Sign in to follow this  
chapstick

It's been half a year since 5.3 came out

55 minutes ago, Nocturnal said:

And we're back to the old MSFS vs P3D argument again...........🙄🤓

It's hard not to factor in MSFS when considering P3D's future and I actually think @StAgre did a good job of explaining why users will gravitate to one platform over another without "comparing" sims. It comes down to sunk investment or key features/functionality that doesn't exist in MSFS yet.  There are absolutely corner cases where for numerous reasons some users can not or will not change.  

With that being said, all of my HW from P3D now works with PMDG in MSFS via Oi4FS just like they did in P3D 🙂  It's great to have Opencockpits HW support on both platforms now! 

Doesn't mean I am done with P3D though, there are still no good widebodies or heavies in MSFS and as I prefer the 777/787 I still spend most of my flight hours in P3D.  Having HW support and the 737 have changed that equation somewhat but still can't replace my add-on heavies for long/ultra long haul which is what I prefer to simulate.  

• Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

48 minutes ago, Nocturnal said:

And we're back to the old MSFS vs P3D argument again...........🙄🤓

Hard to avoid when one FS platform's developer says nothing publicly about improvements/updates until release, while the other has a very detailed and frequently communicated roadmap.

MSFS is the Elephant in the room regarding P3D discussions. This is caused by the vast majority of the market that resembles us individual home users, having moved to MSFS and caused many 3PDs to follow them.

It's disappointing that LM continues to remain silent on whether they're working on improvements for v5.4 or that significant work is underway for v6.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

30 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

This is caused by the vast majority of the market that resembles us individual home users, having moved to MSFS and caused many 3PDs to follow them.

If they have moved to MSFS, what are they doing in the P3D forum?

• Upvote 4

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

For me it is just a question of time.

I haven't bought MSFS yet and I am just waiting for the platform to mature until it caters my flight sim needs. I have been wrestling with the idea of maybe moving to MSFS for VFR once the A2A Comanche comes out. In terms of IFR, I think I will stick to P3D for now.

Vincent

Edited by gyzmonfishball

4 hours ago, David Vega said:

I would prefer comments like this to be absent from the Avsim forums. Previous users of P3D will know a lot about the simulator (particularly when compared to MSFS), so I do not have a problem with "MSFS only" users posting here.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

5 hours ago, David Vega said:

I hate these kind of fragile comments, like people aren't allowed to follow and have an interest in other platforms despite not using them actively. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

5 hours ago, David Vega said:

Well I'm one who moved to MSFS and no longer have P3D installed, but I like to come past to see if I can value add or offer help to P3D users who users of P3D 3rd party addons who might need it. I figure having used the software for 8 years and spend many thousands on addons perhaps I might be able to help others out somewhat should they need it.

But if thats not acceptable I guess I can stay away

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

MSFS is the first new sim from Microsoft that I haven’t switched to as soon as it came out and I’ve been using them since 1993. It’s so radically different from what preceded it I am reluctant to move away from what I’m familiar with.

Age might be a factor in this but only a small part.

• No ChasePlane equivalent
  • No third party weather support
  • No aircraft that I fly in P3D (bar the PMDG737 and I’m not buying that again)
  • Tons of work to configure GoFlight hardware.
  • No SimStarter
  • All existing airports purchased useless.

The first two are really important to me and virtually red lines. Then compare the relative stability of P3D to a simulator that appears to be in constant beta with frequent enforced updates.

I know many of you know I’ve said this before but until such time as it becomes really difficult to enjoy P3D I’ll be staying with it.

Finally, Concorde! That drives my choice of simulator and until FSL bring one to MSFS the decision to stay with P3D isn’t difficult at all.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

7 hours ago, David Vega said:

I have "moved to MSFS" but i still keep all my P3D stuff in backup disks. It served me well for a long long time and i like to keep up with the news and in all honesty hope it progresses enough to at least attract developers back again even though i don't see it happening.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

The main factors stopping me from purchasing MSFS at the moment are:-

• Cost - I would want lots of payware airports and the PMDG 737-600 to go with it
  • Not certain what the status of AI planes is
  • Some airports and regional enhancements that I want are not available yet
  • Dodgy internet connection

The first and last are the two big ones for me. A couple of engineers have visited to check the lines/router/connection because of frequent drop outs, but identifying the source of the problem is proving to be elusive. Without a stable internet connection, there is no point in having a flight simulator that requires it. As for the finances, I simply do not have much spare cash to start building from scratch again.

To be honest, I also want to see where Lockheed Martin go with P3Dv6 before I start making any significant decisions. Flight Unlimited Great Britain and Netherlands in P3Dv4 will have to suffice for now :smile:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

10 hours ago, David Vega said:

Like others have said, people have an interest in Flight Simming, not just MSFS.

Highlighting the reality of the situation in our hobby right now and wondering what LM's response is going to be, shouldn't be limited to only currently active P3D users.

I'd quite like to know two things:

1. Whether LM will make any significant changes to the base sim to take advantage of the latest available tech.
  2. Whether the several *terabytes* of addons I've purchased and downloaded for P3D will have any use in any updated or new version of the sim.

I think it's poor from LM that after this long period since the v5.3 release that there's not even an inkling as to what their next step is: point update or major version?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

In the last 40 minutes I've planned a flight from New Orleans to Monterrey. It was still dark for the current time so I switched to Saturday with a noon departure. ASP3D returns the weather for that time.

I'm now enroute having climbed through severe storms with many windshear warnings issued by the PMDG and the radar screen looking scary! See attached screenshot.

One other thing I should have mentioned was the amount of tweaking we do over the years. I have GSX Level 2 which allows custom jetways. There was a very helpful gentleman named Cartayna who provided many wonderful jetways for lots of 3rd party airports. Then there are all the SODE addons for other 3rd party airports. Together with AIG they transform P3D airports.

So it's not just the big things. It's all the small things that take time to customise. To replicate all those even if it were possible would involve a huge amount of user time.

And finally, Radar Contact v4. Still in use 15 years after I loaded it and still a leader. Could I really give up so much for better scenery? In short, no.

KMSY_MMMY.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

32 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Could I really give up so much for better scenery? In short, no.

Good thing that you do not need to that. MSFS has almost no barriers to entry. I have used P3D alongside MSFS for over a year. The only thing you really need is disk space...

Edited by GCBraun
  • Like 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

8 minutes ago, GCBraun said:
  34 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Could I really give up so much for better scenery? In short, no.

8 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

Good thing that you do not need to that. MSFS has almost no barriers to entry. I have used P3D alongside MSFS for over a year. The only thing you really need is disk space...

It's not just better scenery either, comments like that just divide the community even further, it's a new platform utilizing the latest technologies.  I personally feel a comment like this is far more accurate:

Could I really give up so much for a brand new platform based on the latest technology that still has shortcomings and missing elements when P3D has everything I need today? In short, no.

Does it change the fact that there is no reason for certain users to move and certain users who can't move, absolutely not but to dumb the only thing MSFS has down to "better scenery" is inaccurate, does a huge disservice to MSFS and comes across as dismissive of everything else MSFS offers.  (Just my perception)

Like I said, does it change your opinion on changing platforms of course not, does it give MSFS a bit more credit than the same argument FS9 users used against FSX which was that "all it had was better scenery," yes, yes it does.  

The fact is there is still certain functionality MSFS does not posses, certain add-ons still unavailable and certain scenarios that can't be re-created which is why I am in P3D as I type but that doesn't mean MSFS is just "better scenery" either...  I will leave it there. 

Hopefully LM says SOMETHING soon to give some direction, even if it is just fixing EA, cockpit lighting and volumetric clouds!  

Edited by psolk
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

10 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

It's a personal decision and one I have chewed over for a long time. There is also the gut feeling and that also holds me back. I wouldn't rule it out for VFR flights - it's ideal for that but I'm primarily an IFR pilot.

2 minutes ago, psolk said:

It's not just better scenery either, comments like that just divide the community even further, it's a new platform utilizing the latest technologies. ... but to dumb the only thing MSFS has down to "better scenery" is inaccurate, does a huge disservice to MSFS and comes across as dismissive of everything else MSFS offers.  (Just my perception)

The fact is there is still certain functionality MSFS does not posses, certain add-ons still unavailable and certain scenarios that can't be re-created which is why I am in P3D as I type but that doesn't mean MSFS is just "better scenery" either...  I will leave it there.  

I'm not aware the PMDG737 flies any better in MSFS than P3D but point me to the evidence and I'll read it.

"Certain functionality" includes some critical things previously mentioned. I'll add another. Any scenery or aircraft purchased via the Marketplace is encrypted making even AFCAD changes impossible. Why do they do that? It seems counter-productive.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather