Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The AVSIM Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Taog AS365 N2 Dauphin / HH-65 Dolphin

Featured Replies

1 hour ago, kerosene31 said:

I do have ASE on and the trim mapped according to the instructions (the press and release, one repeats one doesn't). I actually watched the videos before even buying to be sure. I built out a completely new dedicated control scheme for the specific aircraft commands (the ones that start "as65").

It is like it "almost" works, I can release most of the pressure. It comes close to centering as expected, but just needs that extra bit. I might even need a little more null zone or something, as it thinks it is centered but it is not. I have a feeling the patch will help, that sounds like what I'm seeing. There's only so much I can do with a $100 TM Airbus stick too.

Huh. Weird…

I can fly completely hands off with ASE on and TR engaged, no AP modes on.

As Sniper relates, the helo is still affected by wind and slight trim imperfections, but it indeed works.

While the TM Airbus isn’t Tier 1, it’s still a pretty good stick. There’s an IRL US Army pilot who flew DCS helos with one for quite awhile.

All this to say that I still feel like there’s a mis-map or double bind/conflict in your controls.

Have you installed the Control Viewer addon from FlightSim .to?

Very helpful For comparing what your stick is doing vs what the sim controls are doing.

  • Replies 260
  • Views 18.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Saintmike5
    Saintmike5

    Finally found the culprit that was causing my issues! There's a Marketplace addon called Airshow Assistant that I've been using for a while, but it seems to cause a conflict with the AS365 for some re

  • UrgentSiesta
    UrgentSiesta

    The Dauphin is for commuting to work. The Hughes is for weekend road trips. 😎

  • UrgentSiesta
    UrgentSiesta

    Some light reading for those who like to do it By The Book (578 pp): Google for the document name "CGTO 1H-65C-1" Unfortunately, there isn't one for the B model that I've found yet, but this is a lot

I second that control viewer from Flightsim.To....I believe it's called Input Viewer. In any case, a very useful tool when dealing with control issues or concerns.

Input Viewer - Utilities for MSFS | Flightsim.to

AMD Ryzen 9900X3D & ASUS X870E Gaming Plus MB, w/64 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, ASUS TUF RTX 5090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, HAVN Case, Virpil VPC Panels 2 and 3, TM F/A 18 Stick on Virpil Base, Virpil Rotor TCS Plus w/ Hawk-60 Collective grip, Virpil MongoosTM Throttle, TM TPR Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

 

 

Some progress! I unmapped and remapped the trim release exactly as before and... it just works now. I swear I had it set exactly as in the manual. I think what happened is that my stick moved a bit, and it was button 3 + something else (doh!). I re-did it and it snaps exactly as expected. Hard to get used to, but working!

I had input viewer installed but never thought to check. 🫣

One thing I am noticing is that the beep trim seems to do nothing. Not sure if the automation turns that off completely or what, but it doesn't do anything. This was part of my problem, I was trimming a bit to fine tune it and it is doing nothing. I even click the button on the actual in game joystick for beep trim and nothing, so it isn't a mapping in this case. I think I can just use the other trim now that it works.

My thinking would be to make small adjustments to the trim with the beep trim. I might be doing something wrong though.

Anyway thanks again for all the help. I try to find stuff on their official Discord but those are hard to search.

Edited by kerosene31

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

14 minutes ago, kerosene31 said:

Some progress! I unmapped and remapped the trim release exactly as before and... it just works now. I swear I had it set exactly as in the manual. I think what happened is that my stick moved a bit, and it was button 3 + something else (doh!). I re-did it and it snaps exactly as expected. Hard to get used to, but working!

I had input viewer installed but never thought to check. 🫣

One thing I am noticing is that the beep trim seems to do nothing. Not sure if the automation turns that off completely or what, but it doesn't do anything. This was part of my problem, I was trimming a bit to fine tune it and it is doing nothing. I even click the button on the actual in game joystick for beep trim and nothing, so it isn't a mapping in this case. I think I can just use the other trim now that it works.

My thinking would be to make small adjustments to the trim with the beep trim. I might be doing something wrong though.

Anyway thanks again for all the help. I try to find stuff on their official Discord but those are hard to search.

That’s great to hear!

I was reading thru their Discord just to see what’s up and Picked up some good info.

A. Trimming is obviously a big issue for a bunch of people, so they have already finished coding Some adjustments and are still in the process of further refinement.

Abrupt jerkiness when transitioning between or into/out of modes has also gotten a lot of love, and even some user-settable timings and such 🎉

I get the feeling some of them will release in the next few days.

There’s an IRL 365 pilot in there named Shadow Six. He’s sharing good info, so it’s worth it to follow his stuff.

One thing he shared is that the helo flight adjustments are most commonly performed via Beep Trim, especially at speeds above 60kts or so.

If it’s a large change, then Fly Through is used, but he seems to downplay that as being less used. I presume he’s likely mostly using AP for major changes.

Force Trim Release is really only Used at low speeds where the attitude changes tend to be larger / acute.

Anyhow, they’re clearly working hard and taking all the feedback very seriously.

Good times!

11 hours ago, kerosene31 said:

One thing I am noticing is that the beep trim seems to do nothing. Not sure if the automation turns that off completely or what, but it doesn't do anything. This was part of my problem, I was trimming a bit to fine tune it and it is doing nothing. I even click the button on the actual in game joystick for beep trim and nothing, so it isn't a mapping in this case.

So I too noticed this when I mapped it out and was trying, for example, to trim up/forward to increase speed - it doesn't work that way on its own, as the SAS/AFCS is always trimming for you anyway. The way I found it works, after seeing Matt do it on one of the tutorial videos, is that it needs one of the AP modes to be on, like IAS hold - you get up to a steady cruise at say 80kts, level off, all using TR. As you activate IAS hold, you should stay at the same airspeed and roughly the same altitude. Then you want to go faster, so you use Beep Trim up to adjust the speed that way. You'll lose altitude as you gain speed, so you also you add collective. OR you hit Alt hold as well as IAS hold (Also for convivence, IAS-VS hold does the same thing if your VS was 0 when you turned it on). Now you want to speed up, but wont lose altitude, as the AP will increase collective for you automatically while lowering the nose to increase speed.

I also wouldn't use beep trim to make left/right adjustments if you find yourself drifting off track - the Heading or Nav holds work very well for that. I find myself using heading hold quite a bit while cruising.

In T-Hov mode, the FD slew replaces beep trim to position you, and can also be unresponsive at times. This one is usually a wind factor, and you really need to look at the HOV display to see the crosshairs that tell you what the slew is doing. It can very much feel like its not doing anything when you ask it to, but you can verify the commands are working from that display. If the FD slew isnt enough to overcome the wind, turn into it, or use TR to move around. One thing I was practicing last night was 20ft hovers without T-Hov or Hov Aug turned on, and I noticed that even with fly through off, you can move the cyclic a little with out TR and get small responses, which is actually helpful when balancing in hover. TR can be too much movement sometimes in a low hover.

MSI Aegis R | Intel i7-14700F | NVIDIA RTX 4060 | 1TB NVMe | 32GB RAM | Windows 11

According to their discord, patch might be out Monday (MS doesn't deploy stuff over the weekend) and it will be substantial.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Looking to learn rotative wings. Is this product the best helicopter available for MSFS?

1 hour ago, phbordini said:

Looking to learn rotative wings. Is this product the best helicopter available for MSFS?

If you’re just starting out, no need to spend money.

Start with the Default Cabri G2. It’s Asobo’s Reference Model and flies very well - a “pure” helo experience 👍

if you really want payware, I’d start with Taogs OH-6. Also a pure helo experience.

The Dauphin/Dolphin is great, but its need for standard SAS/AFCS makes things overly complicated and frustrating.

Once you’re proficient with the Cabri or OH-6, yeah - the Dauphin is great.

Yeah you definitely don't want to start with a complex helicopter. Start with something simple that will help you learn the basics. That would be like instead of learning to walk, to enter a track and field competition.

The #1 thing I recommend to people wanting to learn helicopters is check out Youtube. There's lots of great MSFS specific stuff but also a ton of real world heli lessons.

I made the mistake of jumping right in and just assuming that my airplane knowledge and controls would carry over. I didn't understand a single thing about how a helicopter works.

Edited by kerosene31

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

57 minutes ago, kerosene31 said:

Yeah you definitely don't want to start with a complex helicopter. Start with something simple that will help you learn the basics. That would be like instead of learning to walk, to enter a track and field competition.

The #1 thing I recommend to people wanting to learn helicopters is check out Youtube. There's lots of great MSFS specific stuff but also a ton of real world heli lessons.

I made the mistake of jumping right in and just assuming that my airplane knowledge and controls would carry over. I didn't understand a single thing about how a helicopter works.

Ain’t learning to hover taxi a right PITA. 😂

My biggest struggle was learning to start slowing down waaay before they do in the movies 😁🤙

I'm trying to learn the Dauphin, and making some progress, but I have a question about the Beep Trim in SAS mode. According to the manual (section 13.3.3), when ASE is de-selected, either by selecting SAS or turning the TRIM FEEL CYC switch off, the Beep Trim should then act as a conventional trim. I assumed this meant the Beep Trim would then act as corrective trimming, like in the Hughes 500, to counteract the effect a spring loaded joy stick. But when I try using SAS or turn the TFC switch off, the Beep Trim no longer works. I can still manually fly the Dauphin, but I have to hold the stick (cyclic) against the springs, which gets old really fast. Am I missing something?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but as said, still very much learning.

Edited by BBCM

2 hours ago, BBCM said:

I'm trying to learn the Dauphin, and making some progress, but I have a question about the Beep Trim in SAS mode. According to the manual (section 13.3.3), when ASE is de-selected, either by selecting SAS or turning the TRIM FEEL CYC switch off, the Beep Trim should then act as a conventional trim. I assumed this meant the Beep Trim would then act as corrective trimming, like in the Hughes 500, to counteract the effect a spring loaded joy stick. But when I try using SAS or turn the TFC switch off, the Beep Trim no longer works. I can still manually fly the Dauphin, but I have to hold the stick (cyclic) against the springs, which gets old really fast. Am I missing something?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but as said, still very much learning.

You might want to wait for the big patch, which is supposed to be out as soon as they can get it on the marketplace. They are hoping Monday but who knows. Only downside of releasing on the marketplace only.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

22 hours ago, phbordini said:

Looking to learn rotative wings. Is this product the best helicopter available for MSFS?

5-6.jpg

I would start with something bare metal without any automation, like the digital aeronautics Mi-2. Its a joy to fly. Just the basics. After that, then yes, The dauphin for sure

Juan Ramos
 

3 minutes ago, xender said:

I would start with something bare metal without any automation, like the digital aeronautics Mi-2. Its a joy to fly. Just the basics. After that, then yes, The dauphin for sure

It has no sas or AFCS? I was assuming it was like the Mi-8, which has quite a nice set of automation.

2 hours ago, UrgentSiesta said:

It has no sas or AFCS? I was assuming it was like the Mi-8, which has quite a nice set of automation.

The Mi-2 has NO automation whatsoever. It flies like a wet sponge, but in a good way. A handful to control, but in much different way than the Dauphin/Dolphin. I wasn't going to get the Mi-2 but then I watched a few videos and they had a sale, so I bit. Glad I did. Lots and lots of switches in the Mi-2, and even with the English cockpit not everything is in English. Which is cool with me....having seen the inside of a Russian exported Mi-6 Hip that my unit captured in Iraq during Desert Storm, the cockpit was labeled partly in English and partly in Russian (or maybe Polish, not sure). Overall, I am really enjoying learning to fly this tub, but you have to be predictive with the controls because of wet sponge flying...lol.

AMD Ryzen 9900X3D & ASUS X870E Gaming Plus MB, w/64 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, ASUS TUF RTX 5090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, HAVN Case, Virpil VPC Panels 2 and 3, TM F/A 18 Stick on Virpil Base, Virpil Rotor TCS Plus w/ Hawk-60 Collective grip, Virpil MongoosTM Throttle, TM TPR Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

 

 

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.