July 7Jul 7 For those who, like me, want a quick and easy way to access the autopilot upper modes through a touchscreen, I verified last night that the GlassOut app works perfectly for this with the Taog tablet 'tPad'.
July 8Jul 8 On 7/5/2026 at 10:34 PM, sniper31 said:If you go to the PMS website then you can download the PMS GTN 750 for free. You only pay the $3-5 on the MSFS marketplace for the "free" version of the PMS. There is also a paid, pro version of the PMS on their website too, but you can get by with the free version.And yes @sd_flyer there IS an option to use the PMS or the TDS in the HH-65 as well.Do you mean in the marketplace, we pay for to get the free version? DA B760M PRO4 | i5-13400F | RTX 3060 12 GB | G.Skills Ripjaws 32GB | MSI MAG A550BN | Ace Power 1 TB NVMe | Cooler Master Hyper 212
July 8Jul 8 1 hour ago, History said:Do you mean in the marketplace, we pay for to get the free version?Yes.
July 8Jul 8 4 hours ago, History said: On 7/5/2026 at 11:34 AM, sniper31 said: If you go to the PMS website then you can download the PMS GTN 750 for free. You only pay the $3-5 on the MSFS marketplace for the "free" version of the PMS. There is also a paid, pro version of the PMS on their website too, but you can get by with the free version.And yes @sd_flyer there IS an option to use the PMS or the TDS in the HH-65 as well.Do you mean in the marketplace, we pay for to get the free version?Paying for 'ease of access/install' I suppose. The website was very straightforward, and manual installation took seconds, it also required no set up.The better question is, does PMS get any portion of the 5$ or does that all go to Microsoft. If I package and sell someone's free content, I get in trouble, but when Microsoft resells a free download, I guess that's kosher? I have to assume PMS knows and made a deal.Taog could update their manual section about the GPS to include a note about the free version on the PMS website however. I think that would go a long way. I wonder, if its free anyway, why it couldn't be included in the Dolphin download in the first place? MSI Aegis R | Intel i7-14700F | NVIDIA RTX 4060 | 1TB NVMe | 32GB RAM | Windows 11
July 8Jul 8 3 hours ago, Kristofski said:The better question is, does PMS get any portion of the 5$ or does that all go to Microsoft. If I package and sell someone's free content, I get in trouble, but when Microsoft resells a free download, I guess that's kosher? I have to assume PMS knows and made a deal.Taog could update their manual section about the GPS to include a note about the free version on the PMS website however. I think that would go a long way. I wonder, if its free anyway, why it couldn't be included in the Dolphin download in the first place?There's nothing sneaky going on here; Hangar Studio 713 is the marketplace publisher for the PMS GTN 750, with the permission of PMS, and PMS is presumably getting paid.It wouldn't make sense to package the 750 with the Dolphin because the 750 is constantly getting updated. This is why buying in the marketplace is the easiest method of managing it, as it will automatically update without you having to re-download it from the PMS website every single time. For me this was more than worth the five dollars that it cost.
July 9Jul 9 I finally bought this and just starting to learn them. Very impressive! I'm glad I took the time to watch some videos before just jumping in. I think I have the controls set up fairly well. One thing I'm struggling with is getting the helicopter trimmed out. I hold the trim release down while getting the helicopter flying level, then let it go. I'm trying to just fly level (no autopilot) and it just won't. I use the beep trim to get the nose down and it just won't. If I let go of the stick, the nose jumps and it pulls hard left. If I keep pressure on the stick, it can fly straight, but if I so much as let go pressure, it is gone. I use the custom beep trim but it just doesn't seem to help. I try and reduce collective and the nose drops a bit but never settles.I'm sure I have everything set up, and I have the centering joystick clicked in options. (I have the TM Airbus stick).I'm sure there's something I'm not fully understanding. My thinking is (and based on what videos say), hold down the trim button as I take off and climb. Get the heli in a stable place, release the button and let the helicopter settle. It never really does though. It isn't like I'm totally out of control, but I'm always +/- 300 feet and always struggling to hold. I feel like I'm missing something. Not really sure where the trim release comes in vs the beep trim (I'm used to trimming a helicopter with the up/down/left/right trim). I feel like it is human error and I'm fighting some sort of automation, but just not sure. Maybe I need more gentle collective movements to get it level? I don't have the collective beep mapped yet (wrestling with 2024 keybinds is not fun). Edited July 9Jul 9 by kerosene31 ------------------------- Craig from KBUF
July 9Jul 9 @kerosene31 Welcome to the Dauphin/Dolphin family 😊 It sounds like you are on the right path. These birds are tricky, but the more you fly them the more the SAS/ASE and AFCS systems start to make sense. That said, since you are using a spring centering flight stick (I do as well), try turning OFF the Fly Through mode on the tablet. It has been suggested that that can help the issue you are having. That is what I do, and I am not having the problem you are having (I was though, when I first started learning these babies). Also, when you get ready to release the force trim button that you are holding down, try to anticipate that the SAS/ASE system will want to make adjustments to hold the helicopter on the attitude you got it to using your trim and such. If you are just letting go of the stick, and hoping the system will smooth everything out, then try to ease off the stick instead. Also, this very topic has been discussed A LOT on the Taog discord, and when the next update gets pushed Taog has said there will be a new setting in the tablet to adjust the severity or weakness of the effects when letting go of force trim. So, that may very much help with this issue too, once that update comes out. Suffice it to say, Taog is aware and working on tweaking it.Hope that gives you some insight. 😊 AMD Ryzen 9900X3D & ASUS X870E Gaming Plus MB, w/64 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, ASUS TUF RTX 5090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, HAVN Case, Virpil VPC Panels 2 and 3, TM F/A 18 Stick on Virpil Base, Virpil Rotor TCS Plus w/ Hawk-60 Collective grip, Virpil MongoosTM Throttle, TM TPR Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11
July 9Jul 9 38 minutes ago, kerosene31 said:One thing I'm struggling with is getting the helicopter trimmed out. I hold the trim release down while getting the helicopter flying level, then let it go.Which one are you trying to tackle, the AS365 or the HH-65? They behave differently, the HH-65 having the ability to take collective control from you, where the AS365 requires you to handle the collective as the autopilot makes changes. That's more confusing to me, so I've stuck with the HH-65 as it also has the hover modes.Force Trim Release takes a bit to get used to, the main thing that helped me is to tell yourself to press and hold the button for EVERY movement you make on the cyclic. The only time the button should be released is when you are not making cyclic movements. 45 minutes ago, kerosene31 said:hold down the trim button as I take off and climb. Get the heli in a stable place, release the button and let the helicopter settle.Try not releasing until after the helicopter has settled into the attitude you want. I'm not using a spring centered stick however, so I'm not sure about Fly-Through. I'd try disabling that as mentioned above.50 minutes ago, kerosene31 said:Maybe I need more gentle collective movements to get it level? I don't have the collective beep mapped yet (wrestling with 2024 keybinds is not fun).If Altitude is the main problem for you and not Attitude, keep in mind, that the SAS will not hold altitude for you at all, unless you are in the HH-65 and have T-Hov or Hov Aug modes active. Those modes have conditions as well, Hov Aug is useful for maintaining radar altitude but will let you drift around and not hold any position. T-Hov works to bring airspeed to 0 so you turn it on to help stabilize. It also holds altitude well. I use T-Hov significantly more than Hov-Aug. You do not need collective beep IMO - its actually too jerky at the moment, as the steps are too small, 3ft each, and can easily send you into the ground if you step down too quickly. Instead, for the HH-65, try Collective Sync; with T-Hov or Hov aug on, you can hold C-Sync to allow you control over the collective again, where you can raise or lower it to adjust height, then release C-Sync button to maintain there. MSI Aegis R | Intel i7-14700F | NVIDIA RTX 4060 | 1TB NVMe | 32GB RAM | Windows 11
July 9Jul 9 1 hour ago, sniper31 said:@kerosene31 Also, this very topic has been discussed A LOT on the Taog discord, and when the next update gets pushed Taog has said there will be a new setting in the tablet to adjust the severity or weakness of the effects when letting go of force trim. So, that may very much help with this issue too, once that update comes out. Suffice it to say, Taog is aware and working on tweaking it.Hope that gives you some insight. 😊Yes thanks! That adjustment to the trim might be what I need. It feels like it kind of works but still needs more. If I hold the stick a bit down and right it seems to fly just fine. This is the HH65 for now. I think I have fly through on for now, maybe I'll turn that off. ------------------------- Craig from KBUF
July 9Jul 9 2 hours ago, kerosene31 said:I finally bought this and just starting to learn them. Very impressive! I'm glad I took the time to watch some videos before just jumping in. I think I have the controls set up fairly well. One thing I'm struggling with is getting the helicopter trimmed out. I hold the trim release down while getting the helicopter flying level, then let it go. I'm trying to just fly level (no autopilot) and it just won't. I use the beep trim to get the nose down and it just won't. If I let go of the stick, the nose jumps and it pulls hard left. If I keep pressure on the stick, it can fly straight, but if I so much as let go pressure, it is gone. I use the custom beep trim but it just doesn't seem to help. I try and reduce collective and the nose drops a bit but never settles.I'm sure I have everything set up, and I have the centering joystick clicked in options. (I have the TM Airbus stick).I'm sure there's something I'm not fully understanding. My thinking is (and based on what videos say), hold down the trim button as I take off and climb. Get the heli in a stable place, release the button and let the helicopter settle. It never really does though. It isn't like I'm totally out of control, but I'm always +/- 300 feet and always struggling to hold. I feel like I'm missing something. Not really sure where the trim release comes in vs the beep trim (I'm used to trimming a helicopter with the up/down/left/right trim). I feel like it is human error and I'm fighting some sort of automation, but just not sure. Maybe I need more gentle collective movements to get it level? I don't have the collective beep mapped yet (wrestling with 2024 keybinds is not fun).What you’re describing sounds to me like you don’t have the ASE enabled at all, and/or your Trim Release states aren’t mapped correctly.if it were, you’d have rather the opposite problems…?unfortunately, Taog’s have chosen a trim control scheme that is entirely custom and distinct from all other helos in the sim (and tbh from most others in flight sim). Assignments are not intuitive and really require one to RTFM, sadlyThe dev team said they did this to closely align the trim controls with how the real helo runs, but it does seem to have ignored the reality of spring centered joysticks as a resultThat said, the Trim Release and Beep Trims do work “properly” (if jerkily)My reco is to watch Matt Crawfords YouTube videos on assigning trim controls and then using them.He starts with the Dauphin and lays the ground work in the first video, then builds on that with the Dolphin in the second.Like you, my preference is the Dolphin (because I see them every weekend 😎), but do start with Matt’s Dauphin video to get that good base. If nothing else, it’ll set you up well to fly the Special Air Service version 😉FWIW, note that the trim assignments require not only key assignments, but also Repeat and Set On Release variables as wellIt’s all laid out in the KeyBinds Guide pdf. And again, it’s sadly unintuitiveAll that said, now that I’ve slogged through the setup, I’m glad I have the addon!The trim and mode transitions need work, but it does seem like Taogs are bowing to pressure to accommodate those of us without dedicated helo controls 😁 Edited July 9Jul 9 by UrgentSiesta
July 9Jul 9 I do have ASE on and the trim mapped according to the instructions (the press and release, one repeats one doesn't). I actually watched the videos before even buying to be sure. I built out a completely new dedicated control scheme for the specific aircraft commands (the ones that start "as65"). It is like it "almost" works, I can release most of the pressure. It comes close to centering as expected, but just needs that extra bit. I might even need a little more null zone or something, as it thinks it is centered but it is not. I have a feeling the patch will help, that sounds like what I'm seeing. There's only so much I can do with a $100 TM Airbus stick too. ------------------------- Craig from KBUF
July 9Jul 9 4 minutes ago, kerosene31 said:There's only so much I can do with a $100 TM Airbus stick too.You are probably on to something there...I am using a Virpil flight stick, which has much more fidelity than the TM Airbus stick (I have one of those two, so I can justifiably compare the two 😉). That could be a factor for sure. AMD Ryzen 9900X3D & ASUS X870E Gaming Plus MB, w/64 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, ASUS TUF RTX 5090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, HAVN Case, Virpil VPC Panels 2 and 3, TM F/A 18 Stick on Virpil Base, Virpil Rotor TCS Plus w/ Hawk-60 Collective grip, Virpil MongoosTM Throttle, TM TPR Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11
July 9Jul 9 11 minutes ago, kerosene31 said:There's only so much I can do with a $100 TM Airbus stick too.I feel this - I very recently replaced my T-flight HOTAS with a Gladiator EVO, no springs installed, and a 3d printed Desktop Collective (you can search for it on Etsy - Really good value IMO) and the difference now is night and day, I'm thrilled to be able to actually hover now in the default H125 and the other stock helos, as well as having a much better time in the MH-60 and the Dolphin. You get so much more fine control, and this specific setup didn't break the bank either (200ish for the EVO, 180 for the collective, CAD).On the T-Flight, which was spring centered, I did use a dead-zone and something like -30 sensitivity. You should have your spring center as loose as you can set it too, if its adjustable for that. One thing that I noticed with the spring centered sticks - its not helpful to think that the centered position = level attitude (even after trimming), what is level changes constantly with wind and weights, as fuel decreases for example, your centre of gravity changes slightly etc. Its a constant balancing act, even with the AFCS and SAS helping. Actually now that I think about it - do you have any assists on? There's a Cyclic assist option that helps with the translational drift that naturally occurs - check if that's turned on, and if not, maybe try turning it on and see if that helps? Translational drift does still happen in the Dolphin, IIRC you'd be holding slightly back and right pressure as you pick up to counteract it MSI Aegis R | Intel i7-14700F | NVIDIA RTX 4060 | 1TB NVMe | 32GB RAM | Windows 11
July 9Jul 9 No assists on for sure, but I'll double check just in case. I can handle the M500C after a lot of practice, so it works but things can be super sensitive. It kind of amazes me how little travel joysticks have. I've been looking for a good mid level joystick that will cover helis and regular flying. Of course cost is part of it, but desk space too. I need something that I can move out of the way in a moment's notice since the home cockpit is also work some of the time. I never seem to find anything mid level that would work for everything (I don't mind flying GA planes with a right hand flight stick even though that's not quite how it really works lol). The TM Airbus stick is actually pretty decent bang for the buck ------------------------- Craig from KBUF
July 9Jul 9 22 minutes ago, kerosene31 said:I never seem to find anything mid level that would work for everything (I don't mind flying GA planes with a right hand flight stick even though that's not quite how it really works lol). The TM Airbus stick is actually pretty decent bang for the buckI can agree, the TM Airbus stick is not bad for flying GA planes and such. It's just not ideal for helo flying. But you have to go with what you can until you can figure out what would work better and what you are willing to pay for. Edited July 9Jul 9 by sniper31 AMD Ryzen 9900X3D & ASUS X870E Gaming Plus MB, w/64 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, ASUS TUF RTX 5090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, HAVN Case, Virpil VPC Panels 2 and 3, TM F/A 18 Stick on Virpil Base, Virpil Rotor TCS Plus w/ Hawk-60 Collective grip, Virpil MongoosTM Throttle, TM TPR Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11
Create an account or sign in to comment