Sign in to follow this  
TheDanger

ORBX 33% off sale

Same here after what happened today. Lousy PR, a slap in the face of their most loyal customers.
+1No explanation, no sorry......just contempt and an attempt at trying to make out that Orbx should be insulted by the remarks from many CUSTOMERS

Guest HowardHughes
Stupid or not they will not have the chance now as that deal is withdrawn as John V mentioned
I think John realized he just cooked his pre-pay business, hence the pre-emptive move. Its exactly what I would have done.
Apologies, I missed that the first time I read it.Regardless, I'm sure it would be revealing to find out how many people's Orbx purchasing decisions are affected by this. I'm willing to bet many will no longer be interested in paying full price....

The fact of the matter is that ORBX/JV has the monopoly on this type of great scenery and that is the ONLY reason I buy it, NOT because they have great customer relationships, HOWEVER, when someone comes along with the equivalent or better then orbx is done!

Ciao!

No explanation, no sorry......just contempt and an attempt at trying to make out that Orbx should be insulted by the remarks from many CUSTOMERS
+1and neither should you expect a "Sorry". That word is not part of that business profile

None of this would have been a problem if the 8 recent pre-pay items had not been included (as usual).
Exactly!The fact that they are having a sale right now doesn't bother me. However, including products released a few weeks (or DAYS ago, as with OS9 and PAKT) was not something they did with their past sales. For example, I bought Cushman Meadows at full price during their last big sale in May. It was not discounted because, in Mr. Venema's words, "We feel this is fairer on those customers who prepaid for KCMW at full price, when they did not have to." At that time, there was no discount for pre-payers. In the same post, he also said: "Also in respect to pre-paying we've changed our policy to give pre-payers a 15% discount incentive from now on; something that will be welcomed I am sure. So we protect loyalty in two ways: a 15% discount and protection from sale pricing."The full post can be found here: http://www.orbxsyste...__fromsearch__1Also, I personally found the message in the sale banner on their website to be a bit insulting: "The Orbx team wishes all our customers happy holidays and thank you for your outstanding support in 2011!"Apparently subsidizing their development for up to two months with pre-pays doesn't count as "outstanding support".

I'm a big fan of the Orbx sceneries - I have them all. In fact, I'm such a big fan I splashed out on the pre-order deal for ALL of the new stuff back in October (spent a nice chunk of my annual bonus on them).To see them *all* now 33% off only a couple of days after I downloaded the last one... well I just feel like a mug.Mr Venema's response, well... it's arrogant. As simple as that. To be fair though I've come to expect no less from him.Now the question is will this sale generate enough revenue from new customers to offset the potential loss in revenue from the existing (hitherto loyal) customers whom Mr Venema has just taken a huge dump all over?

33% off? Back in May they had a 44% off sale. I'll probably wait until May rolls around and buy it they match 44% off again.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

I saw this sale and was close to heading over and purchasing a few of their sceneries as I have envied the beautiful ORBX screenshots that folks post... until reading John's response on their forum. When taken with the point 5 quoted above from their own pricing policy, I'd rather not give them my business.

""Now the question is will this sale generate enough revenue from new customers to offset the potential loss in revenue from the existing (hitherto loyal) customers whom Mr Venema has just taken a huge dump all over? ""i would say---yes.Many people do it right--wait for a sale and don`t get in touch with the Forums too much.We--the former so called loyal customers-did it wrong by supporting a company just from the beginning of their business.Hey--it`s the WorldWideWeb-what did we expect?I see it now it bit clearer---save your money,wait for a sale and you don`t will be called selfish and ungrateful.Such things will never happen to me again.Michael

Some of these aggreived posts make me smile...well they would if they weren't filled with such bitterness.It's amazing how many posters were only too glad to install a number of free airports from ORBX and sing their praises in response but the moment something goes against them a totally different reaction comes out.Maybe JV has made the right decision eh?......customer loyalty not all it's cracked up to be is it.Bryan.

I have written to Orbx. I have voiced my displeasure. I feel totally hosed! I pre-paid for all the last 8 products, I have each and every one of their products. I pre-pay because I thought it was helpful to have cash flow and a firm sale. The last 8 products should never have gone on 33% sale when the products in some cases were delivered only two days before Christmas. And in the case of NZ some of us did a beta testing job on the product by pre paying, finding the numerous errors that provided time for Orbx to fix and issue a patch for all those who now buy the product and will get 33% off, 15% more off than I got and I gave them my bloody money in November. I am ######.contents of my email letterPlease tell me that Orbx is NOT behind the recent sale of products that included all the last round of pre-pay products some only recently Dec23 issued. Please tell me that this sale was initiated by the Flightsim Store. And please tell me that there was an oversite by including products that only came out a few days ago and offering them cheaper than those of use who gave you our money ages ago in advance. And that many pre tested and found all the problems like in NZ for you and that those people now get the benefit of that testing.I have no issue with discounting OLDER products. Fill your boots.As no company would ask (provide) a sale discount (pre-paid in good faith to long standing customers, to support a company, knowing that this is good for cash flow....and delivery of products rushed out the door some only two days before Christmas)...and then offer them for 15% lower than the pre-pay buyers a couple of days later.All the last suite of pre-pay products a month old or younger mostly in the last couple of weeks and days should NEVER have gone on sale for 15% lower than the prices paid for by us pre-payers. This is an insult.Quite frankly, I feel hosed. It is the principle of this marketing not the money that's upsetting.I feel I should get a credit of 15% for the last 8 products I bought against the next products that might be coming down the pipe.It makes me wonder if there is something going on because MS Flight is soon to be beta tested and might throw a curve into Orbx marketing plans.If this was "Future Shop" I would have marched down to the store with the flying in hand and I know that I would have walked out with the credit.Sincerely, Bryan Just because the products are some of the best in the flightsim world doesn't mean you screw with loyal customers. Doesn't mean you can say, well too bad....it's our business and we can do what we want. The customer is always right, and the customer that is already in the door and standing at the service counter gets served first and is the first priority. And you certainly don't offer something to the next customer at a cheaper price and not provide the same respect to the long time fully invested customer.Lets face it - this was a marketing screw up. Simply do not sell the last eight products on sale, until say summer 2012.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

I'm a big fan of the Orbx sceneries - I have them allMr Venema's response, well... it's arrogant. As simple as that. To be fair though I've come to expect no less from him.Now the question is will this sale generate enough revenue from new customers to offset the potential loss in revenue from the existing (hitherto loyal) customers whom Mr Venema has just taken a huge dump all over?
I"m missing only the last 4 Australian airports, I rarely fly in OZ but I will get them, eventually; as for Mr Venema, I lost respect for him a year or 2 ago, when he promise a free airport for customer who bought ALL their offerings before the end of year; since I had everything BUT the Lancair (which I didn"t care for ), I bought it anyway... do not use it often but nice plane anyway...spring came then summer and I then inquire about the promise on ORBX forum, in a very polite and respectfull way and guess what ? NO response from ORBX and the post was deleted after a couple hours...It also happened to me at Justflight once, was promised a free plane and never got it...Did that stopped me to buy ORBX products ? no because they are that good, and they know it ! so...since I am buying a quality product and not buying "friendship" I guess I will take advantage of the sale.Did it stopped me from buying at Justflight ? yes, if I can find the same item around the same price elsewhere. Alain from Montreal

Finally I can get Alice Springs for only $22, and get another 5% discount from the nice folks at the flight sim store.Lovely Big%20Grin.gif
and how do you get the extra 5% off?Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

and how do you get the extra 5% off?Ray
Be a member of the OZX forum

Ahh this episode make me think of that "comedy" picture I saw a while ago about JV and his faithful band supporters (that he has now kicked to the curb as they are no more use to him)..oh it bring back some fine memories and I cant help to still have a giggle about that when I see that picture in my mind..