Sign in to follow this  
josemartinic

Next PMDG plane, Boeing 727 ?

I want a wood pigeon or ......

2lsb437.jpg

Image removed as image is no longer available.

I remember another aircraft I saw as a kid. I was told it was the last of the piston engined, interconintal airliners. I wish I could remember its name. Big and bulbous and all windows right around the curve of the nose.

Jon

Your description sounds like a Boeing B-377 Stratocruiser ... though it's not been the last piston engined intercontinental airliner

It is interesting the impact majestic Q400 is having, my perseption they are selling a lot, does PMDG still thinks an old plane like 727 will not sell ?

PMDG seem to have a mind of their own regarding choosing what aircraft to do next.  The DC-6 they are doing no one asked for (as far as I know) yet, they say they are not doing old aircraft any more. The calls for a MD-11 v.2 have been scuttled as they didn't make the profit margin they wanted, even though it still sells.

I know the 727 was an extremely popular aircraft and with the Boeing support they are getting I fail to understand why they have chosen against this. I would have thought that popularity sells, maybe I got it wrong?

George

PMDG seem to have a mind of their own regarding choosing what aircraft to do next. The DC-6 they are doing no one asked for (as far as I know) yet, they say they are not doing old aircraft any more. The calls for a MD-11 v.2 have been scuttled as they didn't make the profit margin they wanted, even though it still sells.

I know the 727 was an extremely popular aircraft and with the Boeing support they are getting I fail to understand why they have chosen against this. I would have thought that popularity sells, maybe I got it wrong?

George

I agree with you, the good thing is that any PMDG development will be awesome and I will buy it but still don't lose the hope for my 727!!!

I hope the DC-6 comes with some modern stuff like a 4 or 530 coupled to the auto pilot.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I think developers should keep up with real world changes(aircraft capability wise). I notice developers simulate old aircraft but fail to keep up with updated avionics. With crowded skies, navigational capabilities have become an issue. I remember when FM immunity became a hot topic. Our fleet had the VHF radios changed to allow us to continue operations through Europe. Now RVSM/RNAV is the new topic. Operating with out RVSM standards restricts you from fuel efficient altitudes. When I flew in the airforce, there was a big push to modernize all of our aircraft. Even our mil spec DC-9s were RVSM certified with a full FMS system. When I was flying DC10S, I remember the conversion from old INS to the FMS system. Like the DC9, we had the TVSI and glass EHSI. The military modernized the aircraft in order to meet navigation restrictions. I remember the old 9 waypoint INS system, having to continuously hand jam lat longs to keep up with the flight plan. I hated it!!! Those systems would drift so much and you could see the stream of airliners tracking across the NATS as my jet would be off course, but showing me on course. Having to update position once near a nav aid sucked. Those systems were only good for keeping you awake since you were busy with lat longs. Now days, the aircraft I fly have excellent navigation systems. Aircraft navigation systems are so tight that I get radar altimeter read outs when passing over another aircraft on the same route. RNAV arrival and approaches are the future. In the states, NAV aids are being shut down to cut cost. Some airports have only GPS approaches, which makes things cheaper. 

Whats missing is a developer who specialize in avionics upgrades like in the real world. If you have the money, outfitters will MOD your aircraft to your liking. I know some developers are creating add ons, but they are not fully integrated. You would be amazed at some of the avionic upgrades I see on old aircraft while out flying the world. I love my FSX 727, but she needs some love in the avionic area. When cruising along in my G550, i all ways keep a NAV aid tuned since I'm old school. It's an eye opener when I have new guys fly VOR/ADF approaches using raw data. They are amazed at how sloppy the approaches are compared to flying the same approaches with FMS data. I demonstrate this as I explain that I would never fly a raw data approach in the weather if the FMS is available. I would have both pilots in blue(FMS) with a raw data needle displayed, which is plenty legal.   

B717?

You still see a LOT of these sexy little jets running around.

Sent from my Apple communications device.

B717?

You still see a LOT of these sexy little jets running around.

Sent from my Apple communications device.

Less than 150 in the entire world, that's not a lot.

And most of those 717's will be in Delta paint by the end of the year.  Hopefully we'll get a peek at FANCON from RSR on what might be planned for late 2014 and beyond.  Surely after their current planes in the pipeline are completed they have other models under consideration.

Chris Sunseri

I think developers should keep up with real world changes(aircraft capability wise). I notice developers simulate old aircraft but fail to keep up with updated avionics. With crowded skies, navigational capabilities have become an issue. I remember when FM immunity became a hot topic. Our fleet had the VHF radios changed to allow us to continue operations through Europe. Now RVSM/RNAV is the new topic. Operating with out RVSM standards restricts you from fuel efficient altitudes. When I flew in the airforce, there was a big push to modernize all of our aircraft. Even our mil spec DC-9s were RVSM certified with a full FMS system. When I was flying DC10S, I remember the conversion from old INS to the FMS system. Like the DC9, we had the TVSI and glass EHSI. The military modernized the aircraft in order to meet navigation restrictions. I remember the old 9 waypoint INS system, having to continuously hand jam lat longs to keep up with the flight plan. I hated it!!! Those systems would drift so much and you could see the stream of airliners tracking across the NATS as my jet would be off course, but showing me on course. Having to update position once near a nav aid sucked. Those systems were only good for keeping you awake since you were busy with lat longs. Now days, the aircraft I fly have excellent navigation systems. Aircraft navigation systems are so tight that I get radar altimeter read outs when passing over another aircraft on the same route. RNAV arrival and approaches are the future. In the states, NAV aids are being shut down to cut cost. Some airports have only GPS approaches, which makes things cheaper. 

Whats missing is a developer who specialize in avionics upgrades like in the real world. If you have the money, outfitters will MOD your aircraft to your liking. I know some developers are creating add ons, but they are not fully integrated. You would be amazed at some of the avionic upgrades I see on old aircraft while out flying the world. I love my FSX 727, but she needs some love in the avionic area. When cruising along in my G550, i all ways keep a NAV aid tuned since I'm old school. It's an eye opener when I have new guys fly VOR/ADF approaches using raw data. They are amazed at how sloppy the approaches are compared to flying the same approaches with FMS data. I demonstrate this as I explain that I would never fly a raw data approach in the weather if the FMS is available. I would have both pilots in blue(FMS) with a raw data needle displayed, which is plenty legal.   

Unfortunately coding those kind of avionics is increasingly difficult and time consuming.  But I'd love to have a good bizjet with all of that stuff!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I bought the 777 by vmax and the 727 by flyjsim, both of which I have read are about the same level of fidelity as pmdg but for xp10. I thought I'd fly the 777 more because of all the advanced avionics but actually I prefer the 727. Something about spending 5 minutes at max throttle resulting in engine fires and black smoke that says success!

Its odd, they will be pushing the 6 to a very limited demand I would think. 

Maybe some one who knows how to post a poll can list a bunch of pmdg possibilities and we could vote. would be an interesting thread

A 707 anyone?

ZORAN

Its odd, they will be pushing the 6 to a very limited demand I would think.

Maybe some one who knows how to post a poll can list a bunch of pmdg possibilities and we could vote. would be an interesting thread

A 707 anyone?

727-200 my vote

Unfortunately coding those kind of avionics is increasingly difficult and time consuming.  But I'd love to have a good bizjet with all of that stuff!

The Gulfstream 5 series is a great Biz  jet. Only thing missing is autoland, which you don't really need with EVS and synthetic vision. With EVS i can continue down to 100ft above threshold elevation before I have the runway naturally. Gulfstream refuses to play with the simulation community. I find these aircraft very capable and reliable compared to other biz jets. The aircraft is a top favorite in biz aviation. Too bad they are missing from FSX.