Sign in to follow this  
polosim

Mathijs Kok is Leaving Aerosoft

49 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

By the way, what happened to the Twin Otter?  A few months ago he said we would find out in a few weeks.

Judging by a conversation on the Aerosoft forum, I think the Twin Otter will be coming as a default aircraft in MS2024. Can't be certain, but that's the impression I got.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

5 hours ago, St Mawgan said:

Kok Simulations, here we come 😇

Might not be the best of names in the English-speaking world. Just a thought.

• Like 5

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I always was disappointed with the "that's good enough" approach that aerosoft had in the past.  Sometimes it seemed he would cut corners on products.  My preference would be for that attitude to not come to the MSFS project management side.  

• Like 2

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

7 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

:laugh:  It is definitely the case that I related his name to his attitude on a number of occasions! 

But enough of the MK bashing from me, he has gone now - it's done, and like I say, I wish him all the best.

Rob (but call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind).

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Personally, I always liked Mathijs. I haven't participated much on the Aerosoft forum since MSFS2020 came out, but it was a good community back in the FSX/P3D era. I wish him all the best.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

I have met Mathijs a couple of times and he is a nice guy.

Wishing him all the best 👍

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I know Mathijs had a lot for enemies, but he certainly was a distinct and committed character. I know, he formally was a mere employee, but certainly one of the intellectual heads of Aerosoft. 

I get poor feelings comparing Aerosoft to ORBX after John Venema left, from which point it went downhill, maybe not money-wise, but product-wise and even more user engagement-wise. And in a way, John was in the same way controversial, but certainly a committed and ingenious character, too.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 3

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

28 minutes ago, pmb said:

I know Mathijs had a lot for enemies, but he certainly was a distinct and committed character.   

I get poor feelings comparing Aerosoft to ORBX after John Venema left, from which point it went downhill, maybe not money-wise, but product-wise and even more user engagement-wise.  

Enemies is a big word 😉. I'd say Kok has annoyed a lot of his customers, over the years, with a well-known cumulative effect in the social networks. That being said, I agree that he has been among the few in the industry who have made Flight Simulation what it is now. One has to give him credit for that.   

Venema is, if I am not mistaken, still the majority owner of Orbx. So the company is now what he wants it to be even if he is not involved in day to day ops. MSFS (and FS.to...) has forced  upon Orbx a radical change of strategy (including subcontracting for MSFS) which, I suppose, has been engineered by him. The only point I do not understand is why some former star devs don't make addons for MSFS under their own names if they don't want to work for Orbx anymore (Harris, Marshall etc.). 

Edited by Dominique_K

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

4 hours ago, micstatic said:

I always was disappointed with the "that's good enough" approach that aerosoft had in the past.  Sometimes it seemed he would cut corners on products.  My preference would be for that attitude to not come to the MSFS project management side.  

That was always the biggest problem I had with him and Aerosoft products in general.  I wonder how much of that was his descision though vs Aerosoft management and their overall strategy.  It seems from his job title he was in charge of customer support and interaction.

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

Aerosoft needed a change. Good for Mr. Kok and Aerosoft and the best wishes on the new career.

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

MK is a living proof for unrestrainable passion is not allways beneficial for bringing up projects - I cannot imagine how he living the life of a pensioner now - but we all are replaced one day.

I wish him all the best.

12 hours ago, St Mawgan said:

Kok Simulations, here we come 😇

6 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

I, for one, am not typing that into Google!🤣

• Like 2

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

15 minutes ago, 109Sqn said:

I, for one, am not typing that into Google!🤣

You can do so without fear.
"Kok" is the Dutch equivalent of the English and then American surname "Cook".
For the record, I am also one who is quite happy with his direct approach, seen by some as rude.
In an international forum, leeway needs to be given to cultural differences.
That does not mean that I agree with everything that he has written, but the art of discussion is to respect the other's view.
Regrettably, in internet forums, that respect is often overwhelmed by the posters' apparent need to convert everyone else to their own view.
I wish Mathijs well in whatever he goes on to do.

Edited by Reader
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Abriael said:

Some people don't like Mathijs because he says it like it is, without sugar coating stuff. That's exactly (one of the reasons) why I like him.

I mean, saying something like 'there is no cabin because we are focusing on the fidelity of the cockpit' or 'there is only one engine type because people don't know what engines they have anyway' is just... nonsense.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Reader said:

the art of discussion is to respect the other's view.

We are not talking of some ethereal discussion but, very prosaically, of after-sale service.  

52 minutes ago, Reader said:

Regrettably, in internet forums, that respect is often overwhelmed by the posters' apparent need to convert everyone else to their own view.

<cough cough> 😇

Dominique