Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Most likely no Hotfix this year

2 hours ago, AnkH said:

Nonsense. I am playing PC games for almost 30y and almost never use the default location. Never had an issue due to the installation location. In contrast, for years, it could have been a basic mistake to install e.g. FS9 or FSX into the default location due to admin issues with some files ending up on the C drive. 

Okay, here is an example where if you use a non-standard location, it causes problems and the MSFS forum moderator recommends installing to the default location on the C: drive:

I’ll give you some advice about how you installed it. When it works, it works. But when it doesn’t it’s difficult.

When you tell the MS Store where to install apps to another location, as you see it creates a system file on that location drive. It puts more files there than if you let it go to C :

I would recommend letting the MS Store use it’s default location on the C drive 

This is exactly what I mean.  For most people, things go smooth for them even if they don't install it in the default location.  Then you have some users like the OP in that thread, who encounters problems when they don't use the default location and the MSFS forum moderator recommends to them they should use the default location in the C :  drive to overcome those problems.

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

3 hours ago, wim123 said:

complete nonsense this, never ever done that and no problems.

And yet some people experience problems when they don't use the default location, and the official recommendation from the MSFS forum moderator is to use the default location to fix that particular problem:

I’ll give you some advice about how you installed it. When it works, it works. But when it doesn’t it’s difficult.

When you tell the MS Store where to install apps to another location, as you see it creates a system file on that location drive. It puts more files there than if you let it go to C :

I would recommend letting the MS Store use it’s default location on the C drive 

Just because you don't encounter problems with a non default location, don't assume others won't.

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

The only thing installed in the default location on my system is Windows.

I put everything else where I want it. I have nothing other than Windows on my C drive. I have an E: drive (2Tb) that is dedicated to MSFS, and an F: (formerly E:) drive which has FSX, FSX-SE, and P3D v4 & v5 installations and supporting applications on it, including the archived SW and installers. 

All of my non FS related applications and data are located on D:.

I use 3 simple rules to lay out my systems. 1. - The OS gets it's own drive to manage and nothing else gets (intentionally) put on it. 2. - "Critical",  Productivity, finance, and other "serious" applications as well as my main data store get their own drive. 3. - Entertainment, "experimental", and stuff related to development work goes on it's own drive.

Critical drive gets backed up monthly, entertainment drive gets backed up quarterly or semi-annually. C drive rarely gets backed up as I have the install media.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 4

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

3 hours ago, Fielder said:

I don't know the answer. But  Microsoft in the forum posted in at least one place that it is less likely to have to reinstall if the program is not in the default location.

e.g. https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-change-the-installation-path-of-installed-packages-inc-community-folder/471682

"If MSFS ever needs to be reinstalled, pointing the content manager to the location of this custom folder should prevent the download of all the packages." - Microsoft

Yeah, these statements also leave me perplexed 🙂

When it comes to software there is no "less likely" or "should". It is always: if you do this, then you get that.

33 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

The only problem is that the sim updater always points to the directory reported at the bottom of UserCfg.opt file. So if you manually move the location of the packages, on the occasion of an update you have to remember to, either:

1) click on Browse and point the updater to the correct location OR

2) edit UserCfg.opt and write the new location after the parameter InstalledPackagesPath at the bottom

If you don't do that, the installer starts downloading the files to the default location, which is empty, and you end up redownloading the entire 100+ GB. 

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

Opt into the beta. More flying, less crying.

• Like 5

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

Great topic again:  I thought it was "Whining  But now I read that whinging is the Britisch whining.

Every time I visit Avsim I learn something!

• Like 1

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

There's really only one thing I'm sure of as I'm plowing through this thread (I'm clearly a masochist): it has no value added whatsoever and just poisons the discourse. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, hansb57 said:

Great topic again:  I thought it was "Whining  But now I read that whinging is the Britisch whining.

Every time I visit Avsim I learn something!

Both whine and whinge are used in Britain. Usage is potentially (and partly) a case of dialectal variation; there are also differences in the context of use.

Just now, March Hare said:

Both whine and whinge are used in Britain. Usage is potentially (and partly) a case of dialectal variation; there are also differences in the context of use.

Now this thread, after 13 pages, starts to bring some value to the reader. As non native speaker I always thought that  a baby whines (cries) but I whine (grumble) if asked to do a house chore.

So I had a look on the Merriam-Webster which says

Whinge isn't a simple spelling variant of whine. Whinge and whine are actually entirely different words with separate histories. Whine traces to an Old English verb, hwinan, which means "to make a humming or whirring sound." When hwinan became whinen in Middle English, it meant "to wail distressfully"; whine didn't acquire its "complain" sense until the 16th century. Whinge, on the other hand, comes from a different Old English verb, hwinsian, which means "to wail or moan discontentedly." Whinge retains that original sense today, though nowadays it puts less emphasis on the sound of the complaining and more on the discontentment behind the complaint.

😉

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

15 hours ago, jbdbow1970 said:

True but unlike MSFS in others previous sims or at least P3D or X-plane you could always roll back to previous versions (updates) that were working and not have to be "mandated" to stay to the current version which always cause issues "breaking things", I think that is the biggest pet peeve with folks about MSFS which is understandable, no one likes it but some hear are very vocal about it and on a daily basis will let anyone and everyone reading know about it. LOL

I have to agree with you FOR SURE! This su7 was really bad, especially for us VR people. I wish I could have rolled back to su6, but in Microsoft’s defence they kinda gave us a fix with the beta option not too long after they broke it. Right now I’m flying my Kodiak(best plane yet imho) and MSFS is running the best it ever has, for me at least. That will probably change soon though, MSFS is just all over the place since it came out, I hope it gets stable soon.

ROG MAXIMUS X HERO, Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB's 3200 RAM, Gigabyte RTX3080,

1 hour ago, Dominique_K said:

Now this thread, after 13 pages, starts to bring some value to the reader. As non native speaker I always thought that  a baby whines (cries) but I whine (grumble) if asked to do a house chore.

So I had a look on the Merriam-Webster which says

Whinge isn't a simple spelling variant of whine. Whinge and whine are actually entirely different words with separate histories. Whine traces to an Old English verb, hwinan, which means "to make a humming or whirring sound." When hwinan became whinen in Middle English, it meant "to wail distressfully"; whine didn't acquire its "complain" sense until the 16th century. Whinge, on the other hand, comes from a different Old English verb, hwinsian, which means "to wail or moan discontentedly." Whinge retains that original sense today, though nowadays it puts less emphasis on the sound of the complaining and more on the discontentment behind the complaint.

😉

Usually by the third or fourth glass of wine, I'll stop whining. Might take a fifth glass to stop whinging.

😉

...jim

• Like 5

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

7 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

Public beta + Accuseason + Kodiak 100 = Challenge, immersion and fun

I flew this combination last night for 8 hours, going to bed at 5am!  The Kodiak 100 is such a good aircraft in the sim.  Starting it up is fantastic by itself 🙃

• Upvote 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

5 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

I love language, and the etymology of words. I hold first-class honours in English Language and Literature. I never did very well in school, but when you choose to study something, as a mature student, that you truly enjoy, you can really excel.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Just now, March Hare said:

I love language, and the etymology of words.  

Etymology carries indeed our history as much as old stones and that is why I can't stand those who want to reform French to make it more "accessible". They prefer their dumb egalitarian ideas to our history. A language evolves naturally over centuries and that should be respected. 

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam