Sign in to follow this  
lwt1971

MSFS tops Navigraph 2023 survey results

25 minutes ago, David Mills said:

I've seen some comments that the Navigraph survey was biased in favor of MSFS. But when looking at a list of survey sponsors, Microsoft and Asobo were not among them. Laminar and Lockheed-Martin, however, were indeed sponsors of the survey.

Sponsoring a survey has nothing to do with making it biased or unbiased.  Sponsoring is advertising.  Nothing more.  Nothing less.  It also helps the company, financially, when the advertising dollars come in.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Greazer said:

There was an interview with Austin a while back, maybe 5 or 6 years or so. And he said words to the effect XP had killed off Microsoft Flight Sim.  Well how that came back to bite.

I would love to see that original quote.  Because that's one hell of a quote to paraphrase or misquote.

Edited by GoranM
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, David Mills said:

I've seen some comments that the Navigraph survey was biased in favor of MSFS. But when looking at a list of survey sponsors, Microsoft and Asobo were not among them. Laminar and Lockheed-Martin, however, were indeed sponsors of the survey.

Don't think the survey is/was bias. I wonder how far off that 2.6% of X-Box users are off. That seems very low!

• Like 5

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

6 minutes ago, Mike_CFII_MEL said:

Don't think the survey is/was bias.

It's just something people who have a hard time facing reality like to say. As you pointed out, barely anyone from the xbox crowd took the survey so things could have been way worse for the gap between MSFS and their favorie sims.

Edited by Krakin
  • Like 4

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

7 minutes ago, Mike_CFII_MEL said:

Don't think the survey is/was bias. I wonder how far off that 2.6% of X-Box users are off. That seems very low!

I agree. I doubt that many XBox users were even on the Navigraph mailing list. The number of MSFS users is certainly under-reported in the survey.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

I read one comment by an XP users (I think in this thread) giving instructions on how to vote more than once in the survey. So subtract 1 from the total of XP users. 

• Like 4

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

1 hour ago, David Mills said:

I don't think it's biased in any intentional way. The only problem with it, as NG themselves note, is that the sample is neither random nor broad, and it's self-selecting for participation.

So, whoever used the term "biased" is wrong. "Skewed" is a much more accurate term for it, and it's an entirely natural result of the above. (E.g., Steam stats are heavily skewed as well, and for similar reasons)

I mean just the fact that the RTX 4090 is the most popular video card in this sample should be proof enough that we're dealing with a group of 23,000 "Super Fans" rather than a general cross section of the tens of millions of flight simmers whose entire flight sim rig costs less than a 4090...

At the end of the day, NG states that they can't confirm their sample is representative of anything more than the 24,000 respondents and so won't draw conclusions about the larger population. Which is entirely correct and important to say. 

Doesn't decrease the value of the survey or anything within as long as WE don't get too carried away with projecting our own biases. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, David Mills said:

I read one comment by an XP users (I think in this thread) giving instructions on how to vote more than once in the survey. So subtract 1 from the total of XP users. 

Because of my day job, I know how the tech works. Doesn't mean I'd cheat the results, because unlike many, my sense of self worth has nothing to do with any of the nearly half dozen flight sims I use.

Edited by UrgentSiesta
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Greazer said:

What we know is if Goran starts posting in Microsoft forums then something is Bad news for X Plane.

I’m flattered you think I have that much influence, or you can gauge a products future based on what and where I post, but nah.

Still waiting on that quote from Austin.

Edited by GoranM

22 minutes ago, Greazer said:

What we know is if Goran starts posting in Microsoft forums then something is Bad news for X Plane.

A foresight is upon me. I'm betting on a Saab 340 coming to this sim in the not too distant future.😀

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

A foresight is upon me. I'm betting on a Saab 340 coming to this sim in the not too distant future.😀

Hey, it’s a 100% possibility. 

• Like 1

You know what's funny? Some of the more zealous XP users will roll their eyes and say, "yes, yes, we all know MSFS has the biggest market" but anytime evidence of that comes out, for some reason they have to come in and try to downplay it. What's the point if they are willing to acknowledge the bigger market share?

• Like 6

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.