Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

Light bloom hurts frame rates badly

This is probably already known but wanted to see if I was missing out on something amazing with this feature. After my disappointment with my recent upgrade, I was forced to play around with settings to get better frame rates. I'm pretty sure this graphic option is the largest affecting frame rates. It seems to do so little during the day yet sucks a lot of frame rate. See pics with actual frame rates.

jcWKnr1l2szBL.jpg

jGkx7Thzj1a67.jpg

jCl1Qdznk13vD.jpg

jbzP5IjLWwQbVF.jpg

jbuANasBwA2UAr.jpg

juRy0IYMLFwku.jpg-

Yeah, this setting is widely known to be a HUUUGE performance hog. The DX10 bloom is much faster, but then we all know DX10 brings about some other issues itself.

Yeah, this setting is widely known to be a HUUUGE performance hog. The DX10 bloom is much faster, but then we all know DX10 brings about some other issues itself.

Just what I was going to say. However, I have been happy to use the EMB mod which gives some of the benefits without the framerate loss.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Light bloom is known as the biggest performance hog. However, I almost always leave it on because I still get acceptable performance with it and I love the effect.

The DX10 bloom is much faster, but then we all know DX10 brings about some other issues itself.

Honestly, with all of the recent work, dedication and discoveries of a few fellow simmers regarding FSX and it's implemetation of DX10 those "issues" have quickly decreased in number. In fact so much, that, I now am flying DX10 exclusively after flying DX9 exclusively for years. The performance increase in combination with the ability to turn up the eye candy, including bloom, with minimal impact on framerate is a win-win situation. IMHO what issues now remain with DX10 implementaion in FSX are minmal. Who knows, possibly Prepar3D v2 will fix the DX10 issues altogether.

Many 3rd part addons don't play well with dx10, like flight beam 's ksfo.

ENB isn't supported under dx10 either.

No commercial addon supports DX10. DX10 was buggy for sure but they all work great now with the DX10 fix(es). If an addon has FSX textures, it will work and any software that was made for FS9 will work in most cases by using the utility called Addon Convert X. This utility will convert FS9 textures to be compatible with FSX during the flight session, then revert back once the FSX session is over (so it's not a permanent texture fix). It does not do it for all FS9 aircraft and scenery but it still does a pretty good job. Commercial developers will always state their product is not DX10 compatible as the technology was never finalized by the Microsoft Aces Team. Just think for a moment if they did say their product was compatible and the buyer saw all the bugs associated with DX10 Preview. FWIW, DX10 Preview has been fixed by a fellow flight simmer and, like sargeski above, I fly exclusively in DX10 mode. Check out the DX10 Forum.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

No commercial addon supports DX10.

So your saying that some addons, like a few of the ones from FlyTampa that say they are DX10 compatible, are really not?

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

So your saying that some addons, like a few of the ones from FlyTampa that say they are DX10 compatible, are really not?

I run dx10 in fsx and have FlyTampa's S. Maarten and Grenadines scenery, and i can confirm they work in DX10. FlyTampa has updates on their site for making it work in DX10

Using DX9 I could never use bloom with my small computer. After switching to DX10 I can honeslty say that I can now use "bloom" for the first time with no noticeable hit in frames.

"DX10 was buggy for sure but they all work great now with the DX10 fix(es)." Totally agree, Jim.

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Same here! It's not "buggy" enough to stop me using it any more. The odd "blue box" here and there are almost not noticeable, and - as Jim said - AddonConverter does a masterful job of converting all of my older (but still favourite) aircraft.

I've spent most of today doing circles around and in between the skyscrapers of Jon Patch's Vancouver+ twiddling and tweaking, and as anyone who has that scenery knows - it's one of the biggest frame hogs of all time. Great testing location.

These pics are jpg's, and a bit lower in quality than the original bmp's, but they do well enough.

This is with road traffic at 28, 30+ for GA and AI, SComp. and AG at 4, water at 5, AA done using Mike Krawczyk's Inspector settings. MS Fair Weather.

https://www.dropbox....nh2d/lUsnzREZt1

:smile:

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I guess you got me there Jim! DX10 compatible means all the textures are in FSX format and the product can be used with DX10 turned on. Until recently, those types of products worked great in DX9 and not necessarily perfect in DX10 as, for instance, with DX10 preview turned on you could not see the arrows FSX laid out as the route to your arriving gate. That has been fixed by Steve. But I doubt the developer is going to support a request to fix the arrows on the taxiways leading to your gate as that was a fault of DX10 preview. I'm going to quit now while I'm behind. LOL!

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Bloom is pointless, looks completely fake imho.... ick.... turn it off.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |