Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

Graphics corruption in FSX - (UPDATE: possible solution found!)

Tabs I am unsure what you mean by "skeleton aircraft." Although when flying the PMDG MD-11 (lightly loaded from LPFB-KJAX) I did have an issue where I went to look at the FS Map (from the menu), and came back to find the whole plane gone. Just a few knobs floating in the air was all that was left, and the sim wouldn't unpause. If you are talking about stuff like that then for me it is a rare occassion, but I have seen it a few times (PMDG MD-11, Concorde X, A2A B377, A2A P-47, A2A Piper Cub). It makes sense what you are saying about the custom soundset... Although in my experimentation, and reading other peoples post it was tracked to a conflict with a sound file in windows adi.dll (I think, I will post the exact file name when I get home). That solved a lot of issues for me, and I have not had issues with the A2A aircraft since (flew the 377 from Florida to France and back without a single issue). I have recently started running FSX in windowed mode, and I just use the shortcuts to access 2D panels. I try not to touch the overhead menus at all unless I am safe on the deck, and the first one I do is save it in case it does go corrupt. So knock on wood I haven't had any dropping of graphics lately, but hopefully this post helps shed some light. I do (and others around the forums) think it has something to do with sounds. My system specs are this: Asus P6T V2 Delux motherboard, i7-950 OC'd to 3.2ghz, 6GB DDR3 RAM, 750GB HD (for windows), 150GB WD Raptor 10,000RPM drive (for FSX only), Windows Vista 64-bit OS, Nvidia GTX-285 1GB video card, and I use the onboard audio with regular sound drivers. Hope this helps.EDIT: Just wanted to post that it happens very infrequent for me. Usually when I try 7+ hour flights. Even rarer it will happen when I play with the menu's to much, but like I said I try to stay away from messing with the menu's.

Guest 413X3

What exactly did you do with the adi.dll file to fix it?

It does seem that the majority of folks with issues here have the Asus P6T chipset motherboard in it various forms, as per Ryan's post above. What I find interesting is that I have a P6T V2 Deluxe board and I have issues both using the Onboard audio and also by using an X-Fi Xtremegamer card (whilst having motherboard audio disabled in the bios). The only reason I started using the Onboard audio was I could lower the sound quality futher in Vista than with the X-Fi.Prior to this rig I had a Q9650 running on an Asus P5E board, X38 chipset. On this I used the same X-Fi card and never had a single issue like I'm experiencing now.I'm wondering whether the P6T board fall over with any sound chipset, either onboard or standalone?Rob Wilkinson

I deleted the file. There was a large thread on this very issue over on the A2A forums (www.a2asimulations.com). Deleting that file fixed the issue with their aircraft for me. I only had it happen once with the MD-11X since then, and that was a 9 hour flight. Like I said when I get home I will post the details. I don't want people deleting the wrong file. They were saying in the thread over there that file is some erroneous sound file that installs with windows, and never got fixed. So it references something wrong. I will get the details and bring them here though.

Hi Ryan,Thanks for this thread and your investigations.One thought from a none programmer. Given the the details Lefteris posted in the Concorde X forums could it be that this sound.dll problem is only 'the straw that broke the Camel's back'?I mention that because, if I read Lefterist's comments correctly, the time at which certain DLLs/ modules load can affect the graphics problems.I have a thread in the video section of the hardware where I posted problems with AA appearing not to work under certain conditions in FSX. After some experimentation the 3GB RAM and userva switch helped the problem but I suspect that the symptoms were caused by the same issue causing the loss of textures.I also have a problem switching between FSX window mode and full screen where FSX hangs, which I feel is an associated symptom.Later today I will try the sound.dll fix and see if that improve things.For basic info Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R mo/bo, 4GB OCZ RAM, E8400 CPU @ 3GHz, Creative Audigy sound card, on board sound disabled.Would be nice if this is the culprit, at least it means only one item to address :( Dave

I have had occurrences of Issues 1 and 4 with PMDG 747, MD-11 but cannot recall if I have had an issue with any other addons on my Vista 64 PC. Most issues have all but gone but I am experiencing some corruption on occasion mostly on long flight

\Robert Hamlich/

Ryan,Just to let you know: I have a P6T WS Professional motherboard with Windows 7 x64. The rest of the system is in my signature. I don't experience anything of what you summarized when starting this thread. As the matter of fact, FSX has never been more stable on my system than it is now. This is despite the fact that I have never had such high resolution ground texture, mesh, sky or complex aircrafts as I have installed now. I actually haven't had a single CTD after I installed FSX on this system, and the graphics are still working good after a 9 hour realtime long haul flight with the 747-400X. Why am I not seeing any of these problems with the motherboard I am having?The only problem I have, that I can think of, is if I return to desktop using the ALT+TAB key combination, FSX has a tendency to crash when I try to get back in. However, this goes more or less for all games, and this is not the only system where I have had that problem. It's great to see that you are looking into this though, it shows what superb customer service PMDG has :(

hi all, I know nothing about what goes on in a PC Case, therefore i dont interfere with it. my system is high end spec., put together by the best Computer shop in the U.K. to my requirements. All the PMDG aircraft perform as they should - no complaints. May i suggest that some simmers are tinkering with their PC and dont remember what alterations they made - easy done - and find the faults described by Tabs and then blame the software/hardware instead of themselves. if it aint broke dont fix it. richard welsh.

Me again with a brief update.After making the sound edit, I started the 748 on a RJAA-KBOS route that takes nearly 12 hrs. No graphics corruption at all. This is with going from windowed to full screen, surfing the net, accessing not only FSX menus, but the PMDG menus which, in the past, was always good for some degree of graphic weirdness, starting REX & loading current weather in-game (again, which always caused immediate corruption). I consider this a major improvement, and the PMDG stuff seems to be performing as well as the PMDG stuff in FS9, for the first time in the 10 months I've had this PC.I do have a Gigabyte X38 mo-board (i7 940 OC'd at about 3.9---still playing with that) but with a Soundblaster card (can't get the freq. below CD quality, so that's not helping), ATI Rad. 4800 vid. & 6 gb of RAM, all under Win 7.This has been a very interesting thread. Dave Skuback

Dave Skuback - KBLM

'Cause down the shore everything's all right

Ryan,I've tried the sound dll fix that you gave and ran a test flight in the 747x from KLAS to KSFO and it worked brilliantly, just a shame to miss all the other sounds. I was running UTX. GEX and REX with real world weather and also at the Dusk/Night transition. Also I was running UT2 with airline traffic set to 80% and GA to 60%. It all ran fine, I accessed the menus multiple times and was able to run an instant replay fine when landing at KSFO.Previously I was always getting the skeleton with the 747 on this flight, particularly when running an instant replay after landing in KSFO.I listed my system specs in a previous post but I'm one of the Asus P6T Deluxe V2 users, using onboard audio (although my X-Fi card caused the same issue on this rig)CheersRob Wilkinson

hi all, I know nothing about what goes on in a PC Case, therefore i dont interfere with it. my system is high end spec., put together by the best Computer shop in the U.K. to my requirements. All the PMDG aircraft perform as they should - no complaints. May i suggest that some simmers are tinkering with their PC and dont remember what alterations they made - easy done - and find the faults described by Tabs and then blame the software/hardware instead of themselves. if it aint broke dont fix it. richard welsh.
I think you're just lucky! I've NEVER tinkered with my machine, and like you I had it built for me by a reputable computer company, but i've had this texture problem from the day I started using complex addons like PMDG J41, CS 757 and now the Concorde X.It does appear though that the sound dll 'fix' suggested here seems to solve the problem. I'm very excited to see where this goes in the long run.Regards,Tom Wright

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

My computer, which I built, never had any issues running FSX and complex add-ons like PMDG, Captain Sim, Leonardo, REX, GEX, UTX, etc., until I purchased the FlightSimLabs ConcordeX. This aircraft seems to have finally pushed FSX to its limits.

Hey guys. Now dont take this the wrong way, I love the plane to death and have many hours on her, but my problem (#1) started when I got the J41. Before that I never had an issue watching replays, going into and coming out of menus or alt/tab in and out of windowed mode. I can confirm this on my current machine and my last one which had a P5K mobo.

Me again with a brief update.After making the sound edit, I started the 748 on a RJAA-KBOS route that takes nearly 12 hrs. No graphics corruption at all. This is with going from windowed to full screen, surfing the net, accessing not only FSX menus, but the PMDG menus which, in the past, was always good for some degree of graphic weirdness, starting REX & loading current weather in-game (again, which always caused immediate corruption). I consider this a major improvement, and the PMDG stuff seems to be performing as well as the PMDG stuff in FS9, for the first time in the 10 months I've had this PC.I do have a Gigabyte X38 mo-board (i7 940 OC'd at about 3.9---still playing with that) but with a Soundblaster card (can't get the freq. below CD quality, so that's not helping), ATI Rad. 4800 vid. & 6 gb of RAM, all under Win 7.This has been a very interesting thread. Dave Skuback
Ryan,I've tried the sound dll fix that you gave and ran a test flight in the 747x from KLAS to KSFO and it worked brilliantly, just a shame to miss all the other sounds. I was running UTX. GEX and REX with real world weather and also at the Dusk/Night transition. Also I was running UT2 with airline traffic set to 80% and GA to 60%. It all ran fine, I accessed the menus multiple times and was able to run an instant replay fine when landing at KSFO.Previously I was always getting the skeleton with the 747 on this flight, particularly when running an instant replay after landing in KSFO.I listed my system specs in a previous post but I'm one of the Asus P6T Deluxe V2 users, using onboard audio (although my X-Fi card caused the same issue on this rig)CheersRob Wilkinson
Just out of curiosity did either of you gentlemen experience a dusk/dawn transition during your flight? How did the sound edit handle that particular phase?

like a couple of people on herei only have seen the issue with the new concorde XAlex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK