Sign in to follow this  
MarcG

MSFS: My 2 Year Review

23 minutes ago, MarcG said:

Right after the E3 trailer came out there was a lot of people making that exact assumption, that ‘Oh yeah, this better be supporting VR right from the get go.’ It honestly wasn’t our plan,

Yes, fine, but "not planning to support VR from the get go" does not mean "they were never going to include VR support at all"...

They only did not plan to have it ready at release day.

• Like 3

Soooo.....

I never understand the point of posts like this.

Many of your points are accurate but not sure what the need is for a person to put a review here.

We all have by now created our own thoughts as to the current state of the game.

What does this review actually accomplish????

• Like 1

That was an interesting read as I quit the sim back in early 2020 and am just now getting back into it. It’s interesting as it talks a lot about the journey over the last 2 years, perhaps more so than the state of the sim today. My take way is that I made a wise choice to give it time to mature. When I left, releases were typically one step forward and two back, and that’s probably being kind. 

Currently, SU9 seems pretty solid, and so far, SU10 seems ok, although it too has taken a step backwards in breaking HDR. Let’s hope they fix that and the DX12 issues. But what is in SU10 besides fixing DX12? Of course it makes the G1000NXi default in many aircraft but that’s just a bundling effort as the avionics were vastly improved months ago by Working Title. 

Im still left wondering what substantial outcomes the Asobo core team has created over the last two years. Scenery packs? Is that it? It seems like all their time has been spent trying to shoe-horn the sim to run on console hardware, and addressing all the issues that came out of that. 

We’re still forced to use add-ons to get any aspect of the sim up to some semblance of excellence. Even the scenery needs mods for harbours, marinas, and almost every airport as well as trees and seasons. Then you need mods for flight planning, ATC, AI traffic, ground services, planes, flight crew, missions/economy. Many aren’t even happy with the weather and feel the need to mod that. Nothing in the sim is good enough that a mod is not required - except perhaps the weather but that’s probably because there’s no API for weather 🙂

After 2 years, the number of substantial improvements Asobo has made to the core sim is… what? Nothing really. Working Title deserves due credit but Asobo has been chasing their tail for two years. It’s debatable if the sim looks as good as the promotions 2 years ago. 

Edited by Virtual-Chris
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, tpete61 said:

Soooo.....

Many of your points are accurate but not sure what the need is for a person to put a review here.

We all have by now created our own thoughts as to the current state of the game.

Well here's a couple of reasons;

1. Anyone can and if they want to they can write a review after a day, a month, a year, 2 years, 3 years....there's nothing to say people shouldn't post reviews.
  2. Initially this was for Steam as well, but their character limit buggered that up!

As for what it will accomplish, well that's more a personal thing, I've felt the need to write a review for a couple months and waited for the two year anniversary, so for me it accomplishes getting my thoughts down "on paper" so to speak. It will also serve as a comparison to what the 4th year anniversary will be like, would much of changed? has it got better or worse? has the glacial VR development improved?! etc etc

With a dynamically changing and constantly developed simulation such as this, the whole thing can move & alter so much over time that essentially a review 2 years ago is partially meaningless today, these up to date reviews therefore share the users point of view with the state of the Sim in the current time and yes, I shall do another one in a couple years time 🙂

• Like 2

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

17 minutes ago, tpete61 said:

Soooo.....

Because they promote interesting and valuable discussion.  That's what forums are for aren't they?

Edited by cianpars
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 5

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

12 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

That was an interesting read as I quit the sim back in early 2020 and am just now getting back into it. It’s interesting as it talks a lot about the journey over the last 2 years, perhaps more so than the state of the sim today. My take way is that I made a wise choice to give it time to mature. When I left, releases were typically one step forward and two back, and that’s probably being kind. 

Currently, SU9 seems pretty solid, and so far, SU10 seems ok, although it too has taken a step backwards in breaking HDR. Let’s hope they fix that and the DX12 issues. But what is in SU10 besides fixing DX12? Of course it makes the G1000NXi default in many aircraft but that’s just a bundling effort as the avionics were vastly improved months ago by Working Title. 

Im still left wondering what substantial outcomes the Asobo core team has created over the last two years. Scenery packs? Is that it? It seems like all their time has been spent trying to shoe-horn the sim to run on console hardware, and addressing all the issues that came out of that. 

We’re still forced to use add-ons to get any aspect of the sim up to some semblance of excellence. Even the scenery needs mods for harbours, marinas, and almost every airport as well as trees and seasons. Then you need mods for flight planning, ATC, AI traffic, ground services, planes, flight crew, missions/economy. Many aren’t even happy with the weather and feel the need to mod that. Nothing in the sim is good enough that a mod is not required - except perhaps the weather but that’s probably because there’s no API for weather 🙂

After 2 years, the number of substantial improvements Asobo has made to the core sim is… what? Nothing really. Working Title deserves due credit but Asobo has been chasing their tail for two years. It’s debatable if the sim looks as good as the promotions 2 years ago. 

movie-time-movie.gif

• Like 5

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

24 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Yeah, they didn’t do DX12, DLSS, new CFD simulation, enhance the SDK further, improve the core sim … etc. They were just playing Need For Speed on Xbox all the time.

• Like 8

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

I don't get why some people are so negative towards MSFS VR. Coming from XP11 VR, I miss only one thing: That in XP11 you really didn't need a mouse to do stuff, in some planes at least.

Besides that the VR implementation is amazing for something that they don't call completed IMHO. Stable, smooth and reliably switchable on and off (looking not only at XP11, but at you, DCS!) XP11 has a very good VR implementation, MSFS as well, even though very slightly behind.

Edited by rka
  • Like 3

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

But the reviews of FSX several years later...

Load flight, CTD due to OOM issues on final. Rinse & repeat. 😗

Edited by MDFlier

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

16 minutes ago, omarsmak30 said:

Yeah, they didn’t do DX12, DLSS, new CFD simulation, enhance the SDK further, improve the core sim … etc. They were just playing Need For Speed on Xbox all the time.

Well, DX12 and DLSS still aren’t working. Most third party dev shops complain their mods are limited by the SDK. And I’m not sure what they’ve done to improve the core sim or CFD… so that’s a pretty weak list of accomplishments for two years of a studios dev effort. 

Edit: I guess it’s hard to judge their accomplishments without knowing the size of the Asobo team. If it’s just a couple developers, I guess they’ve done what you’d expect. If it’s a bigger team than that, their productivity over two years seems rather poor to me. 

Edited by Virtual-Chris

55 minutes ago, tpete61 said:

Soooo.....

Initiate a discussion about things people find interesting? Unless you think a forum is not an appropriate place for such things...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cianpars said:

One of my biggest bugbears is that I can't move addons I am not using out of the community folder and onto a spare drive without getting the dreaded message that "your organization does not allow you to move files here". Is that type of security really necessary if you can't use msfs without being logged into your account anyway?

Use Addon Linker -- problem solved. With this freeware program, you place in Community only links to selected add-ons as needed, while the actual files can reside anywhere you want them. It also allows you to organize all your add-ons in a coherent way that makes handling them very easy. A tremendous tool!

Edited by cobalt
  • Like 1

Most of us who live in touch with reality and have been using MSFS since day one, are well aware of improvements and shortcoming that happens past two years.  Reviews like this; however, most likely clash of contradicting  opinions. So what is a point of them? Didn't we see enough of that? LOL

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

7 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

Initiate a discussion about things people find interesting? Unless you think a forum is not an appropriate place for such things...

Search this forum for other similar reviews. 99% of them ended up locked by moderator LOL I'm looking at my crystal ball and already foresee future of this one LOL

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

PSA: Guys, if you want to read one review about a certain topic once and not have people talk about stuff, what you need is a magazine, not a forum.

• Upvote 1

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉