Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

My MSFS Update Also Downloaded Windows 11

8 minutes ago, DylanM said:

it's the bloomin livery...nothing for Win was downloaded

Dylan, please revisit my post from about two hours ago in your own previous topic and you will see I was and am 100% aware of the livery update.  Two hours before I updated.  So please discontinue your chiding.  What I reported here is not about the livery.
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/608850-free-update-msfs-game-of-the-year-edition/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-4645429

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

24 minutes ago, strider1 said:

I would not be surprised if true. I mean there is no informed consent when they are collecting everybody's data, and bribing the governments of the world with their healthcare endeavors.

I swear to god... everyone is losing their bleeding minds. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

"What we have here, is a failure to communicate."

Frank's issue is NOT the badly named "Windows 11" thing that appears IN the sim (which is actually a bunch of POI updates). What Frank got was a coincidental download (via Windows Update) of the Windows 11 OS update package. Keep in mind that the MSStore version uses Windows Update facilities to do its thing. This can cause other Windows updates to download (and sometimes install, if critical).

Frank, the Windows 11 OS update you got will NOT be installed until you tell it to install. So, no worries there. It's MS's way of nudging you towards Win11. I don't agree with it, as it takes up disk space and bandwidth unnecessarily, but there you go, MS's way of doing things.

...jim

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

Let's please keep the discussion civil.

I think coincidental download probably explains it, or perhaps a planned M$ preparatory download initiated as a consequence of running the update service to get the MSFS update.

These are the joys of Windows "as a service" with a forced update regimen.  The good news is that it didn't actually update the OS without asking.  I'd suggest that it's probably not a bad idea to keep TPM disabled if you want to definitively prevent a W11 upgrade from auto-installing at some point, by accident or by design...

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

6 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Let's please keep the discussion civil.

I think coincidental download probably explains it, or perhaps a planned M$ preparatory download initiated as a consequence of running the update service to get the MSFS update.

These are the joys of Windows "as a service" with a forced update regimen.  The good news is that it didn't actually update the OS without asking.  I'd suggest that it's probably not a bad idea to keep TPM disabled if you want to definitively prevent a W11 upgrade from auto-installing at some point, by accident or by design...

Perhaps it's best to change the topic title and add in this information to the OP so as to avoid the blatant misinformation...!

Edit: or just close the thread and let it sink

Edited by MarcG

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

24 minutes ago, JimBrown said:

I can download 50 updates.

This sounds like the most likely occurrence.

Edited by Maladoror

Alienware Aurora R13, i9 12900K, Z690, 3080ti, 64GB DDR5, 2TB NVMe

Just curious question, what is TPM 2.0? 

As result of this thread, I check my Windows 10 update, and sure enough it said my computer did not meet the requirement for upgrade to Windows 11.  I ran MS's PC Health program and checked why I was not compatible with Windows 11. The reason was TPM 2.0.  Before I do something dumb and stupid, and activate TPM 2.0 and install Windows 11 (and turn my computer into a boat anchor), I would like to know what "TPM 2.0" is and why it is so dang important to Windows 11.

Thanks!

Rich Boll

Wichita KS   

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

49 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Dylan, please revisit my post from about two hours ago in your own previous topic and you will see I was and am 100% aware of the livery update.  Two hours before I updated.  So please discontinue your chiding.  What I reported here is not about the livery.
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/608850-free-update-msfs-game-of-the-year-edition/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-4645429

Apologies Frank - I think Jim has the right explanation about the parallel download (it is also MS "Patch Tuesday").

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JimBrown said:

Frank's issue is NOT the badly named "Windows 11" thing that appears IN the sim (which is actually a bunch of POI updates). What Frank got was a coincidental download (via Windows Update) of the Windows 11 OS update package. Keep in mind that the MSStore version uses Windows Update facilities to do its thing. This can cause other Windows updates to download (and sometimes install, if critical).

Frank, the Windows 11 OS update you got will NOT be installed until you tell it to install. So, no worries there. It's MS's way of nudging you towards Win11. I don't agree with it, as it takes up disk space and bandwidth unnecessarily, but there you go, MS's way of doing things.

...jim

Thank you Jim.  I agree with you that the culprit, if there is one, was the updating process through the MS Store.  A bit of additional information I shared in another topic is this. I did not update this time by starting MSFS.  I left MSFS closed.  I opened the standalone MS Store Windows app and updated just from it.  When I clicked on check for updates the only update listed was for MSFS.  But clearly the update process threw Win 11 my way as well.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Just now, Ricardo41 said:

My PC accidentally downloaded Windows Vista! Crushed!!!

Would a moderator please lock this thread. Really sad to see this type of unwarranted SA behavior surface here.

Please?

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Windows 11 can't download without TPM 2.0 being enabled .....

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

OK guys, 'nuf said.  Time to move on.

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case