Sign in to follow this  
Jcannon

Flight planning software, Which one to get?

Morning,

Firstly let me start off with a SORRY! I know this type of thread has been done to death.

I have had a search along with looking at addon markets and im still non the wiser.

I was planning on waiting for PFPX and jumping in with both feet, but Ive come to the realisation that if i dont keep progressing with the learning curve that is a procedural **, my simming time would dwindle.

The way I would do it at the minute is to go to rFinder and get a rough flight plan, from that I would get the sids and stars for the arrival and departure and match them up to my initial and final waypoints. Then off to fuelplan2 for my fuel calculations. But it would appear that rfinder is getting more and more outdated as I found out with some of my recent routings.

I also have a 2nd monitor thats in portrait mode, so as long as the flightplanner can be made thinner but longer, all should be good.

Thanks for reading.

Jack

Jack Cannon

FS Build is pretty good, i use that on occasion. But to be honest a lot of the time I use the FSX planner either automatically or manually by dragging the A to B line onto waypoints, and then add the SIDs and STARs in Aivlasoft's EFB and save it out from that. TOPCAT is good for fuel stuff and V Speeds.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I agree FS Build is the way to go but you can find flight plan on those website below

flightaware.com for USA

http://www.eurofpl.eu/ for europe you need to register

I would wait PPFX it will do everything you need

Hi,

Add another to the FSBuild club.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

I've tried most of them but use FSBuild most often. It's not the prettiest nor the easiest to use, but it's comprehensive and gets the job done most thoroughly.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Check out vroute.info premium http://www.vroute.net/ which has both a Standard (free) and a Premium (€22.95) version, which I found after have used FSBuild to suit me better.

One feature I enjoy very much is that you get a .PDF Flight Progress Card which contains a wealth of information and is a joy to use with iPad and the "PDF Expert" app:

7365433092_c2080e8066_b.jpg

/Johan

I guess I'm the cheap guy in the crowd...LOL. I use Simroutes to get plans that others have created:

http://www.simroutes.../ShowPlans.aspx

It's free. Then I (typically) pick the most appropriate flight plan and plug it into SkyVector (alas, only available for the US):

http://skyvector.com/

I just copy and paste it, look over the route altitudes and airspaces on the charts. If I'm happy with it out of Simroutes then I can download it in either FSX format or PMDG format. If not, then I drag the route to where I want it and then enter it manually. The routes as displayed by both aren't always accurate (e.g. when intercepting an airway from a radial) but they're ok. Doesn't take long to get used to.

Sometimes I also go here:

http://flightaware.c...estination=KLAS

...for real world flight plans.

And it's all free. I think I got most of it from a Vatsim site.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Get a one month free trial at uvflightplanner.com and hope PFPX is out by then. :-p

I use FSBuild and by far when using it with FlightAware it can't be beat IMHO. I can generate .pln and .rtf plans at the same time. Also it gives me a very good fuel burn prediction for my LDS767. Also when flying in areas that are not covered by FlightAware it generates a route that is pretty good.

Bob

FSBuild for me as well. I like as bobbyjoh stated about the using it with FlightAware flight plans. If that doesnt work for you, you always have the option to do a auto generate or if you want you can build your own flight plan from scratch. There is a bit of a learning curve (at least for me) if you want to know all the ins and outs of it. I took the advantage of a rainy day and learned all about it.

Jim

Jim Wenham