Sign in to follow this  
Chris Kelly

PMDG 777 Information

But is it true that the letter (W) was chosen as an abbreviation for the letters (E) and ®? Because (E) ist the 5th of the alphabet and ® the 18th. And 5+18=23 for (W) ?

Perhaps because it's a wide-body?

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

yeah could be possible. widebody or wingtips nice idea.

thank you

T7 Boost: did you write the Da Vinci Code under another name.

Some of these calculations are positively Masonic.

I guess the "W" stands for "wingtips" or "winglets" - I know they are called "raked winglets".

No I believe it had to do with the higher gross weight over the 773. Plus they need something to separate them ICAO code wise. It's not like the 772 and 772ER where they can use the same ICAO code for Flight Plans etc. Like the 777-200LR is the 77L because it's a pretty different Aircraft in many ways, along with the 777-300 & 777-300ER, both different.

Hey guys one question.

The 77W stands for 777-300ER right? But is it true that the letter 'W' was chosen as an abbreviation for the letters 'E' and 'R'? Because 'E' ist the 5th of the alphabet and 'R' the 18th. And 5 + 18 = 23 for 'W' ?

So is it possible that this calculation can be true?

Hi

W=Woodpigeon !!

I'm out --> []

Guillaume Paulin

Guillaume Paulin

Hi

W=Woodpigeon !!

I'm out --> []

Guillaume Paulin

Hahaha, it seems so obvious now how did we not see that before?

Alaister Kay

Hi

W=Woodpigeon !!

I'm out --> []

Guillaume Paulin

:fool: How I could be so stupid. It can only be W for woodpigeon.

T7 Boost: did you write the Da Vinci Code under another name.

Some of these calculations are positively Masonic.

:wink: Who knows?

OK, I have to put a stop to this.... the 'W' stands for "world liner", and is added to the 777-300ER to distinguish it from the standard 777-300 designated 773. And lets NOT start speculating what the 'G' stands for as in 73G - which is in fact a 737-900ER

OK, I have to put a stop to this.... the 'W' stands for "world liner", and is added to the 777-300ER to distinguish it from the standard 777-300 designated 773. And lets NOT start speculating what the 'G' stands for as in 73G - which is in fact a 737-900ER

The 73G is not the -900ER, but rather the -700 variant. In the reservations system, the 737 code was originally reserved for the 737-100. To mitigate this conflict when the -700 came along, they simply replaced the last 7 digit with the 7th letter of the alphabet, G. That's why you see 73G in the bookings systems for the -700 rather than simply 737.

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

OK, I have to put a stop to this.... the 'W' stands for "world liner", and is added to the 777-300ER to distinguish it from the standard 777-300 designated 773.

No no. The Boeing 777-200LR is called World Liner because it is the airplane with the longest range.

But that's not the point. We all know (I hope so :wink: ) the 772 is the -200, -773 the -300, 77W the -300ER and 77F the beautiful Boeing 777-Freighter or known as -200LRF.

No no. The Boeing 777-200LR is called World Liner because it is the airplane with the longest range.

But that's not the point. We all know (I hope so :wink: ) the 772 is the -200, -773 the -300, 77W the -300ER and 77F the beautiful Boeing 777-Freighter or known as -200LRF.

Not entirely correct, but close enough. There is not a 77F code. It simply falls into the same category as the LR, the model which it is based off of. Here is the list as published by ICAO through Wikipedia:

• 777-200/200ER = B772
  • 777-200LR/777F = B77L
  • 777-300 = B773
  • 777-300ER = B77W