Sign in to follow this  
iliasr

SU 14 is ON

2 hours ago, F737MAX said:

So, I took the WBSim/JPLogistics C152 out for a quick spin at AGGB (Bellona/Anua Airport) late yesterday evening, as it was in the path of Tropical Cyclone Jasper to see what was being rendered.

What I noticed appears to be a massive improvement in live weather with regards to lightning, thunder and turbulence.
9 lightning strikes in a minute, audible thunderclaps, visibility regularly dropped to zero due to the heavy rain and even on the medium turbulence setting, the C152 was uncontrollable.

It might be because AGGB doesn't have a METAR station. I've found I see lightning more often with weather outside of METAR range than at airports with METAR reporting lightning.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Upvote 1

That spinning circle for me creates also stutters...

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

1 minute ago, Vali said:

That spinning circle for me creates also stutters...

the circle isn't causing the stutters, it's whatever it's loading.

Yes, correct, this is what I wanted to say.

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

32 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

Asobo doesn't control the servers.

Exactly my point. The whole analogy does not work.

Edited by Farlis

2 hours ago, 109Sqn said:

It shows I am installing 137.36 GB! 😯

It's as though I'm installing to the wrong location.

Looks like I was right - I have a new folder in the same location (WPSystem), alongside the original: S-1-5-21-2544692395-2274515681-3036655377-1002 and now S-1-5-21-2544692395-2274515681-3036655377-1003, and therefore will have two installations side-by-side once it has finished re-installing. I'm not sure how that has happened unless perhaps I pointed the installation one folder two high in the hierarchy?

Anyway, my temptation is just to allow it to complete, see if it runs ok and then simply delete the original, though I don't know what that might mess up. Presumably add-ons should work ok as they are in my AddonsLinker Community folder an my profile ought to be intact as it is still the same Windows account. Any obvious problems with that plan of action? Thoughts,  @Bert Pieke or anyone else?

Still only 24% into the 137.36GB installation...

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

2 hours ago, 109Sqn said:

I'm a bit concerned about my SU14 installation. First off, the MS Store part went fine, but on starting the sim, it wanted to install to the default location. Not the first time for that, so I pointed to the correct folder. Oddly, it said there was insufficient space even though I had 53GB free. 

I decided to move my entire Steam folder to another drive to free up space, which took over 90 minutes. Once completed, I re-launched MSFS and began the installation. It shows I am installing 137.36 GB! 😯

It's as though I'm installing to the wrong location. And I really don't want to download the whole sim from scratch. 🥴

Check online regarding moving your Steam folder. It's not as easy as just moving it or copy/cut paste. If you do, you end up with the problems that you seem to be experiencing sadly.

Cheers

Steve Hall

16 minutes ago, cowpatz said:

Check online regarding moving your Steam folder. It's not as easy as just moving it or copy/cut paste. If you do, you end up with the problems that you seem to be experiencing sadly.

Thanks but I did check beforehand. After moving it, I re-installed Steam and pointed to the new location. 

But that won't be linked to my MSFS issue as I have the MS Store version: 

First off, the MS Store part went fine

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

5 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

this old chestnut again.  

this is the same cop out answer that aerosoft and orbx's use when they release gash scenery, they blame it on the developers saying they are the publishers.

They made alot a money from the millions of sales of this game to us THE CUSTOMER, and yet they dont plough the money back into decent servers.

As with most things in my opinion its a quick cash grab,.

Ive said for a long time, the reason this community is plagued by half baked stuff is because the developers get away with releasing it without the community complainning or biting back,  this is exactly whats happened at aerosoft and orbxs, with them casually saying "not my problem guv" 

That's all well and good, except this finger pointing at MS vs Asobo is just a food fight that's happening within the user and forums community (MS or Asobo themselves are not out there finger pointing at each other).  Of course MS *and* Asobo are one entity as far as the responsibility for their product goes, and the face they present to us users, so whoever within MS and Asobo need to ensure the right server-side resources are in place to handle download activity during peak times. I very much doubt it's a case of "cash grab" or not putting money back into servers.. MS is loaded with cash and has a huge amount of server resources in its infrastructure. The problem here is they don't (at times) correctly predict usage and allocate the right server resources.

its of my opinion they were never going to spend big bucks on decent servers,  2 plus years on its still not a polished product,  yet they are spending time and effort on the next cash grab namely ms2024

They already have the big bucks and decent servers, no need to spend anything extra. Releasing a new version of the sim with significant enhancements four years after the initial release (while also keep updating v2020 and backporting some features even) is far from a cash grab, in my opinion. It's actually a cash dump on their part given that they doubled the team size from ~250 to ~500 to also work on v2024.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

@lwt1971,

so you honestly think they didnt tell microsoft what day the servers where going to get hammered.  come on.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Long quoted post removed

14ppkc-6.png

28 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

They already have the big bucks and decent servers, no need to spend anything extra.

How I'd love this to be true.
I just get the feeling that MSFS is considered resource heavy and doesn't make MS as much money as other gaming titles, therefore bandwidth is restricted to keep costs down.

Exhibit A
spacer.png
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/slow-download-speed-megathread/427731/504

Exhibit B
368bb39f26888e190dab1803d1800e9c80da7441
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/extremely-slow-download-speeds-in-content-manager/598421/135

Exhibit C
spacer.png
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/lod-distances/615918/31

Exhibit D
271cb57152f90c08ad8f382fa36ae029f173b49a
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/please-fix-photogrammetry-and-or-lod/279217/1751

Combined with some users complaining of significant performance loss since installing SU14, it's been a poor end to the year for the functionality of the base sim.

Edited by F737MAX
removal of unwanted emojis
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

24 minutes ago, fluffyflops said:

@lwt1971,

so you honestly think they didnt tell microsoft what day the servers where going to get hammered.  come on.

Umm no where did I say that Asobo didn't tell MS what day the servers were going to get hammered 🙂. The issue is either something technical or whatever that hampered with the download speeds until they fixed it later in the day ... OR ... MS/Asobo did not plan well enough ahead of time to prepare the server resources. The key point here is that's on both MS *and* Asobo, they are certainly not considering themselves as separate entities and blaming each other (and it's certainly pointless for us users to focus blame on one vs the other, from our perspective the blame is on both). We really can't say what is actually happening behind the scenes can we.

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS

Can anyone get into their control options without having to click the profile manager?

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

32 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

How I'd love this to be true.
I just get the feeling that MSFS is considered resource heavy and doesn't make MS as much money as other gaming titles, therefore bandwidth is restricted to keep costs down.

Well that is one possibility sure.. but does it make sense that this could really be the case? I just don't see any firm evidence of this, especially when MS is out there throwing more investment into MSFS (such as doubling the MSFS team size to ~500, etc). The kind of specifically bad download speeds experienced yesterday for SU14, has that been consistently seen for all the recent/previous SUs, WUs, CUs, AAUs?

• Like 1

Len