Sign in to follow this  
rlaycock

Recomended weather Engine for P3D V4.5 or V5?

Hi all

I have been using FSX and P3D for many years however I never bothered with live weather.

I would like to give it a try.  I have Rex SkyForce 3D installed (also for several years) as I enjoy what it does to the clouds etc.  However I never tried the weather engine. 

I gave it a try the other day and to my horror it stopped P3D V4.5 form working at all

I had to reinstall P3D V4.5 to get it working again. To test my theory I again turned the weather engine in Rex SkyForce 3D on, with the same result (P3D V4.5 crashing to desktop after it tries to load a flight).

So after a 2nd full reinstall of P3D V4.5 as you can imagine I will not turn the weather engine on again.

However I would like to try live weather, so any recommendations for a SAFE weather engine ?

I am not bothered by the cloud shape and textures as I am happy with the REX SkyForce 3D cloud shape and textures.

Thanks in advance if you have any suggestions recommendations.

Best wishes.

Bob

Just now, rlaycock said:

However I would like to try live weather, so any recommendations for a SAFE weather engine

active sky

https://hifisimtech.com/asp3d/

• Like 5
  • Upvote 4

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Agreed, Active Sky is the best and most important. 

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

+1 for Active Sky ASP3D.

When I was running P3Dv4.5, I was using Rex Skyforce only for the cloud textures, but ASP3D was generating the live weather in the sim. This was pretty stable for me.

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

Same here, ActiveSky is superb...

CPU 9900K @5GHz, RTX3090 Suprim X, 32GB RAM @3600MHz, WIN 10, P3Dv5.3HF2, 4K 40“ Monitor @30Hz

Keep your Sky Force for the textures. ActiveSky works great with the REX textures.

• Upvote 1

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

I don’t think there’s a question that will lead to more or a consensus from the P3D community. 

Active Sky all the way. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'll be sneaky and tell you to get RealTurb (separate developer) along with it.  Means you will have wind interacting with terrain such as mechanical turbulence from hills etc. that you don't get just with ActiveSky.  You need to have Activesky for it to work.

4 hours ago, VHOJT said:

I'll be sneaky and tell you to get RealTurb (separate developer) along with it.  Means you will have wind interacting with terrain such as mechanical turbulence from hills etc. that you don't get just with ActiveSky.  You need to have Activesky for it to work.

I bought Realturb but have honestly seen no obvious signs of it doing anything. Maybe if you fly GA planes under VFR it does something but for 747s etc, another matter altogether.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

5 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

I bought Realturb but have honestly seen no obvious signs of it doing anything. Maybe if you fly GA planes under VFR it does something but for 747s etc, another matter altogether.

Hmm - I've noticed it many times on approach with the FSLA320/PMDG aircraft - one of my regular airports often has low-level turbulence in strong westerlies once you are under the hills to the west of the airport, and I notice this effect modelled quite well, whereas with Activesky alone, it wasn't there.

5 hours ago, VHOJT said:

Hmm - I've noticed it many times on approach with the FSLA320/PMDG aircraft - one of my regular airports often has low-level turbulence in strong westerlies once you are under the hills to the west of the airport, and I notice this effect modelled quite well, whereas with Activesky alone, it wasn't there.

TBH, I have not compared with and without. Maybe the cross-winds I experience are magnified by RealTurb, I can't say.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

This might be a bit of a niche question, but I'm wondering if anyone has tested realturb Asia with FlyTampa's Kai Tak? I believe one of the things that made the IGS 13 approach particularly challenging was the turbulence from the surrounding terrain as well as all the high-rise buildings, might be tempted to pick it up for a bit of added immersion.

PUT In the UK.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x & Radeon RX570 8GB. Prepar3Dv5.3 @1080p

spacer.png

By far, Active Sky !

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...