Sign in to follow this  
ega

New Nvidia 4000 series graphics cards

I cannot see the point considering MSFS is essentially bound to a single CPU core.

My 3090 is already vastly under-utilised with a top end CPU. Even if the GPU can help the CPU out, I would think the core software would still need to be adapted for best use of this feature.

I would think most users would benefit from a new range of CPUs or MSFS to go multicore before we would see huge benefits from the GPU side.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

NVIdea is going thru a rough patch right now , the stock price end of last year was over $300 ; not it’s around $130 .  My guess 

would be they need to boost sales ASAP , lower prices but more volume of sales . Just my 2 cents , I’m happy with my 3060 .

Edited by johnbow72

1 hour ago, Alpine Scenery said:

It's possible the price will bounce up if short-term availability falls short of demand, but I doubt it will go up all that much in the long run. The demand isn't what it was in 2021. Since the shortage ended, a lot of people upgraded fairly recently, and most people playing anything except MSFS, those extra FPS aren't needed except to FPS chasers (there are quite a few FPS chasers though). I really cannot think of any places in MSFS where I fly that I really need the extra FPS, but I don't often fly into large cities, so haven't really tested the worst performing airports. Still, it's only going to be a handful of places.

I will probably just keep my 3080, if I return it, there is no guarantee the 4080's will actually be available on that date. I expect the first month at least to have poor availability, it's going to be popular at first.

Well, it will depend. In the GPU costs more than $2K to build, it can't stay below that for long before companies exit.

I doubt we will see scalping like we did in the 30/RDNA2 generation, but we may see retail prices climb for the top end parts. 

7 minutes ago, peppy197 said:

So IF I can sell my 3090 for $ 1500 I am getting a free upgrade to a 4090?

Any buyers?

You can buy brand new 3090's/3090tis for $1100 or under so good luck

• Upvote 1

Mark Roberts 

I9 13900k @ 5.7GHZ | 64GB DDR5 5600 Ram | ASUS Strix 4090 @ 3.0GHZ | ROG ASUS Hero Z790 | 2x 2TB M.2  | Lian LI Dynamic XL ROG Case | Hotas Warthog Joystick and Throttle, Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Corsair Nightblade | K95 RGB|  | LG 28" 4k, Dell 34" AW3420DW Ultrawide| Windows 10 Pro | MSFS2020 | Custom Water Loop |

All reports last 2 months say Nvidia overproduced series 4000 cards. The scalpers and miners won't be doing their thing nearly as much.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

My experience with a rtx 3080 is good, it is a very powerful GPU, but at the moment the real problem is a good CPU to fill it. A new rtx 4080/4090 isn't a real advantage with fps in FS20.

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

21 minutes ago, peppy197 said:

So IF I can sell my 3090 for $ 1500 I am getting a free upgrade to a 4090?

Any buyers?

if you can get the 4090 for 800 $ yes. please order one for me too. price for 3090 on ebay currently 800 and lower.

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

4 minutes ago, Fielder said:

All reports last 2 months say Nvidia overproduced series 4000 cards. The scalpers and miners won't be doing their thing nearly as much.

I hope that rings true.  I really would like them to try, and say buy 1000 cards (each scalper), and find out after spending nearly a million dollars, hoping to net 2 million, they never see an "Out of Stock" logo on a 4000 series card at the retailers....then come to the realization that they are now stuck selling them at below retail to get rid of them on eBay. 🤣

I could even imagine a scalper "guild" who band together and try to clear the stock off the retail shelves...and when it appears that no matter how many they buy, there is still plentiful stock, start texting each other in a panic:

"Hey John, I just spent my budget on 50 cards at Newegg....they HAVE to be close to running out...can you buy another 100 and see that that trips the "out of stock" ticker?" 

John: "Dude, I just bought another 500 yesterday, still waiting for the out or stock ticker....Dude, I think we're 5crewed!" 😭

Nothing would make me happier. 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

steve310002 posted this video in the 2nd message of this tread. At the 10:00 mark is shown how the new cards take over processing that used to be done on the cpu, thus reducing a cpu limited situation.

At 12:30 he runs MSFS on the new cards.

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

One thing that makes me smile is the fact that NVIDIA is officially publicly showing benchmarks on the Flight Simulator. I don't think I've ever seen this before. We're finally being included into the serious gaming platform family. 

Edited by Drumcode
  • Like 1

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Meanwhile, back Galilee, the Messiah speaks

• Upvote 1

Someone mentioned the scalpers already.  Remember what happened two years ago...you've all been forewarned. 

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

5 hours ago, steve310002 said:

Apparantly DLSS 3 uses some crazy new tech that makes MSFS silky smooth.

it remains to be seen how it gets implemented. many users incl. myself have disabled the current version DLSS v2 implementation because of the artefacts in glas panels it introduced. unless they can clearly improve on that in DLSS v3 it might not be the fps booster for everyone it claims to be. that is the first thing that needs testing. but even some 30-40% fps increase would be remarkable. time for that updated Nvidia DX12 and probably also a new  CPU early next year in order to enjoy the new RTX4000's full potential.

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.