Sign in to follow this  
ark4diusz

Prepar3D v5.3 released

45 minutes ago, TurboKen said:

If you are still having occasional freezing with HT off I would consider lowering your clocks from 5.2 down to 5.1. Its a very easy change in the bios. Even for an 8086 chip you are really pushing it to its max. FPS wise I doubt you would even notice a difference.

That’s my intention. My only concern is whether the voltage needs changing. I would hope not for such a minor change.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

15 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

That’s my intention. My only concern is whether the voltage needs changing. I would hope not for such a minor change.

Shouldn't do for a down clock

Edited by kevinfirth
  • Like 1

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

spacer.png xaP1VAU.png

21 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

it seems Asus SUITE cannot overclock on virtual cores, only actual ones.

Virtual cores don't have their own "virtual" clock! A virtual core is just sharing one of the real cores. So the core clock is the same, overclocked or not.

Pete

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

1 hour ago, Pete Dowson said:

Virtual cores don't have their own "virtual" clock! A virtual core is just sharing one of the real cores. So the core clock is the same, overclocked or not.

Pete

Thanks Pete. Didn’t appreciate that. I’ve adjusted core speed on first 3 to 5.1.

Time will tell if that solves the occasional freezes.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Thanks Pete. Didn’t appreciate that. I’ve adjusted core speed on first 3 to 5.1.

Time will tell if that solves the occasional freezes.

Hopefully if you reduce the clock speed slightly and leave the voltage then this should work if the freeze is caused by insufficient voltage for the chosen speed. If the temps get too high (with the current voltages) then the chip should throttle down rather than cause a pause and I think you have said previously that your max temps are within limits.

just did my first test flight in v5.3 

no issues (apart from the dodgy obx file)  very smooth and stutter free, alot better than v5.2 

it was a completly fresh install and I left out both orbx vector and "that other night time vector addon" which we are not allowed to talk about,  both of which apprently cause issues,

all in all.  not bad at all once you fix that OBX file issue they missed.

Edited by fluffyflops

14ppkc-6.png

2 hours ago, simfan1983 said:

Hopefully if you reduce the clock speed slightly and leave the voltage then this should work if the freeze is caused by insufficient voltage for the chosen speed. If the temps get too high (with the current voltages) then the chip should throttle down rather than cause a pause and I think you have said previously that your max temps are within limits.

I ran my Heathrow test this morning and fps were unchanged. I have the Asus fan utility running and can hear it speed up when required. Temps don’t appear to be an issue.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 12/7/2021 at 7:26 PM, SteveW said:

The new affinity settings allow us to place the most important time critical tasks on cores that are free of other processes 

On the subject of AM settings, does P3D now calculate them itself with no assistance? I ask because my config file originally on first install had a setting of 15. On the advice of a fellow expert here I changed it to 246 but when I checked again today it had reverted twice to a new setting of 255. Is it controllable?

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

On 12/7/2021 at 5:09 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

Set monitor to 30Hz if it’s capable and enable VSync. That makes it as smooth as possible but there’ll still be a few.

Johnny19..

Not convinced this will solve your issue...I tried this very same thing yesterday and still got micro stutters.

For me I found setting VSync and triple Buffering to on and frame rate limited to 30 and it then became very smooth.

I also found setting monitor refresh rate to 30Hz in NVidia control panel made my mouse annoyingly lag, not sure if you can set NVidia control panel to only set 30Hz once you start Prepr3D.

I would try all combinations

Dave

@davenicoll thanks for your input. Freezes don't occur due to out of sync frames, because i don't get the same behavior of the sim with NGXu or default aircraft. Something happens when FSLabs bus is loaded and i can't figure it out what causes the freezes.

It's not spotlights, not simlink, not AIG Traffic Controler, orbx synced and verified...

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

On 12/5/2021 at 10:52 PM, coastaldriver said:

The reason is that all three main parts of the P3D program have been all updated and changed - client, content and scenery so that is why it saying uninstall these so the update and complete new client, content and scenery can then be installed properly.

The process is to use the WIN10 App install/uninstall function. When you open the APP menu you will see there three P3D apps - content, client and scenery. Just select the uninstall for the apps or P3D in that sequence. When the client part of the program uninstalls it happens it will prompt you asking you do you wish to deactivate the license - say NO to deactivate the license. That way you will not need to then reactivate your P3D via LM nor should you need to reinstall addons models etc.  What should occur is that any addon content in the documents files and any other addons you have in the main P3D folder will remain there - just P3D the application and is relevant program directoriies and files are removed. 

Then do the installation via the P3D exe for the setup. The install application will then proceed to do the installation automatically and you will end up with V5.3 with all your addons still there and ready to go. The only external updates you will then need to do will be to external programs such as ORBX Global, Vector because the new version of P3D will have overwritten the ORBX files which in turn ORBX will again overwrite if you update via verify using ORBX central and then use the help function there to synchronise the scenery config. If your not an ORBX user it does not matter. 

When the uninstall happens the uninstall application will only remove the LM files not all the ones you have added and the various folders etc they were put into so when it is uninstalled you will see you should still have a P3D main folder with a bunch of directories still there that contain addon info and files. 

The setup will automatically find all these addons etc and indexing them back in as it rebuilds and installs the application. So you should see the updated sim when you first start with all your old models and scenery stil lthere and ready to go. 

Word of warning - V5.3 needs about another or additional 45GB of disk space compared to the previous installation, so make sure that is available on your hard drive or the drive you have P3D installed on. 

Thank you for that easy explination.  

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

There are definitely improvements to internal functionality (Plus EA and Vol Clouds). I am noticing that all my various guages and instrumentation is working very smoothly and in some cases now works or the original functions now operate properly. For example the Aerosoft built in GPS/Com systems are now smooth as silk and working very well indeed, in fact I was surprised with the Twin Otter that it could do all that it does for some reason all those built in menus, check lists etc now function smoothly and properly. Noticed the same with some other stuff as well. So they have obviously done a lot of work on getting all this internal scriptiing to function properly and seamlessly. Bonus!

I am getting a rock solid 30 FPS with my GPU now operating at less than 50% capacity and the sim runs smooth and stutter free. I like the improvements to EA, they are subtle here and there. I cannot vouch for other users but on my intel system (6/12 cores) and NVIDIA 2070 I cannot complain about anything at all. 

• Like 2

On 12/5/2021 at 1:05 AM, shermank said:

I think you are quibbling over something  very minor. But to each his own and as the Romans would say, Degustibus non est Disputandum.

sherm

I would have thought that was just the end of the urban area.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

17 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

On the subject of AM settings, does P3D now calculate them itself with no assistance? I ask because my config file originally on first install had a setting of 15. On the advice of a fellow expert here I changed it to 246 but when I checked again today it had reverted twice to a new setting of 255. Is it controllable?

6700K is a quad core CPU with HyperThreading (HT) which gives 4 physical cores or Logical Processors (LPs) or with HT enabled you have 8 LPs on four cores.

8 LPs all on =11,11,11,11 or decimal 255. Decimal 256 (=01,00,00,00,00) will not fit on 8 LPs you need more than 4 cores for that and in any case would only enable one LP.

With HT disabled 4 cores = 1111 = decimal 15

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Cores - physical logical or virtual?

Each physical core represents one logical processor, and with Hyperthreading available and enabled (for the common desktop processors), each physical core represents (or emulates) two logical processors. This is not one physical and one virtual core but rather each HT core emulates two logical (or virtual) cores when HT is enabled.

Thread Director and Windows 11

With the latest Intel 12th gen CPUs (e.g. 12900, 12700, 12600) these include new functionality called the "Thread Director". This feeds telemetry data to Windows 11 operating systems and above so that the JobScheduler can work out where threads might better be located in real time.

However the way Prepar3D works this will use the Prepar3D.cfg that tells the JobScheduler where it wants to locate its tasks and those tasks stay in their positions during the run (unless forced changes through task manager etc.).

Edited by SteveW

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com