Sign in to follow this  
Ricardo41

This Is, Hands Down, The Most Boring Video I've Ever Seen!

I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that I'm contemplating giving Bobby R. money for the (still underdeveloped) 737-800, to fill the gap in terms of having a long range biz jet option. 

In the course of doing due dilligence, I came across this video, which is basically an old-fashioned tutorial: clear, concise, no yelling, screaming, bling bling, and all the other useless stuff.

Just straight to the point, all killer no filler. 

As for the 737-800 - I haven't made up my mind yet, so I'm getting all these emails urging me to "complete your purchase". We'll see....😁

Edited by charliearon
embed video
  • Like 3

Jonathan Beckett makes great videos. I can't always confirm the accuracy of his tutorials as I'm a true ignoramus when it comes to aviation, but his series on the BAE-146 has been really helpful to me (along w/ the JustFlight channel) in learning my first airliner. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ricardo41 said:

As for the 737-800 - I haven't made up my mind yet, so I'm getting all these emails urging me to "complete your purchase". We'll see....😁

Prefer the 700 personally as the 800 looks a bit stretched to my eye. Depending on your definition of Long Range the 700/800 may be your only option as I haven't seen anything else coming through (other than the C700 refresh - is that mid range ??)...

Would definitely recommend though.

G

• Like 1

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

Mr. Beckett is definitely one of the better YT contributors. No waffle, no padding, no errs umms or ahhs. I've just watched his overview of the Black Bird ( Milviz ) PC-6, and it's given me just enough information to make a decision on purchasing it.

• Like 3

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

2 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that I'm contemplating giving Bobby R. money for the (still underdeveloped) 737-800, to fill the gap in terms of having a long range biz jet option. 

It is very good, no regrets 

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

I knew who posted this as soon as I saw the title. The king of sarcastic thread titles. 

• Like 1

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Just buy the -600.  It's basically a boeing 737 from pmdg with all the bells and whistles.  And it's way cheaper than any other variants.

I bought the 700 cause it was first, and won't buy any others.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I never was a big fan of the pmdg 737, I was always more for their Queen size. But with msfs I jumped in again on the -700 and currently having a lot of fun with the BBJ on a capture the flag tour through Africa. It is a dang rocket with only some pax and usual cargo. And I prefer the -700 for its look, too. The -800 looks sooooo meh 😄

Cheers T.

4 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

Just buy the -600.  It's basically a boeing 737 from pmdg with all the bells and whistles.  And it's way cheaper than any other variants.

I bought the 700 cause it was first, and won't buy any others.

@Ricardo41
This sounds like the best plan, especially if you're going to be using it as a BizJet.
Means it's only $35 you're giving to PMDG, rather than $70 (you sell out, you! 😄).

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

1 minute ago, F737MAX said:

@Ricardo41
This sounds like the best plan, especially if you're going to be using it as a BizJet.
Means it's only $35 you're giving to PMDG, rather than $70 (you sell out, you! 😄).

Yeah but the -600 is not giving you the extra 1000nm range the BBJ1 and BBJ2 offer. So if you want to go some longer range you will need at least the -700.

Cheers T.

Thanks for the advice, I think I might go for the 700. 

Yeah, this is a great tutorial video for getting you up and running, so to speak. Is it true to real world procedures down to the last t? No, but he says as much right at the beginning of the video. Candor is always appreciated.

1 hour ago, Kyuss said:

If you're mostly after the BBJ, the 700 version will probably get you in and out of a bit smaller airports than the 800. As for the under-developed part, I imagine you're referring to the lack of EFB still and while it would be nice, I find using VAS Airplane Toolbox on my actual tablet to work great.

Once installed and running ( The Vas toolbox) .. Perfection for these models .. the takeoff and landing numbers align very well and the simbrief and wx integration works perfectly for my needs.

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

The PMDG 737-600 has a few very annoying issues, FMS stops taking input, parking brake gets stuck still, fuel errors.
It is the buggiest of all the planes I own, and no it's not just me, found others having the same thing. 

You basically have to start a flight, enter everything in the FMS while on the ground, take off, land.
Stop the flight, restart. If you do things out of order at all, it usually causes a bug.

I suppose you can always restart the flight, but they seem to happen right when you want to take off or land.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

2 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

The PMDG 737-600 has a few very annoying issues, FMS stops taking input, parking brake gets stuck still, fuel errors.
It is the buggiest of all the planes I own, and no it's not just me, found others having the same thing. 

You basically have to start a flight, enter everything in the FMS while on the ground, take off, land.
Stop the flight, restart. If you do things out of order at all, it usually causes a bug.

I suppose none are game-breaking issues, but they seem to happen right when you want to take off or land.
It works about 75% of the time, or about 95% if you always do things in the same specific order.

That's odd, I've had none of those issues with perhaps 25 flights. I've flown flights back to back without restarting the sim and have NEVER entered a STAR or Approach on the ground, not once. Pretty much mess with the FMS all flight as well, had absolutely no issues.

Are you on the beta?

G

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

16 minutes ago, Gazzareth said:

That's odd, I've had none of those issues with perhaps 25 flights. I've flown flights back to back without restarting the sim and have NEVER entered a STAR or Approach on the ground, not once. Pretty much mess with the FMS all flight as well, had absolutely no issues.

Are you on the beta?

No, someone always says that, no matter what plane and no matter what issue. Maybe you are a very orderly person and don't realize it (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).
It seems to be dependent upon which controller mappings and settings are being used, but it is not something we should have to self-diagnose, needs to be fixed...

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/pmdg-737-for-msfs/209314-parking-brake-won’t-release#post209510
https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/pmdg-737-for-msfs/206614-impossible-to-interact-with-anything-in-the-flightdeck-of-the-737-600

And you can see in the release patches, they are aware of the issue, and they have been "trying" to patch it, but none of their updates get rid of it entirely, it can still come back.
https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/general-discussion-news-and-announcements/206425-29jul22-pmdg-737-600-is-released-and-some-other-news-bits-too

Out of all the other planes I own (and it's a lot), don't think I ever had any of these issues, so to me it's the buggiest.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Upvote 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram