Sign in to follow this  
falcon7xx

Radar Contact 4.3 vs Pro ATC X

I am looking into buying an ATC program.

I have read that Radar Contact has some SID/STAR issues and sometimes Vectors you into mountains and etc. I also read that there is not much going on new with it. Is there no atc for taxiing? That is something else i read.

I cannot really find much with Pro ATC X. I am hoping to get some feedback from people that use it or know more about these programs.

Edited by falcon7xx

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Radar contact has no issues with stars, ask to fly an instrument approach and the controller will leave you alone to fly the procedure handing you off to Approach at the right moment.

It does not need "anything new going on with it" as it just works without issues within the programs design limits.

It also has realistic ATC procedures both in the USA and Europe.

Radar Contact will tell you what runway to taxi to and you can always request another runway, how you get there is up to yourself and your airport charts.

ProATC does not have realistic ATC procedures, not even close.

Largely unsupported by the Developer in as much as he avoids his support forum at all costs, there are a couple of mods over there who seem helpful and will tell you a patch is near but it keeps getting put back.

Radar Contact or Proflight Emulator would be my recommendations,

Radar Contact simply works correctly without fuss so that is what I use 90% of the time.

RC4, most definitely. And if you want to take realism even a step further, get yourself MCE. It lets you talk to the ATC RC4 provides by interfacing with it. I use this combination for most of my offline flights. Since you have to use the correct terminology for requesting clearances, taxi, etc., it's a very good training for online flying as well!

Edited by Mik75

To me, ATC is the weakest area of FSX.  None of the apps come close to live ATC.  I can rarely find a VATSIM controller, though.  If you're flying in the Southwest US then there's Pilot Edge...as real as it could be, probably.  If I *had* to use an ATC program, I'd probably opt for RC4.  To me it's a bit better than default ATC for IFR.

To me it's a bit better than default ATC for IFR.

If you fly in Europe it is a 100% better than default ATC, correct phraseology and transition altitudes are only a start, but having American controllers only in the default ATC ruins immersion when flying over Europe.

But a shout out must go to Proflight emulator for its voices, probably the best implementation so far.

• Upvote 1

Does RC4 have button control or is it voice only?

Out of the box, only button control works, you need a program called MCE (Multi Crew Experience) to be able to talk to ATC.

Out of the box, only button control works, you need a program called MCE (Multi Crew Experience) to be able to talk to ATC.

Thankyou. I prefer button control. I think I will make RC4 my add on for March.

Am I the only one that really likes VoxATC?

No, I like most features of VoxATC also. Calling request to start-up, identifying your parking area/location on the airfield, radio check, notifying atc intentions to switch freq. for weather, call FSS, etc. It is all pretty immersive and good press-to-talk training for GA flyers.

Thankyou. I prefer button control. I think I will make RC4 my add on for March.

I'll put my two cents in for PFE, Like RC4 PFE is button controlled, but MCE can be used if you want voice command. It handles SID's and STARS, but they need to be set up prior to flight. ProATC-X and I think VOXATC are the only ones that can dynamically assign them. Once setup in PFE, ATC will allow you to fly the SID. On approach ATC will allow you to fly the STAR down to the FAF, then it will vector you to the runway. Like RC4 though, at that point you can request to be cleared to final, in which case ATC will not bother you til on final where it will clear you for approach and switch you over to tower. It interacts (not controls it) with the AI system fairly well, not perfect, (Like the other programs). The one big gripe I have with it, is it vectors AI even at cruise. This is a FS design problem with the way AI is handled, the default ATC does the same. It would have been nice though if there was a way to suppress these instructions say any aircraft above transition altitude. Sine like your aircraft, they should be following their own flight plan, so there should not be too many vectors at altitude. It does handle traffic alerts much better and is configurable with altitude separations and distance in the options. Like Mad Dog mentioned with the expansion pack of voices (Which entitles you to an additional free voice pack on their forum.) you have the most variety of voices broken up y region. A total of 99 voices are available, with many configurable options You can get an idea how it qorks and sound on my latest Youtube videos. (Link below on my Sig!)    

Do yourself a favour and stay far away from PRO-ATC at the moment, it is a complete waste of your money.

as someone said earlier, its not even close to be a realistic (or even working) ATC-addon.

And we have been promised a release of a big update almost every week for almost 6 monhts now.

Personally I belive we have been robbed and there are no updates coming at all...

Hopefully I will be proved wrong, but for now, stay away from PRO-ATC...

Here we go again.

ProATC-X works fine for me every time and so if he doesn't for others you have to ask why they say that.

There are three issues to look at.  

Firstly, ProATC-X is a European product and may not model FAA procedures to American tastes.  I can't comment on that and it may or may not be an issue for you. 

Secondly, ProATC-X has an acknowledged weakness in controlling AI aircraft.  You can choose your own source for this (WOAI, UT2 etc etc) but ProATC-X doesn't control its movements. This isn't a huge problem in the air but does mean that you can suffer conflicts when taxi-ing.

Lastly, unlike some products, ProATC-X uses real voices.  However, the vocabulary isn't comprehensive, particularly for real names such as callsigns and control centres.  Perhaps once the promised update comes out, there will be an opportunity to expand the vocabulary to match a stable product.

Edited by ailchim

Well, there are a lot of small things that make it "unusable" for example, there is a lag (that according to the developer) is unavoidable when you confirm instructions, this often makes so that the entering seems like it doesnt react, that makes you press the button again, which makes you initialize descent... which is rather annoying if you are in the beginning of a 5 hour flight...

but the main reason is that the developers say that there will be a huge update (they have been saying that since way before chrsitmas) "it will probably be released next week" and so on...

But nothing happens, this together with they refusing to say what will be updated gives me a feeling that there isnt an update...

It has started to feel like abandonware... thats the reason why im advicing from purchase in this case...

It has got very good potential to be a very useful addon... IF the update comes and works...:)

Here we go again.

ProATC-X works fine for me every time and so if he doesn't for others you have to ask why they say that.

There are three issues to look at.  

Firstly, ProATC-X is a European product and may not model FAA procedures to American tastes.  I can't comment on that and it may or may not be an issue for you. 

Secondly, ProATC-X has an acknowledged weakness in controlling AI aircraft.  You can choose your own source for this (WOAI, UT2 etc etc) but ProATC-X doesn't control its movements. This isn't a huge problem in the air but does mean that you can suffer conflicts when taxi-ing.

Lastly, unlike some products, ProATC-X uses real voices.  However, the vocabulary isn't comprehensive, particularly for real names such as callsigns and control centres.  Perhaps once the promised update comes out, there will be an opportunity to expand the vocabulary to match a stable product.

I don't get delays that I've noticed as a problem.  If I had, I'd have tried not to press buttons until it did respond because I've learned it does always respond correctly - for me.  

In any event, you might like to set the co-pilot to respond to in-flight messages and re-tune the radios:  

• as far as I'm aware that's the way it works in real-life
  • 99% of the time it is only frequency changes, which are no great loss unless you really really like doing them yourself
  • it means you can get up and make a cup of tea whilst in the cruise with no danger of losing ATC contact

The issue of the update is separate to whether it's usable as it is.  There are some quite significant issues - for me, the taxi conflicts are the biggest one - and it will be pretty poor if that update doesn't now come through after the commitments that have been given. In the meantime, I think "abandonware" is very unfair:

• Plenty of people acknowledge they get support for specific problems through the email facility.
  • In essence, they are doing nothing that the likes of PMDG don't do also: i.e. saying that something is going to happen (i.e. the update) and then refusing to enter into debate about it.  I accept that PMDG can rely on their track record in expecting trust but we'll have to see what ProATC-X deliver.

No, I like most features of VoxATC also. Calling request to start-up, identifying your parking area/location on the airfield, radio check, notifying atc intentions to switch freq. for weather, call FSS, etc. It is all pretty immersive and good press-to-talk training for GA flyers.

I agree. I read all the Avsim threads regarding add-on ATC and VoxATC seemed to be the most complete.

• Voice control via PTT
  • AI controlled by ATC in the air and on the ground
  • Full SID/STAR support with the ability to modify
  • IFR/VFR/Unicom/FSS
  • Built-in FO to handle radios
  • US or EU phraseology and methods (with UK/EU add-on)

For me, VoxATC with MCE and GSX is the perfect fit.

I have switched from Pro ATC X to VOX ATC since just before Christmas. It is light years ahead of PATCX in every aspect, excepting PATC has a flight planner that I didn't use anyway, (other than you have to use it to import your own FP).

However, sticking to the original question, RC4 every time. I moved on from RC4, looking for dynamic SID/STAR support and took a wrong turn from there.

Just a note though, I really hope that things eventually come together with PATC. It has potential, but it has many miles to go for me.

Regards,

Edited by wanabflyer

Sounds to me like I need to wait and see what happens to PATCX before deciding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Ok...I just watched a video of Pro ATC X and I must say it was very impressive, if it is accurate and not doctored.

When Pro ATC was released lots of people where raving about it for weeks.

And now it's no good anymore ?

Very strange .....

• Upvote 1

When Pro ATC was released lots of people where raving about it for weeks.
And now it's no good anymore ?

Because the PROATC Developer has stopped any support and vanished from it's own forums for month' now.

The last weeks you could see him maybe twice a month, but no official statements or even a kind of excuse or something like "Hello my dear paying customers, I care about you" etc.

ProATC has had a good base, but is buggy. After the first month of patching, there's now nearly a year without any more support.

And there are major issues left which make ProATC unusable for me.

Sounds to me like I need to wait and see what happens to PATCX before deciding.

So you have read through this thread and still think ProATC is a viable option ?

wow

• Upvote 1