is saying anything remotely like this. 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

7 hours ago, scotchegg said:

Which is how this user got onto my "ignore" list..

• Upvote 1

Bert

9 hours ago, ADamiani said:

It would be the other way around in a plumber simulator of course.

I am not sure if you were serious but VR plumbing simulators are indeed a real thing ...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Noel said:

I think it's a mistake to believe their motivation to progress and change is based on what 'we ask for'.  JMOOC

Absolutely, they don’t listen and don’t care  🤣. If you say it... They shift gear only when they see the pitchforks at their windows re: the hurried hotfixes after the calamitous release of SU5/Xbox version

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

3 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

I am not sure if you were serious but VR plumbing simulators are indeed a real thing ...

I can't believe it.

They have Virtual Reality! wow .... 

A.

p.s. I think we can confirm that reduced LOD is not an immersion breaker in this sim :-))))))

10 hours ago, scotchegg said:

It is happening and they are.

Been away with no Internet connection in the last weeks?

A.