Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lemond23

Off-topic: how pilots communicate so quickly?

I'm listening to ATC control and it's amazing how quick they communicate with each other. Tower gives whole instructions and radio frequencies in very quick speech and pilots repeat very quickly and easily. How do they do it? Is there a technique to learn that?

Teo Halfen

We do this all the time too. After a while, you know what they are going to say before they do. If you notice, they give the same instructions all the time. Rarely does something catch us off guard.

Just think how easy and quick it would be for you to describe where I could find the spoons in your kitchen - same thing, familiarity.

Al

ATC has a standard phraseology and while there are variations this standardization allows for efficient communication.

Sometimes, after an ATC and a pilot have been talking non stop for 10 seconds or so (like changing an arrival procedure or something), they pilot stops using the callsign and in general aviation cases, he may just use the last 3 digits, for example:

United 1053 (one zero five three) shortened to ten fifty three

Skyhawk (or Cessna) N745JV shortened to 5JV.

ATC has a standard phraseology and while there are variations this standardization allows for efficient communication.

Exactly, the 7110.65, the AIM and the Pilot-Controller Glossary all set up pilots and ATC alike with a phraseology standard. That standard allows the two groups to communicate very quickly and easily (most of the time) because the words and phrases are expected (though this can also cause issues). Since they're expected, the groups know how to process it faster.

As an example, clearances generally follow the form of "[Callsign], cleared to the [destination airport, or some point in between if there are traffic issues]. [Departure instructions], maintain [initial altitude], expect [filed altitude] [X] minutes after departure. Departure frequency [freq]. Squawk

."

Because I know it will take that form, I'm better prepared to process the information, or write it down. Same thing goes for just about everything else.

As for the speed of speaking, that's all experience.

So AL, "United 754 Heavy say spoon position."

"Spoons 6 oclock 5 miles in drawer at my house United 754 heavy."

Kind of like that?

So AL, "United 754 Heavy say spoon position."

"Spoons 6 oclock 5 miles in drawer at my house United 754 heavy."

Kind of like that?

Pretty much. Although if ATC asked me to say spoon position, you'd hear a noticable delay followed by "aaaaahhhhh, uuuuummmm say again please for UAL745"

Just think how easy and quick it would be for you to describe where I could find the spoons in your kitchen - same thing, familiarity.

Al

AH yes the spoons...wait ...hang on ...don't tell me...hmmm i know there here somewhere....oh yes ...no...ah here they are..no they're knives wait a sec... :smile: :smile:

it's why i don't fly real aircraft :smile:

steve-0

AH yes the spoons...wait ...hang on ...don't tell me...hmmm i know there here somewhere....oh yes ...no...ah here they are..no they're knives wait a sec... :smile: :smile:

it's why i don't fly real aircraft :smile:

steve-0

Haha nicely said!

Al

Or how many pairs of socks you have-two!

Al

Good analogy Alan.

When your new you usually write the instructions down or if your experienced when there are a lot of small details. It's a peace of cake after a while.

I want to try VoxATC, that might allow learning and practicing nicely.

The pass level for the RT exam in UK is 100%. Pilots maintain what is called "a listening watch" They are listening all the time to the traffic around them and obviously for their own callsign. The terminology is brief and precise. Also from the sim point of view one sometimes comes acrooss somebody who complains about the voices and wants a more hifi sound. The radios, headsets and microphones are deliberately designed to reproduce at the higher frequency range with no bass so that communication can be overheard above the noice in the cockpit.

vololiberista

The radios, headsets and microphones are deliberately designed to reproduce at the higher frequency range with no bass so that communication can be overheard above the noice in the cockpit.

vololiberista

I always liked the radio comms in this lager ad...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVSBtivbUs4

:LMAO:

'Spoon, we are reading you as a knife on our scopes, please reset your transponder and fork - correction, squawk - 5642'

'You mean there is no spoon?'

Al

'Spoon, we are reading you as a knife on our scopes, please reset your transponder and fork - correction, squawk - 5642'

'You mean there is no spoon?'

Al

:biggrin:

As everyone else has said, proper phraseology. :) It's amazing how quickly it comes to you when it's all standard, time after time after time. When i got out of active duty, I went to work for 911-dispatch for the locality I was in. Same idea; quick listening and quick replies. It's fun to jump on VATSIM every now and again to have the newbie students listen....I always get the pm's popping up...."woah, how'd you do that?" :) Helps my old man ego from time to time. lol Especially when I used to do the splits of Military group-flights at KNBC......those are VERY familiar and FUN to me. :dance: