Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

PMDG's XPlane 10 Development Fact Thread [Updated 25NOV13]

Captains,

This thread will provide you with factual information related to PMDG's efforts to release products compatible with the Laminar Research Xplane10 platform.

General Status:
============
PMDG are currently developing a product to be released for the Laminar Research Xplane10 platform.  This product is the first product PMDG have developed for the Xplane platform and as such, details of the project are being kept in-house until the project has reached a sufficiently advanced stage and PMDG are comfortable with the overall quality and functionality of the product.

PMDG are using this first project as a "sandbox" from which to try out new and varied techniques in order to deliver the type of quality simulation experience that is desired by PMDG customers currently using our products in FSX.

Upon completion of this project, we will evaluate the market demand and the Xplane platform's viability as a platform for future growth of our PMDG BAe JS4100, PMDG 737NGX, PMDG 777 and PMDG 747-400v2.0 product lines with an eye toward making these products available to Xplane users.

PMDG does not intend to release any of our legacy products such as the PMDG MD-11 or PMDG 747-400X into the Xplane platform.

Products that enter development following the PMDG 747-400 v2.0 will be considered on a case-by-case basis depending upon their marketability on the Xplane platform.

Licensing and Use:
===============
Products offered on the Xplane platform will initially be offered only with a Home Entertainment licensing option.

Upon evaluation of the Xplane platform as a candidate for expanded licensing options, PMDG will evaluate offering expanded licensing models to cover the full range of non-entertainment applications for our products.

Customer Licensing for Xplane products will be handled directly through PMDG's current eCommerce portal.

Costs for licensing of Xplane based products will vary based upon the license model chosen and the desired use.  This will enable PMDG customers to choose a range of cost options based upon their needs and license requirements, from Home Entertainment up through PMDG Certified Training Solutions customized for specific airline customers.

TRAINING CENTER & AIRLINE CUSTOMIZATION:
=======================================
Training Centers and Airline customers desiring to use Xplane as a simulation platform are encouraged to speak with PMDG directly about making this option avilable in our future product releases for the Xplane platform.

Note: Training enabled licenses depend upon certification from Boeing and licensing by same.  This product line is not yet available.

ETA:
====
Currently, there are no PMDG products licensed for use with the Laminar Research Xplane platform.

We do not have a firm ETA for release of PMDG's pending line of Xplne products.  The first product is in late development but we anticipate a longer than normal testing/qualification period due to our lack of familiarity with the Xplane platform.

HURDLES:
========
PMDG are currently working with our licensing partners to expand and clarify scope restrictions under our current license agreements that prevent us from releasing products for the Xplane platform.  These conversations have been ongoing since approximately July, and we do not have an ETA for their successful conclusion but it is anticipated that we will have an agreement in principle before the end of 2013.

PRICING:
=======
Pricing for PMDG's new line of Xplane products will vary depending upon license type and intended use.  Airline customers are encouraged to contact PMDG directly in order that we can effectively recommend a solution to minimize direct and recurring costs.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Very useful and clear info, as usual. Thanks!

Ivan Lewis

PMDG B737NGX, B777 and B747v3 QOTS II

I assume that DC-6 falls under

Products that enter development following the PMDG 747-400 v2.0 will be considered on a case-by-case basis depending upon their marketability on the Xplane platform.

Right?

I grew up in small business and have been involved in management my entire life. Many people do not understand the complexities involved when you have more than one company trying to work together. Even if they are both wanting the same outcome there are always hurdles. Thanks for the explanation.

Ron 

FANTASTIC NEWS!

No matter what platform any simmer may choose now - having alternatives is always great - therefore a big Thank You to PMDG for this update regarding XPlane!

Very much appreciated!

Cheers, Christoph

Excellent news, thanks!!!

:dance:

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Good news, i'm happy to know you're still working on an add-on for X-Plane 10 ! It's maybe to soon to ask, but are you planning to support the all three operating system X-Plane 10 can run on ?

This was an update was was waiting for.  Best of luck!

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

Such a shame that this thread only has 7 replies while people are getting so hyped over P3D. I hope, one day, XPlane will become our main platform for hobbysimming. It's meant for entertainment and therefore cheaper, and it's technically ahead of P3D (64-bit, great performance). I think there are multiple reasons that are holding people back from XPlane. First and foremost the lack of proper default airport scenery, but probably also the initial reactions to the demo, which caused many to prejudice XPlane 10, but I can assure you the platform underwent many improvements lately, just watch Froogle's latest vid on XPlane, it's quite amazing actually.

Looking forward to this PMDG, great that you're going to be developing for this platform too, I will be one of the earliest to adopt.

I suppose the first factor is lack of quality, brand name airliner sims... i.e. PMDG level company for X-Plane. Which will change soon enough, I guess :)

And then there is the "traditionalist" aspect I guess.

I think that undoubtedly X-Plane is the platform of the future for the non-professional PC-based flight simulation market. At the same time, excluding any military applications, it can as well and IS used in some excellent professional solutions too, as well as P3D ( for instance in the parttnership between LM and ELITE for their FNPT II solutions... ).

I can understand PMDG's cautious approach to this new platform though, because they have a very complex production system prepared for ESP / FSX, and porting it to such a different base of development is quite a risk, and certainly a diifcult step to.

Let's also not forget that some major changes are still expected for instance for X-plane 10.30, which, IMO, will turn this platform even better, and more promissing for investment by 3pds.

So, I will wait for the announcement of PMDG's first product, and will do my best to give them good reasons to decide to stay with us X-Plane users :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Thanks for the info!

Can you at least say which aircraft this first one will be? Or why do you make a secret about it? I think it will help other developpers not to developpp the same aircraft as you.

Thanks in advance & cheers

François

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM

Gents-

The only reason we aren't telling you which airplane is first in development is that we consider it to be a "sandbox" project right now.  (Meaning:  we are learning how to play in the Xplane sandbox.)

The airplane is mostly flying at this point, but it still needs lots of the "magic" that makes a product a PMDG product- and we don't really know how to get that magic stuffed inside Xplane just yet.  We are working on it.

BUT (and this is a BIG BUT):  We want the ability to change our minds, change direction or alter the product completely without having to deal with any disappointment to the forum...  Hence we are keeping everything under wraps.  (I know...  you are shocked to hear that we might suspect THIS forum of creating drama...  it is pretty rare- but stick around for about...  uhm...  three minutes... and you'll see I am right!)

Like any platform Xplane has it's real strengths- along with a couple of weaknesses (from a developer standpoint) that we are learning how to work around.  That is normal and to be expected- but we have one really significant bonus with Xplane:

When we reach out to Laminar and ask for help, clarification, modification or long term discussion of changes to simplify our development process- we get an affirmative response- enthusiastic reception and in a few cases nearly instant updates to test.

With FSX we get nothing...

With P3D we were told (essentially) to make our requests via a public developer forum.

Anyway- we are learning to work with Xplane...  we shall see where it goes long term.

OH- and one last thing:  We are working on preserving the ability to run PMDG produts on all three platforms for which Xplane is enabled...  I can't promise we will still have that capability when we finish- but it is in the decision making process.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

No matter what ultimately happens, PMDG is the "MUST-OWN" airplane for any platform, and I applaud and encourage Captain Randazzo and his team.  This is wonderful news and will be a real shot-in-the-arm for XPlane enthusiasts.

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel