Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

My version on how to get smooth and stutter free P3D 3.1

First, this is what works for me on a 4790k@4.6, GTX 780 with 6GB.

Type of flying, PMDG NG/777, Q400.

Addons always used.

ASN

TrackIR

EZCA

I always fly into and out of pay-ware airports.

ORBX=Global, Vector, OLC. Nothing else.

Lets Start with P3D Settings.

The only thing to note here is I now have water set to OFF(you might like it you might not? try it and see! If your flying over land you don't need anything else really!)

S1.jpg

S2.jpg

S3.jpg

S4.jpg

S5.jpg

Vector uses over 300mb of VAS and for the type of flying I do I only have the below turned ON and it saves VAS and stutters etc.

v1.jpg

v2.jpg

Now this is how I make P3D 3.1 run as smooth as can be from me.

There is a guy called Steve W ( Steve Waite) and if you want to know about Affinity masks then all you need to know is what he says.

With my CPU and with HT ON I now use AM 116 (AM is the only config tweak I use now)

Open Task Manager Ctrl+Alt+Delete Then press Task Manager

TaskManager.jpg

Have a look down the list for P3D, right click and click on "Set Affinity" and you will see this, this shows what cores P3D is going to use.

3.1P3D.jpg

One you have P3D running press Alt+Enter (not full screen) then open Task Manager.

As before scroll down and fine TrackIR, I want this as smooth as possible (30 FPS and no stutters)

As before, find it in the list but select "Set Priority" and set like this.

TrackIR.jpg

Then as above "Set Affinity" like this. Its now only using the cores NOT used by P3D

TrackIRAFF.jpg

Now set ASN and EZDC "Set Affinity" the same way, DONT change "Set Priority" leave as default "Normal"

ASN.jpg

EZCA.jpg

Now you have set everything to use the cores P3D does not use, leaving P3D in peace.

Am not saying this is best and it might not even work for you, but it sure does for me and hopefully the reasons why are easy to see.

Like always it's finding what works for you.

Enjoy!
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 6

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Just so I have this correct, do you go into the task manager before each session and set those processes' affinity?

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Hi David.

have you tried this setup with HT off? There is a problem with VAS as i recall it with it on.

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Just so I have this correct, do you go into the task manager before each session and set those processes' affinity?

Yes that's right

Hi David.

have you tried this setup with HT off? There is a problem with VAS as i recall it with it on.

Michael Moe

Yes and I prefer HT on Michael. I have No problems with VAS even flying into EGLL (aerosofts) from e.g Copenhagen. 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Thanks for the post, these kinds of posts are very informative. I run with HT off, but I totally forgot about setting the priority to 'High' before flying. I think that there is a .bat file we can create to have P3D start in a higher priority than normal. I just can't remember how to do it. Did it for FSX and it worked very well.

I'm running the same CPU, but have better results with HT off. I tried AM=116/85/84, but none seemed to do it for me like HT off with no AM. 

I did not say set P3D to High. Its default. Only TrackIR.

Also this is not relying on just a AM tweak. It's about kicking everything of the cores used my P3D and the AM.

Heya David, 

Interesting.

Just an FYI:

• You can also invoke Task Manager by hitting CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
  • If you use Process Lasso it will *permanently* assign core affinity for any process.

Lots of ways to get creative around here!

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

Nice info John.

Heya David, 

Interesting.

Just an FYI:

• You can also invoke Task Manager by hitting CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
  • If you use Process Lasso it will *permanently* assign core affinity for any process.

Lots of ways to get creative around here!

I second on Process Lasso, using it since many years.

Interesting post David, I will look at giving it a try when I have a chance.  Thanks for sharing the information.

\Robert Hamlich/

I did not say set P3D to High. Its default. Only TrackIR.

Another way is right click on trackir desktop icon => properties => shortcut and add this line in target : C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /high TrackIR5.exe.

TIR will start on high priority everytime.

• Upvote 2

CPU Intel Core i9 13900K, GPU :RTX 4090 FE, RAM : Corsair Vengeance DDR5 32GB@6000MHz, SSD : Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe M2, Monitor : Asus PG42 UQ

If I use Process Lasso do I still have to set AM in P3D config?

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

And yet

Another way is

to use SimStarter.

This is a fantastic piece of sofwares and I believe a new version soon will also set the affinity mask of each program it starts in conjunction with the sim.