Sign in to follow this  
peppy197

AS Next available now

There's one thing I'm not liking very much with ASN... I'll put some pictures so you can see what I'm mean.

I'm getting the feeling that ASN is not using as much types of clouds as FSGRW does. It seems that ASN is using almost always the same type of clouds... Maybe I'm wrong!

So I went to the window and took some pictures of the sky and yes, I leave near LPPR airport.

FSGRW pic

ASN pic

post-278662-0-50183200-1386591000.jpg

This is what I meant... I think the could injection should be a little bit more refined, but other than that great stuff!

Edited by firehawk44
3 Images removed as they exceeded the 400KB weight limit. See Image Posting Rules under the Forums Tab above.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but will there be a boxed version?

Not sure yet.  There is a CD-delivery option through pcAviator, however.

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but will there be a boxed version?

It's only a 115Mb download so its unlikely. Shops like Simmarket will send you a CD through the post with the product on for a fee if even such a download is a problem for you.

Cheers, Andy.

I was flying into MDW last night and got a lot of turbulence coming through the cloud layers. It was actually difficult to slow down until I got a bit lower. Thought that was pretty cool. One thing I didn't like, and I don't know if this is because of something that's my fault, but the overcast I was flying over most of my route wasn't very thick. There were constant holes and "thinness" to the clouds all the way throught my flight from BWI to MdW. Cloud coverage density was set to maximum.

You can enable Overcast enhancement in ASN options, which will thicken things up at the cost of reduced performance.  Most have reported great results with overcast (even at default non-enhanced).  Perhaps the specific conditions were a factor here.

Damian Clark

2. One of the reasons I love OpusFSX is because the live camera, that is tight with the weather and trackir. Does anyone try to have the weather of ASN and the cameras of OpusFSX, so any turbulence felt in ASN was correctly done by the OpusFSX cameras?

Thanks

I do that, just uncheck the enable live weather option in the OPUS configure page.

Also disable OPUS load weather at startup on the main page might help too.

Works side by side .... no conflict Im aware of.

allen

I wasn't able to close my mouth in admiration yet.

Outstanding work.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

I like it better than as2012 for sure but i still get gaps and holes where  a "thick blanket" should be.Somebody else reported this already.

There's one thing I'm not liking very much with ASN... I'll put some pictures so you can see what I'm mean.

I'm getting the feeling that ASN is not using as much types of clouds as FSGRW does. It seems that ASN is using almost always the same type of clouds... Maybe I'm wrong!

This is what I meant... I think the could injection should be a little bit more refined, but other than that great stuff!

I have to agree.

ASN use more cumulus layer than stratus but especially with high humidity and low temperatures you will find lots of stratus.

In AS2012 there was a slider to control the appearance of stratus clouds. I miss it in ASN because for my taste and regarding real weather there have to be much more stratus clouds than cumulus.

Intel i9 12900K, Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z690-A Wifi D4, GSkill 32gb, RTX 4090

Regards Chris Kathi

I like it better than as2012 for sure but i still get gaps and holes where  a "thick blanket" should be.Somebody else reported this already.

You can enable Overcast enhancement in ASN options, which will thicken things up at the cost of reduced performance.  Most have reported great results with overcast (even at default non-enhanced).  Perhaps the specific conditions were a factor here.

Karl,

I  have seen that option but ,imo, if there are no gaps and holes in the real world asn (or any other engine) should replicate that without "enhancements". If you turn that option on you  never know if what you see is "made up" or like in the rw.

Enhancement thickens the overcast by drawing an additional overcast cloud layer on top.  This does not change the conditions in general and applies to "small holes" where you can occasionally see the ground through the mixed cloud sprites.  Certain gaps (holes) are unavoidable due to the way differing MSL altitudes of adjacent overcast clouds have to at some point be "blended" (for example area southwest is at 2000 MSL and area elsewhere is at 3000 MSL, in the area near southwest there will be a "gap" where the 2000 overcast ends and the 3000 overcast begins).  This is how FSX handles overcast depiction, and this part is (so far) not able to be changed, otherwise there would be a strange ladder visual effect as the clouds butt up against each other.  We have worked on this specifically to limit such gaps by focusing on priority stations (when you have a flight plan loaded) and changing the effective adjacent overcast base heights to match the priority overcast base heights.  But in some cases with large differences, we have to allow the "transition" and thus the gap.

I have to agree.

ASN use more cumulus layer than stratus but especially with high humidity and low temperatures you will find lots of stratus.

In AS2012 there was a slider to control the appearance of stratus clouds. I miss it in ASN because for my taste and regarding real weather there have to be much more stratus clouds than cumulus.

We're doing quite a few calculations to determine the cloud types, and this is indeed based on temperature, air stability and moisture.  There are also visual depiction considerations.  But we do indeed inject just as much stratus vs. cumulus when conditions dictate.  Of course, we appreciate your feedback and this is what helps guide us as we move forward and refine things further.  We did remove the slider to control this as many had requested, based on their argument that a wx engine should be simple and always depict realistic conditions without sliders to "fake" a given look.

Regarding cirrus, that is also using new calculations, but looking at that screenshot, there of course is room for improvement so we're already discussing this and figuring out what we can do here to make it better.  Although I must ask, since it was not shown, was there cirrus overhead?

Damian Clark

Can't complain at the speed of that response  ^_^  I'll certainly be giving this a whirl after the hectic Christmas period is over (I'm visiting Bulgaria, many family visits here in the UK etc) but it looks very promising so far.

I'm in disagreement with a few others that $30 is too much for 'just' a weather engine. For me, being able to run the sim with real-world weather with minimal fuss and distruption (unlike built-in engine etc) adds too much realism to ignore. And at $30, ASN is still cheaper than Opus which is also very highly rated.

Can't complain at the speed of that response  ^_^  I'll certainly be giving this a whirl after the hectic Christmas period is over (I'm visiting Bulgaria, many family visits here in the UK etc) but it looks very promising so far.

I'm in disagreement with a few others that $30 is too much for 'just' a weather engine. For me, being able to run the sim with real-world weather with minimal fuss and distruption (unlike built-in engine etc) adds too much realism to ignore. And at $30, ASN is still cheaper than Opus which is also very highly rated.

Yes but it's not $30 though is it? ... that's the upgrade price; if you don't already own AS2013 then it's $50, which is considerably more than $30! . just saying.

I just tried it and it is fantastic, but I think the AS users are seeing a bigger fundamental 'step up' here.  As an Opus user, ASN is very close to it.  ASN is probably a little better at this stage, but Opus is updated and developed aggresively and regularly.  The low altitude low visibility pics on the thread are no different to those we see in Opus, truly.      It is a little more glamourous than Opus at this point, but IMHO as someone who doesn't own AS Previous, it is definitely not worth $50 for me to move from Opus to this.

Damian thanks for your explanation.  Are things any different in p3d v2 ?

Tia

The volumetric fog in P3Dv2 will lessen the need for overcast enhancement and provide a way to reduce the ability to see through overcast layers, especially at lower visibility ranges.  Other than that, it is very much the same.

Damian Clark