Sign in to follow this  
Zangoose

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 - Announce Trailer

@Bob Scott 
Avsim is going to need a new sub-forum. 
This one might have just celebrated its 4th birthday, yet the announcement of its sibling's arrival has stolen its thunder!

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

The entitlement and complete lack of touch with reality that some people have never ceases to amaze me.

Name another software product that is not subscription based or supported by gimmicky microtransactions that has gotten the number of updates and amount of free content we've gotten for MSFS over the past 3 years. MSFS has been stable for quite some time now... you know MS doesn't have any obligation to continue updating anything, right?

I've always assumed "10 years of support" meant the servers would stay online for at least 10 years, but it seems some people think paying $60-$120 once for MSFS should entitle them to 10 years of free updates and added features. Meanwhile, these same people steer new users to the Steam version and away from the MSFS marketplace, ensuring MS doesn't get an extra penny for any of the additional work put into MSFS.

Fix the flight dynamics first? Fix the weather first? Fix ATC first? Do people realize that different teams work on different aspects of MSFS? What are the asset designers supposed to work on while the flight model gets worked on by another team? Free content? A plane you refuse to buy since it's not "study level"? Well, it looks like plenty of the team has been busy working toward 2024! Better this than being assigned to a different department or fired, wouldn't you say?

The people assuming existing addons aren't going to work or are going to require a bunch of work must have missed the Vision Jet in the trailer. Why aren't 3rd party developers talking? Probably because they're under NDA! For anyone that remembers the FS2002 to 2004 transition, old addons just worked. Many were not re-released as 2004 versions. I'm going to guess this will be similar to a sim update for 3rd party developers, and hopefully they'll get a bunch of additional flight parameters and options for both their existing products if they want to update and for new products.

The Xbox marketing person posting these Twitter updates doesn't know the difference between an upgrade and a new product in the eyes of a simmer. Our existing content, achievements, settings, etc will likely all be transferred to the new version. MS isn't going to abandon an already established ecosystem. What will happen to MSFS 2020? Probably the same thing as Windows 10... it will receive critical updates, but all new development effort will be put toward the new version.

I am guessing the folks at Asobo were either blindsided by this announcement or will have some new information for us once they're back in the office. It is a weekend, after all...

• Like 10
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Funky D said:

Fix the flight dynamics first? Fix the weather first? Fix ATC first?

Ermmmm the blunt and short answer yes. I mean it’s only a flight simulator after all. Imagine having the basics nailed down as a base. Wouldn’t that be something. 

if I purchased a car that struggled with 5th gear, but they kept releasing new things for it free of charge, I wouldn’t care less, as it still has the 5th gear issue. Fix the basics. 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Funky D said:

The entitlement and complete lack of touch with reality that some people have never ceases to amaze me.

Name another software product that is not subscription based or supported by gimmicky microtransactions that has gotten the number of updates and amount of free content we've gotten for MSFS over the past 3 years. MSFS has been stable for quite some time now... you know MS doesn't have any obligation to continue updating anything, right?

I've always assumed "10 years of support" meant the servers would stay online for at least 10 years, but it seems some people think paying $60-$120 once for MSFS should entitle them to 10 years of free updates and added features. Meanwhile, these same people steer new users to the Steam version and away from the MSFS marketplace, ensuring MS doesn't get an extra penny for any of the additional work put into MSFS.

Fix the flight dynamics first? Fix the weather first? Fix ATC first? Do people realize that different teams work on different aspects of MSFS? What are the asset designers supposed to work on while the flight model gets worked on by another team? Free content? A plane you refuse to buy since it's not "study level"? Well, it looks like plenty of the team has been busy working toward 2024! Better this than being assigned to a different department or fired, wouldn't you say?

The people assuming existing addons aren't going to work or are going to require a bunch of work must have missed the Vision Jet in the trailer. Why aren't 3rd party developers talking? Probably because they're under NDA! For anyone that remembers the FS2002 to 2004 transition, old addons just worked. Many were not re-released as 2004 versions. I'm going to guess this will be similar to a sim update for 3rd party developers, and hopefully they'll get a bunch of additional flight parameters and options for both their existing products if they want to update and for new products.

The Xbox marketing person posting these Twitter updates doesn't know the difference between an upgrade and a new product in the eyes of a simmer. Our existing content, achievements, settings, etc will likely all be transferred to the new version. MS isn't going to abandon an already established ecosystem. What will happen to MSFS 2020? Probably the same thing as Windows 10... it will receive critical updates, but all new development effort will be put toward the new version.

I am guessing the folks at Asobo were either blindsided by this announcement or will have some new information for us once they're back in the office. It is a weekend, after all...

To squash some things you have said. Its more the communication they would of known the trailer was coming out on a weekend but would rather keep everyone out the loop which is never a good thing. If anything a lot of developers have already posted they were not aware of this Inibuilds, Aerosoft and some others so think of how they are feeling especially with people constantly asking will xyz work.  A good point someone made maybe Asobo are creating aircrafts that people have created and it won't half be as good. It is all speculation. 

• Like 1

I don’t think most people are all that concerned about paying for the upgrade. The biggest concern it seems, by far, is backwards compatibility. If someone from MS can put that concern to bed, there will be a lot less anxiety. Speculation only creates more concern.

Cheers, Pete

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

3 minutes ago, Funky D said:

Asobo has 0% share in this announcement. Marketing is done 100% by MS. And it's done poorly.

Plus, I am not sure if people lost lack of reality if they invested several 1000s of €s into addons and expect them to remain compatible.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

21 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

It was right. And still is. Xbox controllers galore. Amongst other things. This is why the other sim never dies, no matter what happens, in the dust lies the other sim 

The other sim can be controlled with a controller too. In fact it has a version where you can control it by tilting your phone. You were wrong, my friend and that's actually a good thing.

On a related note, I find it hilarious that they're giving us better access to things real pilots actually do in real life but the sim is being labeled as gamey for it lol

• Like 7

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

7 minutes ago, PilotPete99 said:

I don’t think most people are all that concerned about paying for the upgrade. The biggest concern it seems, by far, is backwards compatibility. If someone from MS can put that concern to bed, there will be a lot less anxiety. Speculation only creates more concern.

Cheers, Pete

This!! 100% THIS! 

I will throw money all day at Asobo if they make me happy. 

• Like 2

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

1 minute ago, Krakin said:

I find it hilarious that they're giving us better access to things real pilots actually do in real life

Like talking to ATC? 😁😉

2 minutes ago, Krakin said:

In fact it has a version where you can control it by tilting your phone.

But that’s an entirely different version, it isn’t the same sim. 

The top and bottom of it, as I see it, and this is only my opinion, it’s a mess. They don’t seem to be able to finish a job. It’s all half baked. AtC, weather, AI, morphing scenery, DX12 in beta…. Etc etc etc 

• Like 1

Probably another way Microsoft has managed to shoot themselves in the foot. Nobody is going to buy anything from the Marketplace, and Developers probably won't provide any new add ons, until we all figure out what is going to happen. Will the add ons we have now even work, with the new version. Will we need to upgrade our PCs again, to get the performance we have now with MSFS 2020? If someone doesn't want to get the new version, will the version we have now still work, or will they pull the plug on it like they did with MS Flight? 

• Like 4

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

29 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Xbox controllers galore

And? Why do you care what peripheral people use? I can land a A320 with a X-Box controller just as well as my side stick.

In MSFS and P3D.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1

Just now, Tuskin38 said:

And? Why do you care what peripheral people use? I can land a A320 with a X-Box controller just as well as my side stick.

You’re missing the point. And I don’t care. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ianrivaldosmith said:

And I don’t care. 

Clearly you do since you responded and keep posting in this thread.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1