Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clutch Cargo

When did you discover the "flightsim community"?

When I began this hobby-obsession-addiction, two years ago it was not til 6 months later that I discovered there was an entire flightsim community out there on the WWW like this site full of forums, downloads, and commercial products. Curious, how long did it take you to discover you were not alone?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Late 90s and then I found PIC 767 which lead me to Avsim and life was never quite the same ;-)...............Randy J. Smith................A PROUD MEMBER OF THE PMDG BETA TEAM[h4]Evolution is a process that results in heritable changes in a population spread over many generations[/h4]

Early 90s for me. AOL had a very active flight sim area and a nice file library at the time. That lead me, over the next few years, to Compuserv and Microwings and Flightsim.com and AVSIM.com in pretty much that chronological order. My how times have changed. R-

I joined the online community pretty late lol. I had absolutely no idea that a non-combat civilian game would have such a thriving community. I remember coming across an FS9 problem and I Googled it hoping some Microsoft help sites would come up - instead the first hits on Google were "Avsim", "FS2004.com" and I was like "What are these sites....holy cow theres loads like me...all simmerrsssssss! And...and...planes...hundreds of planes...f...for..free?!"Yea that discovery time was good :)

For me, it was after FS98. I used to insist that Flight Unlimited and Pro pilot were the greatest, however I never knew of any forums. Then came FS9, that changed my whole perspective. My entire everyday exsistance revolves around AVSIM. I can't say enough good things about how everyone here has made this hobby so much more than it could have been without the community. I look forward to the next phase of Flight Simulation and AVSIM. Without this community, flight simming would be, well, boring.

199... 4 or 5 was it... I was still flying FS5.1 for DOS!FSFW95 (aka FS95) was about to be released...My first download was a panel for 737 that was featured in the first issue of Computer Pilot magazine! I can't remember which site that was.Then, FS98 came out... The golden era of freeware.George DorkofikisAthens, Hellashttp://online.vatsimindicators.net/811520/1704.png

2001 Christmas. I had only had a PC for a short time and when in Houston for Christmas with the family I saw a store display with combat flight simulator 2 and thought "wow, that looks pretty cool, wonder how it plays". I got it and when I got home, played till I had gone thru every mission and campaign still unaware of this community. One day I wanted to find some info on the Pacific Theatre and did a serach and stumbled on Simviation. All of a sudden the while FS world opened up and I found out about CFS1, FS98 and FS2000, it was all downhill after that! LOL Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Shortly after Flightsim.com first came online (1995 I believe)...

FS98 for me, I quickly found references to flightsim stuff on AOL and it took me into the real world of flightsim. Great community, free flowing dialog and help with any problem you may be experiencing..what a group! I have FS2002 and 2004 loaded on my computer, but I use FS2002 simply because it runs the best, and a lot of stuff for 2004 works in it. I don't have any plans to upgrade my computer in the near future, and it seems like every new sim has so much more stuff, that you almost have to upgrade. Looks like I will be hanging in with FS2002 for a while yet.When FS10 comes out, if I hear an overwhelming number of rave reviews about how well it runs on 3.0gig processors with a load of addons, I may buy it.Cheers,Bob

For me it was back in the early to mid eighties. I first found Flight Sim forums on Compuserve where they periodically held flyin's using the then rudimentary Multi Player mode, where unless you kept the poly count down to a certain level every plane appeared as a Cessna. (Way before any type of Broadband Connection, Dial-Up only) An Airport would be selected for the Flyin, You then had to fly from your home airport on your own to just around the approach of that airport around your time slot you were assigned. You would then attempt (And I do mean Attempt) to make a connection with the Controller's system. If connection was made the controller saw either the Cessna, or the an image of the aircraft flown (If poly count was low enough!) Most flew planes with higher poly's so all was seen was the Cessna! A few though like mine, which I used specifically for these events the actual plane was transmitted to the host! The controller would report what he saw on the Compuserve forum chat session. My favorite for these sessions was a F4U Corsair, which if I'm not mistaken was made by Bill Grabowski, which for it's time was pretty detailed and still stayed below the limit, which was actually quite low from today's standards!! Other FS Sights I was a member of included, AOL, Prodigy, and of course AVSIM and Flightsim.com. I have to say AVSIM, by far is the best yet!!

Yes! I remember discovering the FSForum on Compuserve and thinking "there are other weird people like me that enjoy flight simulator..!!" Ah the good old days of FS4 and 256 colours with EGA screens. :-)The Compuerve forums were fantastic friendly places. None of the trolls you see nowadays - everyone enjoyed the hobby and was keen to help others. Of course this was before payware add-ons were invented!

I discovered the online flightsim community not long after fs98 was released. I was and still am simply amazed at the effort people have put into making flightsimming more enjoyable, reliable and most of all more realistic. Had I stuck with just the default flightsim I'd have gotten bored and left years ago.Will

Early 90's on Compuserve. I was using Sublogic ATP and discovered Sun Air Express (VA)...those were the days!

Compuserve FSForum and the one for ATP (can't recall it's name right now, so long ago). Back in 1994, I got a coupon with some FS4 scenery for ATP (USA West) for some free Compuserve time, and I've been hooked ever since :)Bruce.